Texas route planning Beaumont to Austin area

iowaone

In about ten days I will be towing the Cyclone from Beaumont (I-10) to Granger Lake near Austin. I would appreciate suggested routes. Especially suggestions around the north end of Houston or avoiding it all together. I will leave Grange Lake for El Paso on beyond so would appreciate suggestion for that leg as well.
Thanks
Gary

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Try routing yourself from Beaumont to Hempstead on Hwy 105 instead of I-10. Then you can go from Hempstead to Austin through College Station to Austin on Hwy 21. I have driven it towing our RV without any problems. Decent roads too

pegmikef

Try routing yourself from Beaumont to Hempstead on Hwy 105 instead of I-10. Then you can go from Hempstead to Austin through College Station to Austin on Hwy 21. I have driven it towing our RV without any problems. Decent roads too

I was gonna say the same thing. Keeps you completely out of the Houston traffic mess.

iowaone

Thanks guys, but I am a little confused. 105 doesn't seem to go to Hempstead, it does Brenham. I guess I need more detail.

iowaone

Thanks guys, that gives me some ptions. Anyone els have ideas on how to ge o Granger lake from Beaumont?

osims

bsims
We go thru Houston on I10 and turn north on 71 past Columbus. Houston not that bad if you go thru between 10:00-2:00.

hcriddle

If you take 105 all the way to Brenham you can hit 290 to Austin. We live about halfway between Houston and Austin on 290. If you are headed to Granger you can take 95 out of Elgin up through Taylor. All that was pretty easy traveling last year when I came through there.

pegmikef

Not much for hills on 105. I just took it through Beaumont to pick up I10 to avoid Houston. Was coming from San Angelo, TX via Brownwood and Temple so I could avoid the Ft Hood traffic.