Onan 5500

branson4020

Icantre Member
Electronic Fuel Injection only applies to the gasoline version of that generator. Except for toy haulers, most folks have a propane powered generator. I believe all the new Onan gasoline engines are EFI.

porthole

Retired
Onan now has an 7500 watt inverter style diesel generator that should fit in the 5500 space.

Looked and listened to it at Hershey. That would be my choice if I had to replace the Onan we have now.

Would be a nice option down the road for the non toy hauler rigs.

They are already becoming the genny of choice in the high end 5th wheels.

Jim.Allison

The only choice you have in the 5500LP is the amperage of the 2 breakers. Depending on the type of rig you have, one config is a 30 amp/20 amp, the other config is 30 amp/30 amp. You probably want the 30 amp/30 amp

Here is the 30/30 amp. it is available in gasoline also.

http://www.norwall.com/products/Cummins-Onan-QG-5500-Propane-RV-Generator-5.5HGJAB-1270

IMHO, unless you dry camp ALOT you can't beat the LP for clean burning, efficient, and reliable power. Gas and diesel is just nasty and very dangerous.

are all onan 5500 now EFI or do you have to request for the EFI

Jim.Allison

You can buy a lot of propane for the difference in price,

http://www.norwall.com/brands/Onan-RV.html?gclid=CL2MlrvbssMCFQisaQod4Z0A1A

http://power.cummins.com/onanpowerW...21&parentId=510&linkName=Recreational Vehicle

$3900 for 5500 LP v. $7478 for the 6K diesel.
279 LBS Propane v. 440 LBS Diesel.
64 decibels at 10 feet for LP v. 66 decibels at 10 feet for diesel.

I dont know, but for me, the choice is clear, LP and an extra LP cylinder seems like the better choice.

You can cut way down on fuel usage by installing auto gen start, and installing solar to keep your batts up. It is often overlooked that charging batts are a real fuel burner, and if you have auto gen start for the AC system then the generator starts when the thermostat calls for AC.

danemayer

how long will 30# of propane last with a 5500 let say at half load?
Half load consumes .8 gallons /hour of LP. A 30# tank has 7.5 Gallons. That's about 9 hours. If it's cold, you won't be able to use the entire 7.5 gallons.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sorry I will stay with my Hondas. On a hot summer weekend tailgate I run from noon Friday to noon Sunday approximately. So 48 hours run time since it is upper 90's outside my ac runs almost entire time there. With propane hitting $4 or so a gallon right now it is about $150 for a weekend. I will burn close to 18 gallons of unleaded during that time and even at $3.50 a gallon for it, that is about $70. That is half the cost for just the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

I get right at 8 hours out of one cylinder on a normal Texas summer day with the AC going wide open. But with auto gen start and the thermostat set at 78 or 76, I can get 12 hours. Dan I have my bottle in my garage on a long hose, I set the bottles in front of the generator exhaust pipe and they don't freeze.
Half load consumes .8 gallons /hour of LP. A 30# tank has 7.5 Gallons. That's about 9 hours. If it's cold, you won't be able to use the entire 7.5 gallons.

porthole

Retired
You can buy a lot of propane for the difference in price,

http://www.norwall.com/brands/Onan-RV.html?gclid=CL2MlrvbssMCFQisaQod4Z0A1A

http://power.cummins.com/onanpowerW...21&parentId=510&linkName=Recreational Vehicle

$3900 for 5500 LP v. $7478 for the 6K diesel.
279 LBS Propane v. 440 LBS Diesel.
64 decibels at 10 feet for LP v. 66 decibels at 10 feet for diesel.

I dont know, but for me, the choice is clear, LP and an extra LP cylinder seems like the better choice.

You can cut way down on fuel usage by installing auto gen start, and installing solar to keep your batts up. It is often overlooked that charging batts are a real fuel burner, and if you have auto gen start for the AC system then the generator starts when the thermostat calls for AC.

It is not always about the money, and you are comparing apples to oranges.

The larger Onan LP is 6500 watts at 67 DB at 10'. The 64 rating is for the 5500. The 5500 is about 70% the capacity of the diesels.

The diesel hybrid and diesel inverter are comparable in some specs, is 7500 - 8000w+ at 66db. And, half load of 7500 & 8000, the fuel rate is just under .5 GPH. Since it is a variable speed genny you get the added benefit of RPM's based on load, 1400-2600, max 3000.

"If" we had a diesel genset in our trailer, there would be no doubt I would have the capability to connect my trucks fuel supply (110 gallons) to the RV. We had an 8K onan in our boat and it ran from the time we left the dock until we were back and tied up. Diesels cost more up front, but they add some piece of mind when you tend to relay on your genset.

Jim.Allison

It always about love, money, power, and efficiency.

It is not always about the money, and you are comparing apples to oranges.

The larger Onan LP is 6500 watts at 67 DB at 10'. The 64 rating is for the 5500. The 5500 is about 70% the capacity of the diesels.

The diesel hybrid and diesel inverter are comparable in some specs, is 7500 - 8000w+ at 66db. And, half load of 7500 & 8000, the fuel rate is just under .5 GPH. Since it is a variable speed genny you get the added benefit of RPM's based on load, 1400-2600, max 3000.

"If" we had a diesel genset in our trailer, there would be no doubt I would have the capability to connect my trucks fuel supply (110 gallons) to the RV. We had an 8K onan in our boat and it ran from the time we left the dock until we were back and tied up. Diesels cost more up front, but they add some piece of mind when you tend to relay on your genset.