ATF: North Trail - Rear bumper on my North Trail

Davephoto

I would like to know how much weight the rear bumper will hold. I'd like to add a 2 inch receiver so I can add a bike rack that will hold 2 bikes weighing approximately 35 to 40 lbs each. Taking into consideration the spare tire, or if someone can suggest a good bike rack that won't cause stress on the bumper. I had a bike rack on my previous camper and it broke the welds so I'm very worried about putting one on.

danemayer

Hi Davephoto,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of helpful information here along with a great bunch of friendly people.

I expect you'll get some responses from other North Trail owners shortly.

jnbhobe

You got the answer from your last camper. I have never seen one that was solid unless you make it that way.

Davephoto

I also should have said... I owned an Arctic Fox fifth wheel and carried 4 bikes on a rack for years attached to the bumper and never had a problem. The one I had a problem with was a Forest River Surveyor Sport, my thought is it was made cheap and the welds were not as strong.

'Lil Guy'

Just got rid of my NT for a small 5er. As i recall the bumper was plenty stout and should have no problem with a bike rack. Not for towing though. Mine was the Caliber Edition and had the bumper mounted pullout for bikes.Yours should be just as strong. Suppose to hold 250 lbs. Just have a good welder install it for you because the 4" tubing on the bumper isn't really thick walled. If it was for me, I would put the 1 1/2 " receiver on. Plenty of good bike racks for the small cars out there with 1small receivers. Now you have a place for your 16' hitch mounted flagpole also.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I would like to know how much weight the rear bumper will hold. I'd like to add a 2 inch receiver so I can add a bike rack that will hold 2 bikes weighing approximately 35 to 40 lbs each. Taking into consideration the spare tire, or if someone can suggest a good bike rack that won't cause stress on the bumper. I had a bike rack on my previous camper and it broke the welds so I'm very worried about putting one on.

[My North Trail came with the slide out rear bumper and bike rack for two. Another HOC had a pair of Honda generators on his rear bumper without any problems. I will look in my owners manual but remember it was around 300 lbs.]

F_Goose

I just recieved our new north trail and have been going thru the manuals. It states The rear bumper can handle 200 lbs plus the spare.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just recieved our new north trail and have been going thru the manuals. It states The rear bumper can handle 200 lbs plus the spare.

Welcome to the Heartland Family!

We have the slide-out rear bumper on our 2013 Trail Runner, and we were told that it can hold 250 pounds total by our dealer!

However, that day when we picked up our trailer, there was another Heartland trailer sitting right next to it on the lot with the slide-out bumper on the ground, and when I asked what was going on, the person doing our PDI said that the owner of that trailer put his generator on the rear slide-out bumper, and it was too much weight and broke the bumper off (not covered under warranty, by the by).

Now, we either put our two mountain bikes on it or we have a Rubbermaid Tote with our fire wood in it that we put on that rear bumper . . . but nothing else!

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg

Davephoto

Thank you so much for your reply...we're looking at lighter bikes with a smaller bike rack. We use to have 4 bikes on the rack when the kids came on our Arctic Fox without a problem. Still a bit cautious 😊

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We had the rear bumper bike rack on our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner . . .

And while I do kinda' miss it . . . it really was a PITA to put the bikes on it.

We don't have it on our new Prowler, but when we do take our bikes we just put them inside of the trailer!

Much easier than spending hours trying to bungee cord the bikes to that rear bumper . . .

We found that it was such a PITA to put the bikes back on the rear bumper thingy that most of the time we just left them on the bumper rack and never removed them until we got home!

CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg CheyenneMntSunset-IMG_2100.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg

Notice how that at each of these campouts (three different campgrounds) . . . the bikes are still on the rear bumper bike rack?????

We never took them off at each of these campgrounds . . .

GOTTOYS

You got the answer from your last camper. I have never seen one that was solid unless you make it that way.
Totally agree! Can't see how this one would be any different. Bring it to a good welding shop and have it reinforced before you put on a bike rack. Then you won't have to worry about it...Don

Mattman

So I want a bike rack for camping. No one seems crazy about the rear bumper racks. But thinking about getting a front hitch for my excursion. I will need lots of room for the kids bikes. Front hitch sound smarter?