Pull Test, Tug Test or No Test?

Grey Ghost

We were instructed on this test over 15 years ago when we bought our first 5ver and have been doing ever since. Just seems like part of hooking up now and do it without really thinking about it. I've seen people that don't preform the test and I've seen the results on their pickup rails, not a pretty sight! Guess I will continue to preform the test as long as I'm able to pull the 5ver around.:cool:

SeattleLion

We were instructed on this test over 15 years ago when we bought our first 5ver and have been doing ever since. Just seems like part of hooking up now and do it without really thinking about it. I've seen people that don't preform the test and I've seen the results on their pickup rails, not a pretty sight! Guess I will continue to preform the test as long as I'm able to pull the 5ver around.:cool:
This http://www.blueox.com/Uploads/AppGuides/BXR4701.pdf makes hitching worry free.

SeattleLion

Everything Mechanical is subject to failure. Better to still do a pull, tug and light check before taking off!

We always do a light check. The Blue Ox catcher is stationary and not going to fail. Newer hitches like the Companion are locked if the arm is in. We always check that and lock it in place.

brianlajoie

I had a super glide tech how me how to hitch and un hitch. He had me use the IBC to both bump hitch and test pull. The legs are almost touching the ground on the pull test.

rxbristol

Do the tug test that is what will put pressure on the 5th wheel jaws to make sure they are closed. I put my trailer brake up to 8 or 9 to make sure my trailer brakes are set before I tug.
I would not lift my landing legs up to test because then you run the risk of dropping the trailer on the landing gear and jamming them. My Reese 5th wheel hand book
recommends doing the tugs test also.

This is what I do.