New Goose box hitch attached

Hello all, I needed some extra room in my bed of the truck and wanted to do away with the Dodge factory Picture frame adapter and reese hitch to make a little room for my 60 gallon Fuel Cell / Toolbox combo. So I wanted to share some photos and give some feedback on the Reese Goosebox that I installed over the weekend. The install went relatively simple, removed the 10 bolts on the original pin box, and it slid right out it's not too heavy about 40 Lbs, easily managed with 2 people. The only challenge of the install of the Goose box is the wight (150lbs) and awkwadness of the size. The two of us lifted it up and installed one bolt each side to hold it in place. Once in place is was a whole lot more manageable and bolted up the 6 of the 8 required grade 8 hardware bolts (3 per side), it's just getting it up and holding in place to slide bolts in to hold it that's difficult, but this can be overcome easily with more people. We could only put 3 bolts in as one of the holes was off on each side and we had to drill the through the frame using a 13/16 drill bit to allow the bolt to fit. Outside of the need to drill and the weight there was no issues at all and the total install time was about 3-4 hours.

The ride felt like it was an improvement, as there appeared to be less chaulking and bumping coming from the trailer transferred into the truck frame as the hitch airbags that are built in holding 50 PSI appeared to be doing what they were designed to do.
I can say it was an all around good investment, allowing me to increase my traveling range and easy access to necessary tools in the invent something happens. Oh yeah and no more struggling with lifting in and out about the 200 lbs of the adapter and hitch into the bed every time we went somewhere, now it's just a drop in gooseneck ball, connect the 2 chains and were rolling!!!!

Goosebox 1.jpg

goosebox 2.jpg

goosebox 3.jpg

Fuel Cell.jpg

Goosebox 4.jpg

RV and Truck.jpg

lwmcguir

We have towed 5th wheels and GN's since they were designed. This is the best Pin Box we have ever used and we tried almost all of them in one form or another. You will really enjoy it as you already noted. We used the GN adapters for years with good results but this design is so much better. Enjoy your travels.

bobca1

Would I be able to install this on a cyclone? My back can't take much more muscling the fifth wheel hitch every time I want to haul something in my truck. This looks like perfect solution! I see Reese has 2 sizes 16k any 20k my cyclone 3110 has gvwr of 16k but I am thinking I should spend the extra $ and go with 20k. Anyone else have experience using this hitch with a Cyclone? I have the gooseneck prep in my truck bed so installing the ball and chain holders will be a cinch.

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

Chippendale

Would I be able to install this on a cyclone? My back can't take much more muscling the fifth wheel hitch every time I want to haul something in my truck. This looks like perfect solution! I see Reese has 2 sizes 16k any 20k my cyclone 3110 has gvwr of 16k but I am thinking I should spend the extra $ and go with 20k. Anyone else have experience using this hitch with a Cyclone? I have the gooseneck prep in my truck bed so installing the ball and chain holders will be a cinch.

Check out the Andersen Ultimate 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel hitch before you do anything.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/rail-mount--ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

I have had one for over a year and am very happy with it. It is light weight, mine is about 60 lbs and they now have an aluminum one that they show a video of a little girl removing it from the truck bed. I purchased mine at the Tweety’s RV supply home show room for it seems like about $350 to $400. A guy was there who I was led to believe is the owner of Tweety’s and he said he was using one to tow his toy hauler and was very happy with it. Be sure and watch the videos.

bobca1

Check out the Andersen Ultimate 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel hitch before you do anything.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/rail-mount--ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

I have had one for over a year and am very happy with it. It is light weight, mine is about 60 lbs and they now have an aluminum one that they show a video of a little girl removing it from the truck bed. I purchased mine at the Tweety’s RV supply home show room for it seems like about $350 to $400. A guy was there who I was led to believe is the owner of Tweety’s and he said he was using one to tow his toy hauler and was very happy with it. Be sure and watch the videos.
Thanks for the link. I have ram factory 5th wheel/gooseneck prep so I would need an option compatible with that. If I am looking at their site correctly they have a hitch that uses the gooseneck ball? If I was to use the gooseneck ball then I would prefer the goose box especially since is has integrated shocks/airbag.

bobca1

Thanks for the link. I have ram factory 5th wheel/gooseneck prep so I would need an option compatible with that. If I am looking at their site correctly they have a hitch that uses the gooseneck ball? If I was to use the gooseneck ball then I would prefer the goose box especially since is has integrated shocks/airbag.

Ok I just watched their YouTube video. Pretty cool setup. Wish I would have seen this before I bought the ~200lb Reese hitch last year!

Chippendale

My Ford F350 DRW has their in bed 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel tow prep package which I think is similar to what you have, and since I had purchased my Andersen hitch to replace my Reese 16K hitch in my old truck, I had to get the rail mount version of the hitch. To use it in my Ford, I had to get a Reese 30156 “picture frame” rail mount box to attach to the bed of the truck. I purchased it from Amazon or Tweety’s because it was cheaper than the Ford dealer. I think the rail mount hitch which I have is cheaper than the goose mount hitch.

I have heard that a regular goose neck extender can cause stress on the trailer frame and cause frame damage. I don’t know about the goose box you are talking about. I guess it is because the trailer frame is engineered to attach to the truck up high, and when using the Andersen hitch, the trailer doesn’t know there is anything different, no unusual stress. Andersen has a $5,000,000 insurance policy in case a frame company tries to blame frame failure on their hitch. http://www.andersenhitches.com/uploads/Supplemental Warranty - Ultimate 2015.pdf

I guess it is just what a person wants, I am very happy with mine, and will continue to use it if I move up to a Big Horn or Landmark which I may. All that is involved in moving it to another trailer is removing a couple of bolts. If you would like to talk to me, private message me with your phone number and I will call you. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

PS: I am thinking about installing air bags on my truck, but not sure I really need them with the trailer I have now.

My mind says overloaded rear axle, especially with the extra fuel. Nice looking rig though.

Actually, I’m still under the weight limit of the rear axle, as I removed the 200 LBS for the fifth wheel hitch hitch and dodge frame adapter.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to give everyone an update on this as I have a little over 5000 miles on the track and trailer and I’m still extremely happy with the goosebox. There has been no issues with the trailer, the goose box or the truck, and look forward to many more miles of enjoyment. The only small issue was the air relief valve, which I pulled and out and have not had an issues since. It’s nice to get to a campground and just un-hook, pull the gooseneck ball and store it behind the rear seat and have a full bed on the truck if needed.

knorth1

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 short bed with air bags(which I will never be without on future trucks) and the Reese Goosebox which I really like except when i recently upgraded to a Road Warrior 427 I notice i get excessive up and down shocks when I travel on highway. Air pressure is at max. 50 lbs. psi and all is level when loaded. Anyone have any recommendations to alleviate the load shocks?

gtsum2

You have a 427 road warriOr on a ram 2500?? That might be your issue there. You are way overweight on payload and cgvwr. That thing is what...20k maxed out...16k dry with a claimed dry pin weight of over 3600? Great looking rig, but it's a big one.

For comparison, I have a fuzion 345 (16500 loaded) and I'm at max capacity on my 2014 ram 3500srw.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMP

I have a RW427 on a RAM 3500 DRW Crew Cab Limited. Depending on year and engine/transmission of your Ram 2500, you are probably max CGVWR somewhere ~17k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74Beeper

Thanks for the info on this guys! I have a 2017 Ram 2500 short bed crew and just bought a 2009 Razor 3612TS and have been eyeballing the Goosebox.

How much height adjustment in there with this box? I have a 2" lift in the rear with 35" tires and hoping there is some adjustment to mount the box a bit higher.

Thanks!

bobca1

I have decided to go with Goosebox. Anderson hitch is interesting option too, but I am hoping the air bag/shocks in the Goosebox will help with the chucking. Went to eTrailer to order but looks like there are 3 different options depending on the pin box. Anyone here know which pinbox is used on Cyclone 3110? I will do a visual check this weekend if any uncertainly.

Goose Box # RP94622 will fit Lippert 0719, 1621 and 1621HD pin boxes as well as Fabex PB-600 Series pin boxes and is rated for 16,000 pounds.

Goose Box # RP94622-61301 will fit Lippert 0115, 1116 and 1716 pin boxes and is rated for 16,000 pounds.

Goose Box # RP94623 will fit Lippert 1621 and 1716 pin boxes and is rated for 20,000 pounds.

Thanks,
Bob

bobca1

In case anyone else is wondering, Cyclone has 1621HD pinbox. Since pinbox is rated 18k, I am ordering 20k rated one.

38c05f056cb91ab16e901824ac3c0b2c.jpg

bobca1

20k goosebox arrived this week, and I installed today. No issues the goosebox lined up fine, as it recommends in instructions I installed one hole lower than the pinbox I took off. Clearance is good. I installed it myself by using a floor jack in bed of truck to raise it into place. It is heavy! Hand trucked it into back of truck up my motorcycle ramps. Only a few miles of driving with it but I like it so far. Trip to CO river next week so will be able to tell then if shocks help.
So glad to have the bed of my truck back again! I wish I would have known about this hitch when I bought the trailer not sure why anyone would want a fifth wheel if truck has gooseball option.
Anyone in LA area want a Reese fifth wheel hitch that fits Ram?

767b1b8086905bc5fe4c84f491321389.jpg
c77632bd58058f95d651c2b815439730.jpg
a42892dd04686397ed99289ecd99a823.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

74Beeper

20k goosebox arrived this week, and I installed today. No issues the goosebox lined up fine, as it recommends in instructions I installed one hole lower than the pinbox I took off. Clearance is good. I installed it myself by using a floor jack in bed of truck to raise it into place. It is heavy! Hand trucked it into back of truck up my motorcycle ramps. Only a few miles of driving with it but I like it so far. Trip to CO river next week so will be able to tell then if shocks help.
So glad to have the bed of my truck back again! I wish I would have known about this hitch when I bought the trailer not sure why anyone would want a fifth wheel if truck has gooseball option.
Anyone in LA area want a Reese fifth wheel hitch that fits Ram?

767b1b8086905bc5fe4c84f491321389.jpg
c77632bd58058f95d651c2b815439730.jpg
a42892dd04686397ed99289ecd99a823.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thats great man! I'm fixing to order mine next week. I kinda figured a guy could do it alone, with a jack. I was planning on using my motorcycle jack.

Is yours a 16k or 20k?

bobca1

Thats great man! I'm fixing to order mine next week. I kinda figured a guy could do it alone, with a jack. I was planning on using my motorcycle jack.

Is yours a 16k or 20k?
I got the 20k one, ordered from etrailer. I was very happy with how precise its built slides right in and all the bolt holes lined up perfectly.