2014 nt 32buds

dghofstee

Loud Mouthed Member
This is our 3 week old NT 32BUDS with bunks and the outdoor kitchen. The only upgrade besides TV size, is the LED light strip under the awning. Its quite nice when boondocking

We tow it with a surprisingly capable 2012 Chevrolet Express van 3500 on rear air bags. I also converted the rear end to 4.11's...

Attachments

• Moose_Trailer.jpg
    Moose_Trailer.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20150204_173115.jpg
    20150204_173115.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20150131_160524.jpg
    20150131_160524.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 73
  • Moose_Trailer2.jpg
    Moose_Trailer2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 78

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Sweet setup!

I used to pull our old Coachman travel trailer with a Dodge 3500 15-passenger van . . . it was a trailer hauling beast!

I'd probably still be hauling with it if it didn't get rear ended and totaled back in 2001 (mid-90's Ford F150 4x4 going about 45mph hit me while stopped at a red light).

That DrawTite hitch I had installed is probably what kept that van from being smashed into a tiny ball . . .

Vansiderear.jpg Vanfront.jpg

These shots really don't show how bad the van was destroyed . . .

The only issue I had with it was that the overhang of the van behind the rear wheels was so long that I had to switch the hitch drop-downs twice when backing over the curb or pulling it out of the yard over the curb as the hitch would bottom out on the curb and stop the truck and the back of the trailer would drag on the ground with the higher ball in place.

Ironically, I find myself having to do that again with my new truck and trailer combo, except that now I only switch it out before I back it in or when I pull it out of the yard as the rear of the new trailer is much higher than our old one.

dghofstee

Loud Mouthed Member
Sweet setup!
The only issue I had with it was that the overhang of the van behind the rear wheels was so long that I had to switch the hitch drop-downs twice when backing over the curb or pulling it out of the yard over the curb as the hitch would bottom out on the curb and stop the truck and the back of the trailer would drag on the ground with the higher ball in place.

Ironically, I find myself having to do that again with my new truck and trailer combo, except that now I only switch it out before I back it in or when I pull it out of the yard as the rear of the new trailer is much higher than our old one.

JohnD,

I totally understand the overhang problem. When I was in the market for a van, I only wanted the Chevrolet 15 passenger, because the ford 15 passenger vans have the large overhang as well. I also wanted a lifted van to help avoid the dragging problems. I have a 6" lift on 34" tires on my van. That brings in a whole different slew of problems with all of the crazy electronic stability control gadgets.

That rear end damage on your van looks bad. Good thing you had a hitch on it. I pity the fool who rear ends my van with the hitch on it.

Attachments

• 10404416_10202991935790630_6155161250345688416_n.jpg
    10404416_10202991935790630_6155161250345688416_n.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 34

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
JohnD,

I totally understand the overhang problem. When I was in the market for a van, I only wanted the Chevrolet 15 passenger, because the ford 15 passenger vans have the large overhang as well. I also wanted a lifted van to help avoid the dragging problems. I have a 6" lift on 34" tires on my van. That brings in a whole different slew of problems with all of the crazy electronic stability control gadgets.

That rear end damage on your van looks bad. Good thing you had a hitch on it. I pity the fool who rear ends my van with the hitch on it.

I know!

That overhang is just one of many issues one finds when buying their first (of many) RV's . . .

But we live and learn!

By the way, I am happy to report that the Ford F150 4x4 that rear ended me was in worse shape than my van was!

It was completely destroyed to the point it had to be towed away where I actually drove mine home, but discovered the tranny was destroyed the next day.

Unfortunately, he was an illegal alien from Mexico and fled the US the very next day as he had no insurance or Colorado drivers license . . .

What a drag for me . . . and what an insurance mess that was as well!

My advice, if you are ever in an auto accident, DO NOT refuse medical assistance no matter what, because if you do it declines many insurance coverages!

I wasn't hurt, and I knew it, but by refusing medical coverage AT THE SCENE, I lost a lot of standard insurance coverages.

What really totaled out the van was the fact not only would any of the rear doors and side doors open after the accident (due to frame misalignment), but the drive shaft was plunged into and through the bell housing of the transmission.

That also was the end of a 20 year and six van total era (I used to be a mobile DJ and used the vans to haul my sound equipment).

I replaced that van with my former Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 pickup, which was just replaced with a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 to haul my trailer with . . .

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg Camper10767.jpg CamperInYard-IMG_0069.jpg Campsite-IMGP0810.jpg RifleCO2014-IMG_2931.jpg Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg SunCityRV-RVPark-IMG_20150122_075627618.jpg TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg

By the way . . . join the Heartland Owners Club (HOC)!

It is free for the first year, and fun as heck!

You'll meet so many new friends it is unbelievable, not to mention that you'll have a blast at the HOC Rallies!

We've been to three HOC Rallies thus far and will never miss another!