Rear axle on 4100 came loose on right side and is rubbing tire on right middle axle.

chief916

Hi again...Is there anyone out there who could give me a good reliable "concerned" POC name and phone number up to Heartland???? Plus any advice from anyone who has been through this before. A little back ground....Bought my Cyclone 4100 King. Jan 06, 2015 from camping world of Raleigh. towed it home 60 miles where it sat until Jan 29th. due to cold and wet weather at which time I would go through it and fam myself with the unit. Noticed the genset would start then cut off in a couple of minutes....no gas in the tank. Soooooo how does the tech do a good PDI on the coach??? He don't. Put gas in and still has the same problem. Made appointment with CW to bring it in on 29th Jan. About 5 miles out from dealer camper starts to feel squirlly...thinking its the wind I slow to 50 mph. and pull into CW. Get out and notice left front tire unravelling. look on the right side and the 3rd right axle tire had come forward and hit the second right tire effectivly destroying 2 of the 3 tires on the right side. Gonna be a long day. They tell me that they will have to keep it a day or two to work on it and because we had just bought it they would prioritze the work. I order all new tires and have them drop shipped to the installer. who says he will call me when He gets word from CW that its ready. Friday 13 Feb...installer calls and says to meet him up at a place called Camp town, which is a defunct RV sales center, about 2 or 3 miles down the road so we can install new tire on Mon 15 Feb. I call CW to coordinate the procedure and I just happened to ask what did they find out when they fixed the coach??? She said...we havent fixed it yet cause we're short on techs so we moved it down to our storage yard...you got it....Camp town to await maintenance. Sooo you have let it sit for 2 weeks and havent done anything to it. She told me she would..TRY to get it in this week for repair. I got so depressed reading all the negetive comments on the P***ed Off section on the internet. I called the tire installer and told him what had transpired. He suggested that I call the manufacturer and relay my story. I told him it was used..he said didnt matter. Something similiar had happened to him with his Forest River 5er and the forest River people were all over it and he got his 5er fixed and back on the road in no time. I could really use some sound advice right about now.
v/r
Ben

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Its a 2014 model Jim.

So I'm thinking it's properly out of factory warranty. When you call Heartland I would tell them what happen and also be ready to have pics that you can send to them. Be calm and and don't demand. Just ask a lot of questions to them.

good luck and keep us posted.

chiefneon

Howdy!

I was told by Camping World when we purchased our Cyclone that you get "VIP" treatment when you purchase from them and warranty work is moved to the head of the line.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

AAdams

We had the rear axle come loose on our '15 RW 390. I noticed it when we were on the road and had pulled in to a truck stop for fuel I called Heartland, they called Dexter who sent out a mobile tech. He had to find the right size I-bolt that sheared off. He found one that was right size, but to long so he threaded down to where it needed to be, cut it to size, installed it, tightened all the 3 axles. All axles where between 45-50 ft/lbs instead of the 80 required. We were off the road a total of 2-1/2 hours. Heartland gets the frame with the axles already installed by Dexter. BTW I have ALWAYS had a problem with CW. They always want to keep it for weeks. The last time we went to CW Service, if you can actually call it that, I was told the appointment time was just the time to talk to the service adviser, not the time they would do the work, they'll get to it when they can.

danemayer

Hi chief916,

Sorry you're going through all this.

If you bought the trailer used from Camping World, I think that's where you'll have to focus your efforts.

Heartland and most supplier and appliance warranties apply to the first owner only. With the axles and suspension, it's possible Lippert or Dexter might step up and cover a manufacturing defect for you (Dexter has a 2 year warranty), but there would have to be some evidence of a manufacturing defect.

Perhaps when CW actually starts looking at the axles and suspension, they might have an opinion about root cause.

Given that the generator problem, and the suspension problem leading to the tire damage, both occurred immediately after purchase, it's likely the unit had these problems at the time of sale. That invites a question to CW about whether they do any kind of inspection and testing on a used unit prior to selling it. And of course, whether CW will provide any post-sale support.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chief, it seems like everybody is assuming you bought it used. If that is not the case call HL service ASAP. Lippert/Dexter builds the frame and suspension. I would call Lippert also. Phone# is on the Portal page on the left side. Do you know what caused the axles to move forward?? Happened to the Horn 5 years ago and Lippert sent someone to my home to repair it and it was over 1 year old.

caissiel

The same thing happened to my new unit. The rear axle spring center bolt sheared on one side and the axle slipped back by 2 inches. I was able to loosen it and push the axle to center and drove 1000 miles till I arrived at my destination. Called heartland and they send me 4 springs and larger plates and u-bolts. I ended up paying for the parts because I kept the old 3 months old springs for spares.
Any trailer parts store has center bolts. They are all the same size and the length do not mather as they can extend past the top plates on the spring pack.
All my u-bolts got loose because the springs are torqued at the factory with no load. Due to top of axle application the spring plies need to have a flat section at the plates. Once loaded I torqued them to 60 ftlb. Never had to retorque in 5 1/2 years and 50k miles.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that it is not uncommon to lose a suspension bolt.
I have had two of them break in the spring eye but was fortunate to catch then before they fell out.
My brother, not so lucky. He lost two tires as well when the rubbed together.
So check all of your suspension bolt regularly.

Peace
Dave

chief916

So I'm thinking it's properly out of factory warranty. When you call Heartland I would tell them what happen and also be ready to have pics that you can send to them. Be calm and and don't demand. Just ask a lot of questions to them.

good luck and keep us posted.

My wife took pictures and I'll have her down load them so I can show Heartland what has happened. thank you.

chief916

Howdy!

I was told by Camping World when we purchased our Cyclone that you get "VIP" treatment when you purchase from them and warranty work is moved to the head of the line.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

You know Chief...they told me the same thing.

chief916

Hi chief916,

Sorry you're going through all this.

If you bought the trailer used from Camping World, I think that's where you'll have to focus your efforts.

Heartland and most supplier and appliance warranties apply to the first owner only. With the axles and suspension, it's possible Lippert or Dexter might step up and cover a manufacturing defect for you (Dexter has a 2 year warranty), but there would have to be some evidence of a manufacturing defect.

Perhaps when CW actually starts looking at the axles and suspension, they might have an opinion about root cause.

Given that the generator problem, and the suspension problem leading to the tire damage, both occurred immediately after purchase, it's likely the unit had these problems at the time of sale. That invites a question to CW about whether they do any kind of inspection and testing on a used unit prior to selling it. And of course, whether CW will provide any post-sale support.

Thanks Dan...i'm gonna work both angles. Dealer and Manufacturer.

chief916

Chief, it seems like everybody is assuming you bought it used. If that is not the case call HL service ASAP. Lippert/Dexter builds the frame and suspension. I would call Lippert also. Phone# is on the Portal page on the left side. Do you know what caused the axles to move forward?? Happened to the Horn 5 years ago and Lippert sent someone to my home to repair it and it was over 1 year old.

Bob I did buy it used....and I'm also gonna give a call to Lippert and get their bend on this. This is good to know cause I had'nt thought about that. Thank you.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have recently discovered the springs are shot on our 2013 Trail Runner, and last night after looking at a series of photos from five minutes after we pulled out of the dealers lot until just last week, and then comparing them to photos on Heartland's website and the brouchure we got from our dealer, plus some photos I took when I was parked next to another Trail Runner when I noticed that his trailer was sitting at least six inches higher than ours!

And in the shot taken across the highway from the dealer the day we bought the trailer, it is already sitting low on the tires, but I never really noticed it was that way . . .

Why should I have?

I thought I had just bought a brand new trailer that was built about four months before!

I now believe that we were sold our trailer with bad springs from the get-go as it has always dragged when going over speed bumps or pulling into parking lots.

All of this came to fruition three weeks ago on our trip to Arizona when our trailer started bottoming out on the tires, we lost an axle hub, which then blew out a wheel bearing and brake assembly, which required the front axle to be removed, cut in half, new spindle and brake assembly attached, then the axle welded back together and then reinstalled on the trailer . . . 1000 miles from home . . . at our expense, of course.

Oh . . . by the way . . . even though it is now two years and five months old, it had less than 5000 miles on it (including delivery from the Heartland factory) when the wheel bearing blew up!

I got nowhere by calling Heartland or Lippert about the wheel bearing issue . . . both basically told me that I am on my own . . . one year warranty . . . doesn't matter that the trailer has not been used much . . . you know the story.

I didn't know about the spring issue when I talked to them, so I'll be calling again about this!

I'll let you know.

Here is the shot of my trailer (one on left) next to the other one at Home Depot:

TrucksCampersHomeDepotBack-IMG_20140828_131933533.jpg

Also, now the tires are completely shot as the trailer axles are drastically out of alignment, plus got ripped up by the trailer bottoming out on them.

chief916

The same thing happened to my new unit. The rear axle spring center bolt sheared on one side and the axle slipped back by 2 inches. I was able to loosen it and push the axle to center and drove 1000 miles till I arrived at my destination. Called heartland and they send me 4 springs and larger plates and u-bolts. I ended up paying for the parts because I kept the old 3 months old springs for spares.
Any trailer parts store has center bolts. They are all the same size and the length do not mather as they can extend past the top plates on the spring pack.
All my u-bolts got loose because the springs are torqued at the factory with no load. Due to top of axle application the spring plies need to have a flat section at the plates. Once loaded I torqued them to 60 ftlb. Never had to retorque in 5 1/2 years and 50k miles.

Thank you...this is also news of importance....If you don't mind me asking...did you jack the frame and then use a come-a-long to pull the axle back into place or what? If push comes to shove and I keep getting jerked around I very well may attempt trying to fix it myself. Is it pretty obvious as to where the axle is supposed to sit on the spring or do I have to make measurements etc??

chief916

It seems that it is not uncommon to lose a suspension bolt.
I have had two of them break in the spring eye but was fortunate to catch then before they fell out.
My brother, not so lucky. He lost two tires as well when the rubbed together.
So check all of your suspension bolt regularly.

Peace
Dave

That you can believe I will do from here on out. I lost 2 tires on that side when it happened but I was going to replace them anyway...they were all blowmax. Once I get the axle fixed I've got 6 Sailun s637s waiting to go on. Thank you.

chief916

I have recently discovered the springs are shot on our 2013 Trail Runner, and last night after looking at a series of photos from five minutes after we pulled out of the dealers lot until just last week, and then comparing them to photos on Heartland's website and the brouchure we got from our dealer, plus some photos I took when I was parked next to another Trail Runner when I noticed that his trailer was sitting at least six inches higher than ours!

And in the shot taken across the highway from the dealer the day we bought the trailer, it is already sitting low on the tires, but I never really noticed it was that way . . .

Why should I have?

I thought I had just bought a brand new trailer that was built about four months before!

I now believe that we were sold our trailer with bad springs from the get-go as it has always dragged when going over speed bumps or pulling into parking lots.

All of this came to fruition three weeks ago on our trip to Arizona when our trailer started bottoming out on the tires, we lost an axle hub, which then blew out a wheel bearing and brake assembly, which required the front axle to be removed, cut in half, new spindle and brake assembly attached, then the axle welded back together and then reinstalled on the trailer . . . 1000 miles from home . . . at our expense, of course.

Oh . . . by the way . . . even though it is now two years and five months old, it had less than 5000 miles on it (including delivery from the Heartland factory) when the wheel bearing blew up!

I got nowhere by calling Heartland or Lippert about the wheel bearing issue . . . both basically told me that I am on my own . . . one year warranty . . . doesn't matter that the trailer has not been used much . . . you know the story.

I didn't know about the spring issue when I talked to them, so I'll be calling again about this!

I'll let you know.

Here is the shot of my trailer (one on left) next to the other one at Home Depot:

View attachment 34736

Also, now the tires are completely shot as the trailer axles are drastically out of alignment, plus got ripped up by the trailer bottoming out on them.

John...please keep us all posted on what you find out about the springs. I'm calling Lippert in the morning to talk to them as well. Thank you for sharing your experience.

scottyb

I think your axles and spring assemblies came from Dexter. I know they were on my 2013 4100. When you call them, if you give them your VIN, they can send you an build sheet that shows all the part numbers of the springs, axles, brakes, and bearings.

danemayer

Thank you...this is also news of importance....If you don't mind me asking...did you jack the frame and then use a come-a-long to pull the axle back into place or what? If push comes to shove and I keep getting jerked around I very well may attempt trying to fix it myself. Is it pretty obvious as to where the axle is supposed to sit on the spring or do I have to make measurements etc??
It's a lot easier to get the axle back into position if both sides are off the ground.

For safety, you need to have the trailer hitched to the tow vehicle and the tow vehicle chocked. Also need to support the frame in the rear with good solid, strong supports.