Oakmont questions for the factory

rbev2308

Hello,
In serious negotiations on the Oakmont product line leaning towards the 345RS. Have several questions hoping anyone can answer

1) Why is that this is the only full profile Heartland product that has R14 in floor and roof vice R38 and will Oakmont address that in future 5ers
2) There is chatter about additional floor plans coming in the spring. Do we know if Oakmont will get either rear kitchen or front living floor plan on the horizon
3) On the models with 8 CF fridge, can the 16 CF fridge with inverter be simply swapped out by selling dealer or is this to difficult given the gas lines already in place and need for enhanced electrical

Really love all Heartland product lines but may divert to Gateway just because of some of my concerns. However, if I knew things were changing, may be suited to wait additional 60-90 days

Ross

danemayer

Hi rbev2308,

I'll hazard a few guesses for you.

1. As you go up the product line to higher price points, you'll find higher insulation values. It looks like the R values are shared with Elkridge, another full profile design.

2. There's always chatter about upcoming models and floorplans, but predicting delivery dates is always problematic. And who knows if you'd even like the next one that comes out - whenever it does. There's always something else on the way.

3. There's probably a significant size difference between an 8 cu ft. and 16 cu ft. refrigerator. I don't know about the Oakmont, but on other models, like the Bighorn, the cabinetry is different to accommodate the differing sizes. Also, the dealer would have to install the entire electrical system including 2nd battery, fuse, cutoff, inverter, transfer switch, wiring from the circuit breakers to the transfer switch and from transfer switch to back of the refrigerator. I doubt Heartland offers a kit to do something like this at the dealer, so the dealer would have to find all the required components and do all the work. And of course, there's going to be much more labor as a retrofit, than for a factory install, so cost might be prohibitive.

You might want to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for Kary Katzenberger, the Bighorn/Oakmont General Manager. He or someone on his staff can answer your questions more specifically.

rbev2308

Hi rbev2308,

I'll hazard a few guesses for you.

1. As you go up the product line to higher price points, you'll find higher insulation values. It looks like the R values are shared with Elkridge, another full profile design.

2. There's always chatter about upcoming models and floorplans, but predicting delivery dates is always problematic. And who knows if you'd even like the next one that comes out - whenever it does. There's always something else on the way.

3. There's probably a significant size difference between an 8 cu ft. and 16 cu ft. refrigerator. I don't know about the Oakmont, but on other models, like the Bighorn, the cabinetry is different to accommodate the differing sizes. Also, the dealer would have to install the entire electrical system including 2nd battery, fuse, cutoff, inverter, transfer switch, wiring from the circuit breakers to the transfer switch and from transfer switch to back of the refrigerator. I doubt Heartland offers a kit to do something like this at the dealer, so the dealer would have to find all the required components and do all the work. And of course, there's going to be much more labor as a retrofit, than for a factory install, so cost might be prohibitive.

You might want to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for Kary Katzenberger, the Bighorn/Oakmont General Manager. He or someone on his staff can answer your questions more specifically.

Thanks Dan....I am with you on nearly all of these points...My concern on the insulation was comparison to the Gateway as it has R-factors equivalent to the luxury line. I kind of figured the fridge option would be complicated but I did not think of all the things you mentioned with respect to the electrical...My challenge is I desired a Bighorn/Landmark all along. However, I recently purchased 12 acres of land for my retirement home I will start on in 3 yrs so the RV has to be scaled back. Do I go with 2-4 year old luxury model or a new full profile since you are at the same price point...I want the newer one with all the amenities of the luxury. The Oakmont covers that bill but my concern is the R14 floor and roof values. If I scale down to the Gateway's, it is hard to find ones with the larger fridge. I try and convince myself that the Oakmont insulation will be no big deal as I am not going to full time in it. At most down the road is winter trips down into Florida and I do not think this will be that big of a factor..It's not like I am in Montana or Colorado spending the night in!!! Just always leary about a new model....Yes it replaced the Silverado and probably some of the same people and same things in it but MFR's like to use this opportunity to try things they may put on other units down the road. Some work, some do not!!! Appreciate the feedback!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have an ElkRidge, and as Dan mentioned the r-values are similar.

We are using our ER as temporary housing, and I can tell you it is adequate and comfortable for us, but not ideal.

One of the reasons the r-value is less is the construction. The frame of the Oakmont is probably not as tall, and not the z style drop frame of the higher lines, so there is less between your feet inside and the ground outside. In my case, there is a metallic bubble-wrap style layer of insulation in the underbelly, but no additional insulation batting. Our floor is not the laminated wood/foam/wood style of the high end models, either. These all would account for the lower R-values.

If you want something built for full-time living, buy a used unit that is warranted by the manufacturer for that (BigHorn, Big Country, Landmark). If the new Gateway is warranted for that, I would go that route. You will spend less money heating and cooling, spend less time dumping tanks, and the interior features and fabrics will probably be much more durable for long term use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbev2308

I tried calling the number provided for Kary Katzenberger and got a customer service rep. I was told we do not forward calls to managers that the best way is to send an email via the contact link and we will forward to the appropriate department. Does this sound normal? When I contacted Jayco and Keystone I did not get this... I really want to give these Oakmont's a fair shake since I am leaning towards the Gateway and they had several press releases stating 7 new floor plans would be avail this spring and curious as to those plans and specs as well as if they address the insulation issue to upgrade it or will it be left at the current ratings.

danemayer

I tried calling the number provided for Kary Katzenberger and got a customer service rep. I was told we do not forward calls to managers that the best way is to send an email via the contact link and we will forward to the appropriate department. Does this sound normal? When I contacted Jayco and Keystone I did not get this... I really want to give these Oakmont's a fair shake since I am leaning towards the Gateway and they had several press releases stating 7 new floor plans would be avail this spring and curious as to those plans and specs as well as if they address the insulation issue to upgrade it or will it be left at the current ratings.
I'm surprised they didn't put you through to Kary or someone on his team. You might have gotten a newly hired customer service rep who was confused. I'd try again. I think the new phone system prompts you for sales or customer service, so you might try the sales option.

crussian

Hello Heartland Factory - question. Why was the refrigerator in My Oakmont 345RS not secured to the floor on which it sits? Recently went to a music festival in Florence, AZ., there were a couple of rough rows of plowed up dirt (6 inch mounds) that were unexpectedly rougher than they looked. I did not traverse them at a great speed (< 5 miles an hour) but nonetheless, when crossing over, the rig moved side to side as I didn't cross them head on. Again, not a particularly rough navigation. Once parked I readied the rig. My wife unlocked and open the door and screamed. I went to see what the matter was and our refrigerator had toppled over and was stopped by the slideout that was retracted. I slowed pushed the refrigerator back in the upright position and maneuvered it back to its' original position. Once we picked up all the food (both doors had opened) we began to question the implications of further adventures in out of the way locations. Needless to say, we were very disheartened. I opened the fridge once more and noticed no lights. I scratched my head and pulled the refrigerator back out and noticed it had become unplugged. I had to pull it out far enough in order to bend down and reach to plug it back in. Once that was done, lights were on.

My mind started fabricating a solution so that would not happen again. Everything from a simple blocking solution (to keep the doors closed when traveling) to more complex retaining mechanisms to keep the whole refrigerator from moving. I haven't come up with a final solution at this time. Perhaps Heartland will find one for me. My tech representative at the dealer scratched his head as well and told me he has never seen an incident like that. I failed to take a picture when it happened due to the panic at the moment. If, by design, the refrigerator is free standing, what does one expect to happen when a bit of a rough road is encountered? If there is no permanent solution provided by the dealer (who said he would call Heartland to see if there is a bulletin), I will have to come up with a solution by myself. My parting thoughts are, "Why should I come up with a solution?" Did they never expect a 5th wheel to encounter railroad tracks or terrain that is uneven? I know that the unit is considered residential because of the refrigerator and fresh water capacities, etc., however, free standing refrigerator? Nothing holding it down or a mechanism to secure while transporting? I don't expect a solution on this forum, however, I do expect "something" from my dealer / Heartland partnership.

danemayer

Hi crussian,

Sounds like the factory left something off. I've seen some of the residential refrigerators secured by blocking at the top.

If you want to discuss fixes with Heartland, let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

crussian

Hi crussian,

Sounds like the factory left something off. I've seen some of the residential refrigerators secured by blocking at the top.

If you want to discuss fixes with Heartland, let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

You were right danemayer - there was no block. well, there was one but it was installed less a couple of wood screws and it allowed the block to swivel back and forth. The fix was a new piece of wood with two wood screws at both ends. Problem solved. Well, almost. The plastic sticky rings that are meant to hold the door closed doesn't stick very well. The refer door opened and "some food items were on the floor once we got to our destination. They just don't hold, especially when the door of the fridge is loaded with items. There has got to be a better way.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.