2014 North Trail 32BUDS - Electric Awning that didn't come with LED lights (factory LED light kit available?)

Ranchdip

I recently purchased a used 2014 North Trail Caliber Eddition 32BUDS that didn't come with LED lights. Is there a factory LED light kit available for my electric awning? I want it to work like it was factory installed in the roller itself. Is this possible without having external wiring exposed and having to modify or splice off an existing circuit in my porch light, etc?

Thanks!

danemayer

Hi Ranchdip,

As far as I know, Heartland doesn't offer any retrofit kits of any kind for aftermarket install, so I'd assume you're on your own to find and install an exterior LED strip. A lot of people have done their own, running power in various ways. One approach is to run the power wires along the awning arm and through the side wall.

Perhaps other owners can provide some guidance on how they did theirs.

One thing to consider, if you install the LED strip in the roller, so it's inside when rolled up, you could damage the awning material and lights if the light is inadvertently turned ON and left ON.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if they still install on the roller or not.
I've heard of people that have turned the lights on when the awning was rolled up and burned holes in the material.

Peace
Dave

Ranchdip

Wow, didn't think about that. I wouldn't think LED's would get that hot. It seems like they would have put a limit switch on the awning to keep that from happening on the newer units. Makes sense though. Thanks for the heads up.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The down side to that is you can never use the LED lights unless the awning is fully deployed.
If the LED strip is mounted on the outside wall it can be used as a nightlight at any time. Wind or rain.

Peace
Dave

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

'Lil Guy'

On our NT, I bought the cheap LEDs on EBay with power cord and remote. I used 3m double sided tape to install them on my roller tube when extended. Just cut them to length. Nice effect out there shining back and down a the TT. Only draw back is you have to reach up and plug the connector in and route the wire along the extender and plug into the outside wall plug. Small price to pay for the effect.

Ranchdip

Thanks....Yeah I was thinking the roller lights would present a cooler effect and provide a factory/finished look. However, there would be downsides too as brought up here. I wish there was a way I could install the roller lights permanent without any outside connections. Maybe I could install the controller box insode the camper etc. I'll have to look into it. I'm surprised these new rollers aren't set up for LED installs pre-wired etc.

Thanks for the links as well on the Carefree products.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
LED light strips are cheap enough now that you could place them in multiple locations and use them as situations and moods change.

Ranchdip

Does this look reasonable or seriously flawed? LOL You will need to keep clicking on the pic until you can use cntrl/zoom to see the text descriptions in the photo. I would add a small plastic junction box to house the LED controller, etc.
IMG_7537.jpg

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Here is a great thread on the subject I found.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=60754.0

I also talked to an awning manufacturer that makes them with LED's installed at the factory. They said the power wiring is sewn into the fabric material.

As far as being sewn into the fabric, The wiring could possibly be slipped into the hem of the awning just like where the wiring is "sewn in". Just be careful with how the wiring wraps up with the awning roller and fabric.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I would consider following the path of the existing awning wiring as it would be channeled into the RV at some point and may be accessible from the inside. Your wiring and Junction box could then be mounted in a more hidden location.

Also consider running wire back to your circuit breaker panel and then you could expand your LED lighting system if you desired.

Ranchdip

I would consider following the path of the existing awning wiring as it would be channeled into the RV at some point and may be accessible from the inside. Your wiring and Junction box could then be mounted in a more hidden location.

Also consider running wire back to your circuit breaker panel and then you could expand your LED lighting system if you desired.

Good idea! I'll look at it this evening.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You might find the wiring goes through the wall and may be hidden by wiremold cover then drops down below the floor. This location under the coach could be a good location for your junction box. You could then run your wire back over to your circuit breaker box.

On Mine, The wiring happens to be behind the front mounting bracket for the awning. It goes from the top of the awning down behind the bracket and then to near the bottom of the bracket Through a hole hidden by the bracket and into the wiremold located in the front bedroom.

I am in the process of doing this. I have the LED RGB rolls from ebay. I hooked them up to a 12v small battery from autozone. Going to roll them onto a pvc pipe and hang it on the top of the slide out. I will post pics when I am done.