Hitches are Heavy - How to Routinely Install/Remove????

Bohemian

What have people done to routinely install/remove their hitches so that we can have a clean bed?

That much weight is too much for me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Depends on which hitch you have. My Reese 16K can be broken down into two parts and removed.

FiremanBill

My son and I can lift my B&W Companion out pretty easily. But I have to make sure he is available to put it back in. No way can my wife lift it.

I saw somewhere a while back a guy had a winch mounted to the rafters in his garage, would us it to lift it out of the truck then pull the truck out and lower the hitch onto a dolly for storage. Seemed like a pretty cool idea.

dbbls59

I have fence stretcher that I hang from the garage ceiling and lift mine out. I then set it on the floor and slide it around.

HornedToad

The guy that bought my Torque TH had a Dodge with the puck system. I included my old B&W Patriot in the sale because I upgraded to a B&W OEM Companion for my Ford. He bought a "picture frame" adapter that fit the Dodge pucks and had slots that the Patriot and I believe other rail style hitches fit. This adapter may give you some more choices for a lighter hitch?

The Ford B&W OEM is 75 lbs on top & 75 lbs on the bottom, it seems the Dodge pucks are spread out further so the base weighs more??? When I pull my hitch I back the truck down on the TH garage door which is at the same height, so I can step the hitch into the TH garage. I set it on a wood pallet so the pucks don't mar the floor.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
i see a number of people in RV Parks who leave their hitch attached to their RV when they unhitch. All it takes is to pull the 4 pins on the rails that are on the floor of the truck bed and then lift the front of the rv up and voila it is disconnected. BTW we have the TS3 Hensley Trailer Saver hitch. Weighs right at 300 lbs. Cannot pick that one up by myself. :)

whp4262

I use my forklift, works good and it would probably fit in the back of the toy hauler too. Might exceed the 2500 lbs limit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miltp920

I like the electric winch idea. They are opening a harbor freight near me soon. Now I have a reason to go there. The guy I bought mine from had the electric winch. It was slick.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the Curt puck base is heavy at 94 pounds, but the hitch can be divided in two to make it manageable.

Peace
Dave