Norcold Fridge

tgbell

Can anyone tell me why items in the main compartment of the fridge partially freeze? It seems worse with less items in it. It happens on either gas or electric. The manual says it's automatic. Cannot find any type of control in the unit. Help????????

Jim.Allison

http://www.fmca.com/polks-top-7/263...imizing-your-rv-refrigerators-efficiency.html

You should have a button on the outside of the unit that allows you to select AC/LP/Auto. The auto position only means that the it will select AC when it is available and LP when AC is not available. You should have another button with a 1-9 setting. 1 being less cool and 9 being more cool. The LP/AC units are not very efficient to begin with but their efficiency rises exponentially when the temperature is cooler outside the unit.

If you decrease the temp in the fridge the freezer will get colder also. likewise if you decrease the temp in the freezer the fridge will get warmer, its a balance between the 2 boxes.

The unit works on the principle that cold is the absence of heat, what the unit is doing is starting a chemical reaction with the ammonia coolant which absorbs the heat inside the unit and places it outside the unit.

The nature of the system allows it to only cool to X number of degrees below the ambient. What you are experiencing is probably efficient operation due to the cool ambient temps.

Look for the temperature button on the outside of the unit and adjust it there, should be on the door. If you don't see it post the model number here and someone, I'm sure will give you specifics on that unit.

Can anyone tell me why items in the main compartment of the fridge partially freeze? It seems worse with less items in it. It happens on either gas or electric. The manual says it's automatic. Cannot find any type of control in the unit. Help????????

Bohemian

http://www.fmca.com/polks-top-7/263...imizing-your-rv-refrigerators-efficiency.html

You should have a button on the outside of the unit that allows you to select AC/LP/Auto. The auto position only means that the it will select AC when it is available and LP when AC is not available. You should have another button with a 1-9 setting. 1 being less cool and 9 being more cool. The LP/AC units are not very efficient to begin with but their efficiency rises exponentially when the temperature is cooler outside the unit.

If you decrease the temp in the fridge the freezer will get colder also. likewise if you decrease the temp in the freezer the fridge will get warmer, its a balance between the 2 boxes.

The unit works on the principle that cold is the absence of heat, what the unit is doing is starting a chemical reaction with the ammonia coolant which absorbs the heat inside the unit and places it outside the unit.

The nature of the system allows it to only cool to X number of degrees below the ambient. What you are experiencing is probably efficient operation due to the cool ambient temps.

Look for the temperature button on the outside of the unit and adjust it there, should be on the door. If you don't see it post the model number here and someone, I'm sure will give you specifics on that unit.

Sorry, no chemical reaction. The ammonia refrigerator works just like the "Freon" refrigerator. Expansion of a gas through an narrow constriction makes the gas cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule–Thomson_effect

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
According to the Norcold website your reefer should have a control panel between the freezer and refrigerator compartments. If you still can't find it call Thetford (the manufacturer) at this number: Customer Service Department
1-800-543-1219

whp4262

If it's a Norcold and not a Dometic there should be a control panel either above or between the doors. The Norcold should also have a fail safe mode that will put the unit in high cool if something is wrong allowing you time to get it serviced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgbell

It does have a space between the fridge and freezer with a blank plastic panel cover. I removed the screw that holds it in place and the space behind it is totally empty, no wires, no anything. This is the space where the controls would normally be located. Is it possible that the unit is totally automatic with settings established at the factory?

danemayer

If it were flashing, that would be one indicator of a failed thermistor and cooling being under control of a Backup Operating System that operates the cooling unit on a timed basis.

My guess is that your thermistor is either out of place (maybe bumped when cleaning, or when putting something into the frig), or perhaps it's defective.

danemayer

It does have a space between the fridge and freezer with a blank plastic panel cover. I removed the screw that holds it in place and the space behind it is totally empty, no wires, no anything. This is the space where the controls would normally be located. Is it possible that the unit is totally automatic with settings established at the factory?

It is automatic. the thermistor electrical resistance varies according to different temps inside the frig. The control board reads the resistance and is programmed to turn the cooling unit on and off as needed to maintain a preset resistance reading, which in turn should be a specific temperature. If the resistance reading from the thermistor isn't according to spec, the cooling unit can operate too frequently, or not frequently enough (depending on whether resistance is higher or lower than spec).

The temperature that drives the thermistor resistance is usually derived by placing it close to the cooling fins. If it's not in place, it will read a higher temp and run the cooling unit longer.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There might be a simple answer to your freezing problem.
These refrigerators do not operate like the ones we have in our house.
When the refrigerator box is cooling all of the cold air pretty much stays in one area unless there is some air movement.
So unlike our boxes at home that have fans these do not have anything to move the air.
You might want to try a small 12 volt fan inside to keep the air moving.

Peace
Dave

Jim.Allison

The fridge is in a 2014 Prowler 5th Wheel. The model number is N611VT. It does not have any buttons or switches on the door, inside or out. It does change from AC to LP automatically. Does that help?

You don't need anymore info from me, lol, the pros have arrived on the scene and you are in good hands. I have a good cup of coffee and I'm enjoying reading all about LP/AC refers. Quite frankly, you can never know enough about these units. Your ice cream will either freeze solid or melt for no apparent reason. I know the ones that work work well.

So I'm lurking and learning...... But I might have a couple of youtube videos that might support the comments of the others.

tgbell

I think you are on the right track. This is a new unit and we are learning there are spots in the fridge that are colder than other spots. Also, it depends on how full we keep it. I think we will monitor it over the next couple of weeks until we have to head back north. We'll have a better idea of how it operates.

Thanks to everyone for the information