Turf-type Patio Rug vs Traditional Patio Rug

Hello Ladies! I am looking for some guidance and feedback. We camp ALOT with our 9 and 13 yo and always have at least one friend in tow. We have always used the traditional polypropylene woven rugs along with step covers. I am leaning towards the larger 8' x 20' Prest-O-Fit patio rug in Stone Gray that is made from outdoor turf. There tends to be alot of positive comments about these rugs but the only negative is that they are hard to sweep, but that is the downfall to what I am looking for, I guess. I am wanting something that will 'trap' more of the dirt, debris and gravel from the campsites so it doesn't get tracked in the rig. Even if the kids remove their shoes at the steps, it gets on their socks and ultimately tracked inside. Any feedback on how well these turf rugs work, hold up et. would be greatly appreciated!

Open to suggestions, ladies!

Last edited:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Do you have an area rug or carpet inside the door also?

We use all three. It won't eliminate 100% of the debris, It usually does reduce it drastically.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We went down to our local Home Depot and bought outdoor carpet which ended up being cheaper than something you get from Camping World and we could have it cut to the size we wanted. Down fall is that it didn't have ringlet to put tie down nails thru. We used this outdoor carpet for about 5 years before it started to wear-out. At the beach we use the Aeroweave breathable mat that would let the sand fall thru the threads. Also second on step rugs.

olcoon

Nabo,
Walmart sells grommet kits, (I think they are in the camping dept) so you can instal your own "ringlets". I've done it on a smaller rug we have at the bottom of the steps. The kit comes with everything you'll need & is an easy job taking only a few minutes. If you want those corners stronger, you can double them, or get some type of plastic & put on the bottom side before installing the grommets.

MTPockets

It seems the breatheable mats let dirt, sand fall thru and easier to hose off as well. Also, if it's placed on grass, they don't kill the grass underneath. At least not for a few week stay.

donr827

It seems the breatheable mats let dirt, sand fall thru and easier to hose off as well. Also, if it's placed on grass, they don't kill the grass underneath. At least not for a few week stay.

this is what we use. I like the idea of letting the sand fall through.
Don

Wharton

We are looking for something for Phoenix when we stay there. The problem seems to be small rocks vs. sand. Sand may be a problem but the rocks aggravate us more. WE are thinking the grass stuff from Home Depot. Any comments?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have a patio rug that we bought at a furniture store . . .

It is a nice rug, but I don't really like it as it doesn't allow sand or stones to pass through it . . . it holds moisture . . . and has no grommets to keep it down and just barely fits in the cubby hole of our trailer!

Not too mention that it won't fit in the back of our truck!

However, it is the rug that my better half likes, so I'll live with it until we find a better one!

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are looking for something for Phoenix when we stay there. The problem seems to be small rocks vs. sand. Sand may be a problem but the rocks aggravate us more. WE are thinking the grass stuff from Home Depot. Any comments?

That artificial turf stuff holds moisture really bad, so I don't think it would be a good choice.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our outdoor carpet that we bought from Home Depot didn't hold that much moisture but we move it around frequently to help keeping it from killing the grass.