Water Filtration System

EPaulikonis

Several months ago the forum participants poured in responses to a question I'd posted on Whole Coach Water Filtration...thank you again for all the ideas. Well, I finally got around to working the modification in our 2015 Savannah and I used the approach recommended by recumbent615 when adding our system.

I chose to use the Hydropure Technologies Metal Trap Ultra Dual System because I wanted a filter that would handle the particulates, odors, and most importantly, the heavy metals, that this system removes. Didn't realize how large the size 22 canisters are on the system, but the Landmark has more than enough space to accommodate the system.

I started by adding some 2 X 4 framing to support the hinges and added weight. I then cut the pre-existing panel down to fit the exact opening so it would contact the framing I'd installed.

Frame for water 2.jpg

I then added all the PEX and other hardware onto the door while it was outside of the coach. I then added heavy duty gate hinges onto the system and adjusted the door to the ceiling in the basement. The inlet line is attached at the same location as the old inlet and I removed the small jumper line so the filter outlet now goes directly into the inlet of the Anderson Valve. I put a camera set to record video inside the compartment and closed and opened the door several times to check for binding of the piping. Ended up adding two sections of 1/2" X 30" flexible lines to make the connections without adding stress on either side of the flex hoses.

Final filter 2.jpg

Finished it off by adding some secure locks on the now pivoting door, but I have a feeling I may need to add something different. Not too sure the HW I added will stay closed during travel. Fingers crossed on the first trip out in two weeks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Nice job.
I like the idea of adding it to the back of the wall using hinges for access.

Peace
Dave

EPaulikonis

I had considered using a barrel hasp, but the door isn't flush mounted where it needs to be secured. The angle is something around 120 degrees where the opening meets up with the stationary wall. I used a sliding door latch on the top and bottom for now. I may take a closer look to see if I can modify a safety hasp to match the angle, or I may just add in two magnetic cabinet catches to help keep the door from bouncing too wildly. We'll see...it's a work in progress.

sliding door latch.jpg
You might consider using barrel hasps to secure the door.

EPaulikonis

Thanks. Hope you enjoy the LM 365. May have to take deeper consideration to upgrade. Lots of new refinements compared to my 15 Savannah. I bought on the last production run before the model changed. If only I'd have known I would have held off another few weeks. So goes the RV life! Happy Camping.

Just came a crossed this old post. Very nice clean job.

Dfultz

We are considering this filter system but can't find many reviews on it. How happy are you with the system? How often do you change the filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

We are considering this filter system but can't find many reviews on it. How happy are you with the system? How often do you change the filters?

Call RV Water Filter Store and speak with Dave. He can help guide you to a solution that works for you. www.rvwaterfilterstore.com - (602) 625-1875

Last edited by a moderator:

ksucats

Jim - the link doesn't work. I believe you missed the letter 'T" for store.

Yep - just tried it with the t, works.

EPaulikonis

We really like the quality of the filter. I installed the larger home version, so it's good for 10K gallons of water. I replace filters annually to insure quality. No noticible drop in water pressure caused by the system that I've experienced. Drinking water gets filtered by installed system and filter in the refrigerator's system, so water tastes great. Be sure to add a dump valve capability on the outlet side of filters so you can flush the system when installing new filter cartridges. This allows you to flush to keep loose charcoal on a new filter as the manufacturer recommends.

One thing I didn't like is the plastic valve and joiner provided with the system. Strongly recommend using stout brass fittings and valves. I beefed up hardware since it is larger, and much heavier with water weight, than smaller cartridges. I also added some high density foam between the access door the filters are mounted on and the blue filter housing. This helps dampen any lateral shake and has kept leaks at bay so far (about 5,000 miles so far).