Lost keys __ Found The Keys...

danemayer

Re: Lost keys

Hi Jello47,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. I doubt they'll have keys, but may be able to give you the information necessary to order replacements from the lock supplier.

olcoon

A good locksmith should be able to make some for you. I've seen one make a key from the door lock. Sometimes it may take a little time, but he can get it done if he knows what he's doing.

Bohemian

It will end up woth eother a ;long wait for shipment from Heartland or a short wait for a locksmith to make keys. Just find a locksmith who will give you a good price before coming out.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I've tried to get extra keys made from not only my dealer, but many others in the area with no luck.

Even Camping World doesn't make keys . . . imagine how much money they are turning away each week?

I'm sure that I am not the only one who has ever tried to get copies made . . .

The RV shop we had our trailer fixed at in Phoenix back in January said that they could order the blank key slugs, then we could take them somewhere to be ground . . . but didn't stock the key slugs.

I'd hate to think what it would be like trying to get lost keys replaced . . . especially if on the road!

Your best bet would be to call a locksmith.

danemayer

Most entry door locks are from Fastec. If you know the number, you can order extra keys online. Here's one source. Numbers are usually stamped on the keys. They're also on the locks, but I think you have to take the lock apart to get to it.

JohnD

I wish that both of our entry doors used the same key . . .

We have three keys to our trailer that all look exactly the same (two doors and cable locks on our propane tanks and trailer batteries), but each key is different.

So no matter how you try to arrange them on a key ring (even tried the color-coded carabeener thing) . . . it is a nightmare trying to figure out which key is which.

I'm sure I could probably buy new door knobs that use the same keys . . . perhaps that is the answer.

CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg NewTruckHitchInAZ.jpg

pegmikef

I have never had trouble getting spare keys made for all the rigs I have owned. I just go to a local key shop here in San Angelo. Usually the add on key kiosks at hardware and department stores don't carry the blanks, but good key shops do.

ICamel

Or just order and install a new door lock mechanism. It comes with two keys. Probably cheaper than a locksmith call. If the OP is locked out the the RV..............never mind!

Jello47

To all those nice campers that came to my aide regarding the lost keys, well, I found them. I appreciate all the helpful advice I received. I think I am going to remain a part of this friendly forum.

JohnD

To all those nice campers that came to my aide regarding the lost keys, well, I found them. I appreciate all the helpful advice I received. I think I am going to remain a part of this friendly forum.

Oh yeah!

You want to keep coming here as you'll find this a fun place to hang out, not too mention all of the help you can get for anything that may come up with your Heartland travel trailer!

Now, you'll want to join the Heartland Owners Club (free for the first year) and attend a rally or three!

They are a blast!

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

Just to state the obvious.......GET COPIES MADE... PUT THEM IN A MAGNETIC BOX...FIND A PLACE ON THE FRAME TO STASH THEM. For me, it's been good insurance against ever losing them again

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Glad you found the keys.

JohnD, I don't know about Colorado, but here in Ca. you can't just walk into a car dealer and get keys made. Won't happen !! You have to have your registration, driver license, 1st born and do a dance before they will make you one. They are trying to slow down car thefts. BTW, don't go the a junk yard, buy an upgraded radio and try to get installed in a vehicle....it WONT HAPPEN at all. All radios have been prorammed to the VIN# of the vehicle for years and most radios will not program to another vehicle. Stops radio thefts.

JohnD

Glad you found the keys.

JohnD, I don't know about Colorado, but here in Ca. you can't just walk into a car dealer and get keys made. Won't happen !! You have to have your registration, driver license, 1st born and do a dance before they will make you one. They are trying to slow down car thefts. BTW, don't go the a junk yard, buy an upgraded radio and try to get installed in a vehicle....it WONT HAPPEN at all. All radios have been prorammed to the VIN# of the vehicle for years and most radios will not program to another vehicle. Stops radio thefts.

Yes . . . I inquired at my dealership about getting another key made for my truck.

They said they needed the vin # and proof that I owned my vehicle (which I said "Go look at it . . . it is in your service department right now!") . . . and they would order the key from GM and would take about a week to arrive.

Cost: $95.00

danemayer

I haven't tried it, but the local hardware store in Breckenridge, CO duplicates smart keys for around $35. I think they do it on the spot.

Bob&Patty

Dan, and they don't require any kind of proof that you own the vehicle in question?? BTW, $35 is cheap for key these days.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dan, and they don't require any kind of proof that you own the vehicle in question?? BTW, $35 is cheap for key these days.

If you have the key in hand what more proof do you need? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

They could have stolen the keys from a valet parking. Would you want anybody just walk in get a key made and drive away with your vehicle or rob your home??