Undercarriage full of sewer

rexnar

Ok guys we have had our 2015 4100 cyclone king for 24 day. 2 days ago a different smell came about and yesterday wasn't bad but today the camper smelled like the the pooh tank. We have drained it 4 times now and I checked for sewer leaks etc and haven't found anything the smell isn't in the bathroom. But we can smell it around the fire place and that General are. I dumped the tank and I hooked up the tank washer als. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciatted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexnar

Re: LG French door refrigerator

Do you know why or what could be causing the sewer smell in the living room?

danemayer

Don't overlook the gray tank as a possible source; especially the kitchen.

Also, if you have the gray valves open, sewer gas can come back up into the coach.

Normally the water in the trap under the sink would prevent gas from coming back from the sewer or tank. But there may be an air-admittance valve (Studor Valve) under the sink. If the one-way function is compromised, gas from the tank or sewer can enter the living area. Try putting a plastic bag over that valve assembly and seal it with a rubber band. Also, if the valve is not admitting air to facilitate draining the sink, suction could be pulling water out of the trap.

Try adding a little water to the sink drain to see if the smell is reduced.

rexnar

The smell is coming from under the tv/fireplace are which is where the leavers to drain tank is directly under outside. The smell isn't in the under carriage either. When you set on the couch the end closest to the tv area and when you walk in front door the smell is almost breathtaking(in a bad way). Doesn't smell anywhere else but there. I have spoken with some co-workers who also have campers they suggest either we have a leak on top of tank or the vent pipe is either clogged or come loose. We washed and drained the black tank 3 times in last few days. We've only had this brand new camper for 25 days today. We have been dumping every Sunday. And the last 2 days the panel says its 2/3 full

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Several questions: Has it been windy? Are you running the Fantastic ceiling fans? Where are the tank vent pipes on the in relationship the living room?

rexnar

I climbed on top of camper the vents aren't plugged. I assume that the vent runs down by where the couch is

rexnar

Ok..... Found the source of our NEW 2015 cyclone 4100's bad odor........ The undercarriage is sagging and FULL OF SEWER. Today is our 27th day to have it signed papers on the 28th day of February. WE ARE NOT HAPPY CAMPERS

rexnar

We have had our Cyclone 4100 King for 28 days today. Over a week ago we noticed a smell that was becoming unpleasant. The smell wasn't coming form the bathroom/sinks area. When we sat on the couch or entered the front door it would almost be unbearable. This past week it has become stronger and stronger. I have climbed and sniffed every crevice of this camper. The smell as mostly around the couch and around the fire place. When we came home yesterday we noticed that the undercarriage was sagging. Upon further inspection we found out that it was sewer in the undercarriage. Today we made contact with our dealer and they told us to get someone top come look at it. The undercarriage was cut to let the water come out. and then we had to cut the undercarriage out to find the problem. The serviceman found what we believe to be the issue. Possibly a faulty valve, unsure. We are distraught.No matter what is done we will always have a horrible smell and possibility of mold growth. Nearly every screw we took out broke. Any suggestions? Also when taking care of al this we noticed that a brass gas fitting is cracked with silicone on it like they tied to cover it up.NOT HAPPY CAMPERS!!!

danemayer

No matter what is done we will always have a horrible smell and possibility of mold growth. Nearly every screw we took out broke. Any suggestions?
Hi rexnar,

Lots of people have had similar flooding of the underbelly from the black tank. It's easy to do if you run the black tank flush with the outlet closed and then get distracted. While that's not the cause of your problem, the results are the same. The dealer will have to remove and replace any fiberglas insulation and rinse the underbelly and coroplast. The smell will quickly dissipate once it's cleaned up and if allowed to dry, you shouldn't have any mold problems.

The mounting screws for the coroplast are best removed and reinstalled using an impact wrench. If a socket and ratchet are used, it's easy to wrench the heads off the screws. The dealer will either have to remove the broken screws or put in new ones alongside the broken ones.

It does sound like they may have to look a little further to find the source of the problem, but they should be able to quickly get it all back together and get you back on the road.

rexnar

I truly hope this is the last issue. It's heartbreaking because I LOVE OUR CAMPER. I know things happen but when you purchase things that you think are of a higher quality you shouldn't have these issues and if you do the dealer/ manufacturer should attempt to make the imposition as easy as possible. A traveling serviceman would be of great benefit to the companies. I'm sure most owners like us would be willing to put out that extra money to have them come to us rather than having to take a few days off to bring the unit in. If you sell/ manufacture the product then stand behind your product. That is a sure way to have return customers. Again I LOVE OUR CAMPER! I'm not bashing just making a suggestion. I'm not perfect by no means but I am heartbroken.

Jim.Allison

Are you sure that your insurance company won't cover this under water damage. A clean up and repair should be done. If heartland is not doing it then they must think it is your fault. If it is your fault then your insurance should take part in mitigating the damages.

I truly hope this is the last issue. It's heartbreaking because I LOVE OUR CAMPER. I know things happen but when you purchase things that you think are of a higher quality you shouldn't have these issues and if you do the dealer/ manufacturer should attempt to make the imposition as easy as possible. A traveling serviceman would be of great benefit to the companies. I'm sure most owners like us would be willing to put out that extra money to have them come to us rather than having to take a few days off to bring the unit in. If you sell/ manufacture the product then stand behind your product. That is a sure way to have return customers. Again I LOVE OUR CAMPER! I'm not bashing just making a suggestion. I'm not perfect by no means but I am heartbroken.

rexnar

Spoke with insurance company today also. It should be under warranty. It's very obvious that it's a manufacturer issue.. Upon inspection we found that a leak is occurring around a valve at the black water tank. It's still a constant drip. Parts aren't readily available on a Saturday

Jim.Allison

Dang you would be well within your rights to gripe and moan until it was new again, no smell and no damage to be smelled or seen. They should go under there and strip all the insulation and covers off and scrub it clean and then replace all of it. There is no reason that they can't put it back to new again.

Spoke with insurance company today also. It should be under warranty. It's very obvious that it's a manufacturer issue.. Upon inspection we found that a leak is occurring around a valve at the black water tank. It's still a constant drip. Parts aren't readily available on a Saturday

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Were you told it was not a warranty issue? Its not always pleasant...but anything you buy and fails will have to go back to a dealer for warranty repairs. You can't buy a new vehicle...have something go wrong...take it to non dealer/repair shop and expect it be repaired under warranty. BTW, if you call HL ahead of time, you can use a non-Heartland dealer or indepentant repair shop to do a repair with HL approval. If your dealer is any good, they should do the repair and clean up the mess and have you back on the road soon.

Thanks for your service to your country and us.

Westwind

The unfortunate reality of owning a RV. I understand your disappointment with having something as unpleasant as you have had with your new fifth wheel but as soon as you get it fixed something else will happen. We have used ours for 3 seasons of snow birding in Florida and this year for the first time I am battling a very minor but annoying water leak in back of the Utility Distribution Center (UDC). We have had many other minor problems but I knew this was going to happen and I've repaired them myself. Our dealer was 4 hours away from us and another that is 2 hours doesn't like working on RV's they didn't sell.
I'm hoping everything gets fixed quickly for you, hopefully your dealer looks out for you and remember sometimes it pays to call Heartland, they have always been very helpful. A month ago they were helping me figure out the 110 wiring location on the frame of my FW. Just call with your Vin. number.