landing Gear hydraulic hose failure

picked up our new 3950FB Big Country in Hammond, LA. Made it to LaFayette, LA to stay a few nights. On opening the front compartment to get wheel chocks, found ATF spattered all throughout the compartment. The ends of two different retract ATF feeder (black) lines were split at the crimped end and I could see the white inner hose lining. One has a bubble in it at the same location about the size of a egg. I called the dealer and gave them the rundown and they told me that they did not carry those parts and could not help me. I have kept my truck hooked up out of fear that the bubble could burst, losing all pressure and the front of unit crash. Does anyone know if the HYDAC valves prevent this as check valves? By the way, LIPPERT told me that Heartland buys their own hoses and does all crimping of the fittings in house. Any feedback on unhitching my truck to go get some ATF and wine for the wife? Both systems are in need of each!!

LockandLoadJESUS
Old Huey chopper pilot
101st ABN Div
Vietnam 68-69

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I had electric front landing gear and had a failure, I used two 20 ton bottle jacks to unhitch and hitch.
Did that for a couple of weeks and it worked just fine.
Took a little longer to do because of having to raise each side a little at a time till the pressure was off the hitch.
Be sure to chock the tires.

Peace
Dave

jdfishing

When I replaced a hydraulic hose on my previous Bighorn, it had to be ordered from the factory. They needed to know what it went to and the exact length.

danemayer

At the North Texas Chapter Rally last year, one rig had a blowout on their GY tire and sustained damage to one of the hydraulic hoses. A local service guy replaced the hose on site at the rally.

jbeletti

... By the way, LIPPERT told me that Heartland buys their own hoses and does all crimping of the fittings in house...

This is correct information. Sounds like a poorly crafted fitting. Fluid is getting under the outer jacket. Be real careful around the bubble - lots of pressure.

jimtoo

Don't know where you are right now... La or Bandera, Tx. But lots of auto parts stores, Tractor Supply and others are making hydraulic hoses now. You might block the front frame area good and remove the hose and take it in to a parts house and let them redo the end that is leaking. Since it's one of the front hoses it should not be to hard to remove and reinstall.

Jim M

MTPockets

Ditto on getting the hose made. Look in yellow page directory or phone, under hydraulic hoses. Lots of industrial suppliers and hose shops around. The company I retired from made lots of hoses every day. Take the ol one and get one better than original.

Thanks to all who replied. Have a repair man coming in the a.m. and will upgrade the hoses so this worry is done with. I agree on bad crimps Going with a metal type jacket cover and then head to Livingston, Texas