New to 5th Wheels and trucks

kenn2671

My wife and I have pretty much decided on an ElkRidge 5th Wheel. We have not purchased yet, and are looking for one with a washer/dryer hookup. Also, need info on a 2006 - 2008 Truck, diesel Crew. My son says the Chevs are the best. My son in law prefers Dodge. I like the Ford F350s. Looking for feedback on them all, what I should be looking for, potential problems, etc. I don't know much about trucks, so anything would be helpful. We are looking to buy around $25K for truck and $30K for RV. Thanks in advance. Regard, Kenn and Kath

jimtoo

Hi Kenn and Kath,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and soon to the family of owners. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

ElkRidge is a really nice unit and you will be very happy with one I'm sure. Now trucks..that is hard to decide,, what you like is the best for you. All 3 make good tow vehicles it just depends on your own wants and what you find in your price range.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit when you get it.

Jim M

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We chose our new Elkridge because it gave us the best bang for our budget. So far it has been an awesome trailer. The Elkridge line also offers a wide range of floor plans and weight ranges. We pull ours with a 07 RAM DRW. A great truck. But you will be happy with any of the big 3.

Enjoy and and safe travels.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hello kenn2671. Welcome to the Heartland family. If you're going to look at Ford trucks start at 2012 and up. Many of the older ones had some head gasket problems.

Mine is a 2006 and it is doing well so far. Have 200K plus mines on it. Replaced a lot of the accessories around the engine including the turbo, but not the block or heads. I had an EGR block on it and programed it with SCT programmer for towing. Doing well so far and hope to do so in the future.

BC

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Be sure the truck can tow the GVWR of the trailer, not the dry weight. Check out www.fifthwheelst.com to learn about proper towing.

Btw we love our ElkRidge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Stay away from one of the Fords. I think it was the 6 liter. Love my 2008 Dodge and buy one again. Can't beat the factory exhaust brake they started using then and the beefed up tranny.

Jim.Allison

The RAM Trucks have a death grip on the market. Its not saying anything bad about the other two, its just saying something good about RAMs. The Cummins 6.7 Turbo is at the heart of their game.

But you are looking to get into a 6 to 8 year old truck, If you are fortunate enough to find a clean rig of any kind in that market, you are going to be needing to look around for a really cared for rig.

I would recommend that perhaps you trying to buy a 5th wheel and a truck as a pair from someone who is ready to move on to another adventure in life.