Full-timing

svanarts

Just wondering if folks feel the Bighorn is suitable for full-timing. When the kids move out (soon hopefully) we intend to sell everything and hit the road. Bighorn seems to have the floorplan we like at a good price point. Is Bighorn a good brand for full-timing?

Was also wondering how Heartland after-sale support has been. Another concern is that we will most likely not stick around in the area we purchase our 5er very long. How difficult is it to get warranty work done at other dealers? I mean, we'll be living in this unit, we can't drop it off at some dealer for 2 months while they wait for parts... IF they will even take us.

I understand this is a Heartland-owned forum and I want to be sensitive to that. But would love honest input.

jimtoo

Hi svanarts,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

We have a lots of folks that are full timing in Heartland units, from Landmarks to North Trails and others. It just depends on what your wants and requirements are as to which unit you choose. I think the Bighorn is one of the most popular all around units that Heartland produces. The Landmark and Bighorn are both listed for full timing.

Heartland is easy to work with on warranty issues if you follow normal procedures and are a nice customer. Heartland even authorizes independent repair shops and folks to do warranty work. If you need something done, call customer service with VIN and problem and get authorization and they may be able to give you the name or contact person for repairs needed in your area.
And I don't think I have ever heard of a totally trouble free unit made by any company.

And even though this is a Heartland RVs owned forum, they only glean information for improvements to units, take and ask for suggestions from owners, and help owners with information when they can and also warranty info. The company does not monitor the whole forum, but we as moderators do monitor all post. We do not edit or change any post unless it becomes nasty or is repeated or becomes a total bashing comment against anyone or any company.

As you will see when you visit the different areas of the forum you will see both good and bad.

Enjoy the forum and join our family.

Jim M

Check out this thread with comments from other owners.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We are one of the full timers Jim mentioned. We lived full time in our 2008 Bighorn for six years...made an excellent home even in cold weather...would still have it today if I hadn't tired of my "one butt kitchen"... LOL! We are now in our third year with our 2013 Landmark...it too is a wonderful home. We tend to do most repairs ourselves, and other than a major issue in the Bighorn that was fixed at the factory, everything else has been small issues we have handled.

Only used a dealer after a blowout for body repairs. The dealer was suggested by Heartland...they had hookups so we stayed there and we had our rig back each night. In several cases a quick call to Heartland and they shipped parts directly to us...we've been very satisfied with Heartland's after the sale service

MTPockets

Full time now 3 years in our Big Horn; traveling from FL to Washington and spent this winter in AZ. We love the life style and the Big Horn. Any issues we had were early and handled well. if you plan to travel much, my recommendation is to upgrade your running gear; tires, axles, suspension, pin box. There are lots of rough roads and we read about so many problems. Upgrade now like we did and avoid roadside problems.

wdk450

You can get repair warranty service from ANY RV repairer you choose. Just contact heartland Service before taking the rig in for repair. Many owners have had less than stellar experiences with RV sales dealers service departments. They are usually the poor stepchild required of the sales business, where the big profits are. Many of us here subscribe to the idea that the INDEPENDENT RV servicer (no RV sales on site) has financial and continued business incentives to get your work done quickly and to your satisfaction. The website RVServiceReviews.com can also guide you, along with inquires on this website, to a good servicer in your area, wherever you are.

Due to my personal experiences, and advice of experienced individuals in the RV and insurance industries, for fulltiming I would strongly recommend you go to the National Heartland rally in Goshen Indiana some year, and get the usual MorRyde Rally specials on trailer disk brakes and independent suspension upgrades. This will beef up your frame and suspension substantially, get rid of failure-prone springs, shackles and equalizers, and radiacally improve your rig's stopping ability.