Another project on the horizon.

olcoon

The past few days I've been un-winterizing our coach, checking everything out to make sure everything is still working & up to snuff. I've been in & out of the rig for the past 2-3 days, and today when I was stepping outside, out of the corner of my eye I saw what looked like someone had taken a black magic marker & put 3 streaks on it. When I got on the ground & looked closer I could see they were cracks in the FRP on the inside of the camper door. Don't know how they got there or what caused them. Didn't see them until this afternoon, so I don't know if it just happened today, or it was like that before today. My first guess was that water had leaked in & froze causing it, but I'd think if that was the case it would be kind of poked out, but the surface it's as level as can be. I was kind of thinking possibly stress, & had checked the level earlier & it was spot on. Kind of a mystery! I quickly looked, & it looks like I'll be able to take the frame off that holds the FRP in & use the old as a pattern to make a new one. Anybody got any ideas?

IMG_0966.jpgIMG_0965.jpg

Garypowell

It will be interesting to see what you come up with to fix this. I am in the rig and just looked at it and it looks like it is just pressed together.

Maybe just covering it somehow.

Keep us posted.

olcoon

At this point I don't really know. I'm hoping it's not glued, or somehow bonded together, if it is, maybe there is a new door in our future! :(

olcoon

Sounds good to me! Just have to get approval from the queen that "thinks" she is in charge. She doesn't get on here often, so I feel pretty safe!!!

jbeletti

Roy - looks like it cracked from cold weather - though it's not like you're in the tundra. I've seen it once before on the forum years ago and can't recall the fix. Of course, a new door will fix it but ouch $$. Get hold of Heartland to determine who made that door, then contact the door mfr to see what they say could be the cause and fix.

I know we use a lot of Lippert doors now, but not sure if that's what you have.

olcoon

How thick is the material?
I haven't measured it, but I'd guess it's around 1/8" or somewhere in that neighborhood.

Jim, last night I thought about calling Heartland to research it some to decide my plan of attack. Do you think they'd take care of it at the rally? Either fix, or replace the door? I agree, possibly it was the cold weather, it did get cold this winter, but we didn't have the extreme cold like we've had in the past.

jbeletti

I haven't measured it, but I'd guess it's around 1/8" or somewhere in that neighborhood.

Jim, last night I thought about calling Heartland to research it some to decide my plan of attack. Do you think they'd take care of it at the rally? Either fix, or replace the door? I agree, possibly it was the cold weather, it did get cold this winter, but we didn't have the extreme cold like we've had in the past.

Roy - I don't think they'll be doing any door/window repalcements there - so I'd say this would be a no-go :( Do make the call today to see what you can learn.

olcoon

Well, I just got off the phone with Heartland, and the door is definitely laminated. I asked him about fixes, and his only suggestion was that he's heard of people putting white tape over the cracks. I don't think that's an option!

Jim, thanks for the link, I was wondering if something like that could be done. Didn't sound too difficult, I'm thinking that's possibly what might get done.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Roy, If you'd stop aggravating Sally she wouldn't be throwin shoes at you on the way to the dog house and you would need to be fixin doors. Just a thought.

sengli

Ours did the very same thing, a couple of winters ago. At first the crack started out small, but kept getting larger. Luckily the coach was still under warranty, and they replaced the entire door, twice actually. But that was a different story, concerning the dealers workmanship.