Curt Q5 20k Hitch

avvidclif

I'm looking at one of these to help reduce the load on my rear axle vs the Husky 16k slider I currently have and have never needed.

Any thoughts on the hitch itself, Curt no longer has any info on their website about it that I can find, a big negative for me, therefore I'm looking for actual users and their thoughts. What to look for? I know it has some rubber bumpers (I think) and grease joints??

ncc1701e

I have had mine for four years. Never any problems and yes there are grease points. Comes apart in two pieces for easy handling and removal from truck.

Garypowell

Have had mine for 6 - 7 years or so. The head went bad (diagnosed by them via photos) about two years ago. The jaws were letting the pin move forward during a stop and then back when staring off.

Had a new head the next day.

I do believe in hooking up it is a little more tempermental in that you must "engage it" fairly straight on. Don't mean the angle you approach it but the pin must be centered in jaws for engagement. Once you know this it is ok.

I had a bigger name hitch for 10 years (that was excellent too) that I am comparing it to. But the Curt was so much more reasonably priced I could not pass it up. We had taken a two year break from RV'ing so I was starting over with all new equipment.

B

Boatman

I currently tow using a Curt Q5 20k and am very satisfied with it. I too had a big brand hitch and constantly had problems. However, I do find the Curt is heavy, but I takes mass to tow mass. Don't think you could go wrong with a Curt.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a link to Curtmfg.com [LINK] with info on the Q series hitches.
Here is a link to an Ebay seller that has good pricing and fast shipping. [LINK] I have purchased from them.
I have had my Curt in two trucks for 8 years now. I did put all new rubber bushings in it last year.

Peace
Dave

Pizzadigger

I have that same hitch and really like it. But I don't understand why you think it will reduce the load on your axle.......

avvidclif

I finally got together with the guy and bought the hitch. He said he used it twice and it looks like it. The hitch plate has 2 quarter size rub spots and that's it. Got it installed and next week will see what happens. I weighed it and it's 138 lbs. I don't know what my slider weighs but it's more than that.