I've joined the Blowmax club.

oscar

Although I did almost get to 10K.

As we parked on the campground in Mississippi my wife commented that the 4 and 6 tire (Right Center and Right Rear) were awfully close together. I explained about the special Dexter spring linkage and that they are normally close, and sometimes after backing in with braking they can get very close.

Sometimes I should pay closer attention to what my wife says.

On the way back to PA we were on the road for 25 or so miles when we got the dreaded passing car with people hanging out the window pointing somewhere back there. "Thank You". Pull over, and 4 and 6 are rubbing together grooving each other up with some smoke for extra ambiance.

Fortunately the next exit was less than a mile. We get off and find a nice empty church parking lot. I get under there and it appears that the shackles involved are a little closer than on the other side, so that is the direction I start digging. We left winter and thus salt country, and there was quite a bit of surface corrosion, so I figured they were hanging up. I never go anywhere without at least one can of PB-blaster, so I hosed them down. Proceeded to put chocks on the wheels in question, and rocked the rig back and forth a bit to get things moving. After about five minutes of this I had about 1/4" clearance and figured things were working their way loose, and all would be well.

Very proud of myself we get back on the road. 25 miles later someone fired a 105mm Howitzer back there. Seconds later the TPMS starts screaming. Duh. Pull over and, you guessed it, 6 has cratered. Fortunately damage to the surrounding area is minimal, and once again we are less than a mile from an exit. Right off it we find a truck stop, fire up the genny, grab a snack and sit down to think. (It's Sunday). So, the plan is to very carefully find an RV repair shop in the morning to take a look at Dexter. Meanwhile I decide to get a head start and put on the spare.

This is where it gets interesting. I take off the old wheel, and inspect the damage. The rubbing (which had obviously continued after I thought it was getting better) had grooved the tire to the point where it failed. But, as I rolled it away I suddenly noticed that 180º opposite the failed area THERE WAS NO GROOVING.......NOTHING. The tire looked fine...... As I'm scratching my head it starts to dawn on me. And, after I put on the spare I confirm there was nothing wrong with Dexter. The tire had developed a bulge, probably as a result of an internal failure. With the spare on the gap was back to normal. I had the wife drive the rig slowly forward and the gap was fine, and constant.

This also explained why the #4 was grooved, but a lot less and all around. It was being rubbed randomly all around, whereas #6 was continuously hitting in the same spot, where it wore through, or the internal failure just reached critical stage. This also explained why my horsing around in the church parking lot opened up the gap. I simply moved enough inches to get the bulge somewhat out of the way.

So, with renewed morale we head back on the road, hoping that #4 would hold up the remaining 800 miles and that we wouldn't have the need for another spare. Well, the next day around 7pm in Carlysle PA, 100m from the house the TPMS starts screaming. Slow leak in #4. Darn. Once again though (yes that's three in a row) we are right at an exit and there are three, yes three large truck stops right there, including one with a fleet service garage open till 11pm. The leak in #4 was a hole, and I'm not sure it had anything to do with the grooving, but could well have been a nail or something like that. I wanted them to plug it, as all I wanted was to get home with minimal expense, to fix it all right later. Well, he took one look at the tire and said....."No, ain't plugging that". Fair enough. Fortunately he had the right size tire and tread in stock, yes, a genuine Blowmax!. I back inside in bay # 7, they pulled the wheel, mounted the new tire, put the wheel back on and torqued it down properly. Less than 45 minutes after getting off the road we were back on, all for $150

I have a TPMS, and I watch it like a hawk. I keep my pressures where they need to be and these tires have never overheated. I am not seriously overloaded. So, I now believe that the tires these units come with are not enough and/or of inferior quality. I have decided that there are 6 new 17" wheels and 4500# tires in my future.

(Edited for spelling.)

Attachments

• IMG_4271.jpg
    IMG_4271.jpg
    807.8 KB · Views: 66

jbeletti

That's quite the story. Sorry about your troubles. As you are considering an upgrade to 17.5" load range H tires and wheels, consider contacting Trailer Tires and Wheels in Edon, OH / Scott Longanbach @ 419-272-2277. Though I don't have it yet, Scott is working on a Goshen Rally Special on 17.5" tires and wheels. That special will be made available to all Heartlanders and they ship nation wide. Give him a call and ask for the Heartland special he's working up :)

oscar

That's quite the story. Sorry about your troubles. As you are considering an upgrade to 17.5" load range H tires and wheels, consider contacting Trailer Tires and Wheels in Edon, OH / Scott Longanbach @ 419-272-2277. Though I don't have it yet, Scott is working on a Goshen Rally Special on 17.5" tires and wheels. That special will be made available to all Heartlanders and they ship nation wide. Give him a call and ask for the Heartland special he's working up :)

That is AWESOME! Perfect timing. Thank you for your effort. I will give him a call. Our next mission is July, so I can wait a few if I have to. When is Goshen?

oscar

BTW, I understand that moderators have to moderate, but moving this thread means I'll never find it again and I DO think that the Blowmax issue is particularly prevalent in the tri axle arena so.... ah well, never mind.

jbeletti

Oscar,

TowMax is not related to 3 axle Hearltand coaches only. At one time, it was related to all our 5th wheel brands except Landmark. For this reason I moved your thread here to the tires forum. That said, when we move entire threads, there is an automatic 1 week expiring redirect in place. This means that if you go back now to where you originally posted this thread, you will find this thread there. When you click on it, it takes you here.

This automatic expiring redirect is a forum feature that allow the mods to keep things organized, yet allows the OP (original poster) a simple means of finding their thread (within the 1 week period anyway).

Goshen is in June of this year (link). But you won't have to come to Goshen or wait until then for the special, if the special comes through. I try to make them effective May 1 through June 30. Most but not all vendors will do these dates for me.

oscar

Oscar,

TowMax is not related to 3 axle Hearltand coaches only. At one time, it was related to all our 5th wheel brands except Landmark. For this reason I moved your thread here to the tires forum. That said, when we move entire threads, there is an automatic 1 week expiring redirect in place. This means that if you go back now to where you originally posted this thread, you will find this thread there. When you click on it, it takes you here.

This automatic expiring redirect is a forum feature that allow the mods to keep things organized, yet allows the OP (original poster) a simple means of finding their thread (within the 1 week period anyway).

Goshen is in June of this year (link). But you won't have to come to Goshen or wait until then for the special, if the special comes through. I try to make them effective May 1 through June 30. Most but not all vendors will do these dates for me.

Cool. I will call him soon. If necessary I can wait.

Jim.Allison

When Towmax start rolling, Towmax failure reports increase. Been quiet for a couple of months, but his last week, the reports have increased.

DW_Gray

Did you know...

That every RV forum has multiple complaints about various models of RV tires? By contrast, there are few complaints about the same tire filed at NHTSA.
Consider spending less time filing a NHTSA complaint. NHTSA does not read RV forums. Complaints may be filed even without recommended details such as the tire DOT number.
Three important recommendations: Take before and after pictures for reference, keep a current tire log in the RV, and leave the emotions out of the details when filing a complaint.

justafordguy

I think the reason you see many complaints on forums and not on the NHTSA site is because not many people know how to file a complaint there. Everyone knows how to complain about something on a forum.;)

DW_Gray

I think the reason you see many complaints on forums and not on the NHTSA site is because not many people know how to file a complaint there. Everyone knows how to complain about something on a forum.;)
How or where? The how is in writing at the link provided. As for where, that is the reason I posted the info in three different threads today. Maybe a sticky thread is appropriate. Oh, wait a minute, there is one. Although, the title could be changed and update the links.