Front compartment sealed against dust and critters

lishshel

We just bought a new Sundance 2880 RLT last month and found to our utter shock and surprise that the front compartment has several large (1-2 inch x 15 inch) gaps to the outside that would certainly allow a lot of dust into the compartment, and many of them were large enough to let mice or even squirrels in to have free range of our fifth wheel. We have fixed all of this by cutting and fitting blue styrofoam insulation to fill all gaps and cracks. This is an issue that should have been addressed at the factory.

brianharrison

The front compartment on my coach has similar openings to provide ventilation knockouts for a generator installation.

Brian

Bohemian

They all MUST be that way for ventilation. It is an equipment compartment where the equipment requires ventilation. That is it's necessary and intended use.

If you use completely ventless batteries (some types of LA AGMN, or Lithium) AND you will never have a generator or any other type of equipment that needs a vented space, you could potentially seal that space. That would certainly be the rare exception.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't have a genny and the aux. battery bix is empty (but does have a vent hose). I sealed it with spray foam. Around the jack openings, I stuff soft foam around them, once we're parked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncc1701e

We just bought a new Sundance 2880 RLT last month and found to our utter shock and surprise that the front compartment has several large (1-2 inch x 15 inch) gaps to the outside that would certainly allow a lot of dust into the compartment, and many of them were large enough to let mice or even squirrels in to have free range of our fifth wheel. We have fixed all of this by cutting and fitting blue styrofoam insulation to fill all gaps and cracks. This is an issue that should have been addressed at the factory.

I sealed mine. Made sure the battery vent was good and sealed everything else. I added foam all-around frame for insulation. Worked great. Used caulking on every seam.

lishshel

I sealed mine. Made sure the battery vent was good and sealed everything else. I added foam all-around frame for insulation. Worked great. Used caulking on every seam.
It sounds like we both did the very same thing. The extra insulation can't hurt, and the dusty roads we drive on won't end up coming home with us in the front compartment. Thanks for your reply.