king pin tripod or landing gear stabilizers

LLARA

I need some help on deciding on the king pin tripod or landing gear stabilizers? If anyone can recommend from their experience from using either would be a great help. Just trying to stabilize so there isn't so much movement. Thank you

Westwind

I would recommend trying the trailer without and then go from there, I have a tripod which I got because the Washer/Dryer compartment was in the front right of our floorplan, it does help, especially with the washer is in the spin mode. I would thin the Landing gear stabilizer would work well also but I don't know how easy it would be to hitch up with that setup since I've never had them.

Garypowell

I use king pin and put 4 scissor jacks before and after wheels. The main trick is once you have the pin stabilizer and front jacks as tight as you can get the bump the front down. Then bring down the rear scissor jacks....the ones I installed. We sometimes we use the electric jack in the back but it is generally worthless and it fights my rear scissor which I trust more.

But westwind had the best answer try it as it stands first and then build from there. You won't know improvement unless you know the base movement.

Lynn1130

There are several threads here about both that may help you decide but the general feeling is that the tripod is a waste of money. There are several different stabilizers brands. I am sure you will get a wealth of recommendations shortly.

avvidclif

My 2 cents, the tripod stabilizer is a waste of money. Get the JT Strongarms or equivalent for the landing gear, front and back. For max stability get the 6 point auto-level.

DocFather

For almost every Ying there is a Yang. The tripod works great for me. I got it also, after using my washer which is in the front bedroom closet. It eliminated movement from others in the rig.

paleclaire

My 2 cent ales...forget the tripod, mine is in a landfill, I bought the winfeild x brace and 2 x wheel chocks and eliminated 90% of the jiggles. 3 grandkids / 2 beagle tested!

'Lil Guy'

I just installed the Steadyfast system to my rig. Only hve the front installed now and I can assure you it made a huge difference. Easy to install and reallly works. I'm doing the rear this weekend. You can see it on youtube. Again, it works. mIt costs about $280.00 and well worth the money. Stays attached and you just tighten 3 quick links at the site. Takes under a minute.

rayk4e

Just brought home our new Road Warrior last week and it has the 6-point Level-Up system. It seems pretty solid sitting on the gravel pad with no stabilizing system attached. Contemplating whether or not I should buy a kingpin stabilizer or not (this is our first Fifth Wheel). My gut says to wait and see how it feels during our first outing in a couple of weeks.

Garypowell

Follow your gut. There will be plenty of time....spend your money first on the mods to make the inside comfortable for you.

Bones

I have JT Strongarms on our Gateway and, while it helps, does not eliminate the shimmy from just walking through the RV...

I agree with MMGliderPilot in the JT strong arms help a lot but the rig still moves. I would assume until I take the weight off the wheels and axles I will always have movement. The only thing to fix that would be a hydraulic system.

DocFather

I agree with MMGliderPilot in the JT strong arms help a lot but the rig still moves. I would assume until I take the weight off the wheels and axles I will always have movement. The only thing to fix that would be a hydraulic system.

Shaking will still occur to some degrees even with the wheels off the ground. I don't care what some have posted about the KingPin tripod. If you utilize it correctly, it works just as good as anything else.

Bones

Shaking will still occur to some degrees even with the wheels off the ground. I don't care what some have posted about the KingPin tripod. If you utilize it correctly, it works just as good as anything else.

So you still shake with a hydraulic system? I have the sidewinder on my unit so the simple tripod wont work too well. I would have to modify it slightly to fit.

DocFather

So you still shake with a hydraulic system? I have the sidewinder on my unit so the simple tripod wont work too well. I would have to modify it slightly to fit.

I have the 6-pt Level Up (Lippert) - combined with my tripod, I feel almost no shake when my g/f is in the RV and just minimal when the washer is spinning. But my tires are always on the ground or 2 x 10's

MTPockets

We used a king pin tripod first year out, but got tired of hauling it and setting it up. Can't really detect any difference without it. I do use two jack stands when parked for a while; one on each side in front of wheels under the frame. Makes for a rock solid unit.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Landing gear stabilizers. You will never get all the bouncy out since the camper is sitting on rubber tires but the stabilizers helps with the wricking.

alexb2000

Winfield x brace reduced shaking by 70 - 80% on my rig

Agreed, I just put the Winfield brace on and it really does help a lot. I also love that it stays on the trailer, no packing, no forgetting, storing, etc.

I also found the X-chocks to be as important for shake as compared to regular wheel chocks.

The other thing I do is place blocks under the rear jacks and tighten them enough to take just a little of the weight off the swings.

All three of those things seem to work for me.

piet10

I have the Steadyfast system on my Greystone. Easy to install, and took out 90% of the shaking. I would highly recommend it for the money.

Al