ATF: Big Country - Water Heater Bypass Valve Issue

ufda

It appears that the water heater bypass valve is leaking water into the basement of our 2013 BC.

The valve sprays water when placed in the "Normal" position. The water sprays from the bottom of the valve.

Is there a replacement available for this valve?

Thanks

Attachments

• Valve.jpg
    Valve.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 49

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You can probably get one from Heartland, but I've seen similar configurations at many RV parts places; nor exactly the same, but same functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Water Heater Bypass valve leaking

In looking at your picture I see that there are three pex fittings screwed into the valve.
There is a good chance that those fittings are leaking at the threads.
Before replacing the valve I would inspect the fittings and/or the pex clamps.

Peace
Dave

aatauses

Try tightening the pex fitting first---yes you can buy the valve from HL
al

MCTalley

Try tightening the pex fitting first...

I bought a PEX crimper (SharkBite brand) from The Home Depot for a plumbing modification on our rig. It has since come in handy to stop at least one leak by tightening up a factory crimp. We were fortunate that we pretty much never had any leaks on our last Big Country. If this one was the only one on the new rig, I'll be happy.

ufda

Thanks for the replies y'all, problem is fixed, was able to find the valve and slip-on PEX fittings at my local RV dealer. I had never messed with PEX before so this was a great learning experience. I believe that some water had back flowed after I winterized the BC and froze the fitting thus the hairline crack in the pic.

I believe I will fashion a low point drain to prevent future problems, or, disconnect the fittings next winter

Don

Attachments

• old valve.jpg
    old valve.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 36

f250dieseldad

Mine had the same problem. It was split. I replaced it with a brass valve and guess what it had a split where it was cast. My solution is to retire and spend the winters where it is warm!!!