onan 5500 lp

Ronald Pagel

Prospector
Hi We have a 214 Savannah with generator prep. We bought a onan 5500 lp. what I don't know is the transfer switch
pre wired to the battery compartment or do I have to take the panel off in the storage compartment??
does anybody know?
Prospector

branson4020

Icantre Member
In the gen compartment there should be a junction box, possibly with circuit breakers, where you would connect the output of your genny. That box is already wired to one input of the transfer switch. The other input is already wired to shore power. The output of the transfer switch is wired to your 120V main breaker panel. You MAY need to get to the transfer switch to remove a plastic lock-out on the genny side.

Jim.Allison

Yes, the plastic lock out. Mine was yellow, and since I did not remove it, I burned up my transfer switch. I have warned others about it and been met with vehement denials of any such lockout being present. DO NOT BELIEVE IT. THERE DEFINITELY MAY BE A LOCKOUT DEVICE on your transfer switch. If it is not removed then you WILL burn up your transfer switch. You may have to push down on the contacts to remove the lock out, I really can remember how it comes out. I taped it to a nearby drain pipe so I would have it in the event that I might need it.

Ditto on the J-box in the garage or generator compartment. And my transfer switch was behind my basement wall.

Follow your installation guide and you will do fine.

In the gen compartment there should be a junction box, possibly with circuit breakers, where you would connect the output of your genny. That box is already wired to one input of the transfer switch. The other input is already wired to shore power. The output of the transfer switch is wired to your 120V main breaker panel. You MAY need to get to the transfer switch to remove a plastic lock-out on the genny side.