Sundance - Generator

My Husband and I are brand new RV owners and are getting ready to go on a 3 year full time adventure. We plan on doing a lot of boondocking so we are going to need a generator. My question is will the generator charge the battery, or do we need to purchase a power inventer? We have a 2015 Sundance SD3380

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your generator is providing 120 volts to power your Sundance, the converter will be charging the battery.

Peace
Dave

branson4020

Icantre Member
Not sure what you mean by "a lot" of boondocking, but, if you plan on being without shore power for more than 2-3 days at a stretch., you should consider upgrading your battery pack and adding solar panels.

caissiel

I feel that solar panel should be considered before a generator.
I always had dead batteries and spend a fortune on batteries due to improper charging. After 20 years I installed solar at the price of a generator and leave the generator home. Peace of mind with batteries at 100% charge by noon and can also charge friends dead batteries in the afternoon. It's a no brainner solar panels before the genny.

Bohemian

Your converter will charge your batteries, but you might want to change oit out or add a battery charger to get a much higher charge rate and make much better use of your generator. Sit down and calculate the charge times for your converter and the percent of capacity that your converter/charger is using.

dbbls59

If you need the air conditioner you will need a generator. Solar panels and batteries won't do it.

avvidclif

I feel that solar panel should be considered before a generator.
I always had dead batteries and spend a fortune on batteries due to improper charging. After 20 years I installed solar at the price of a generator and leave the generator home. Peace of mind with batteries at 100% charge by noon and can also charge friends dead batteries in the afternoon. It's a no brainner solar panels before the genny.

Will solar run my 3 A/C's?. A/C is a requirement in Texas where they are from.

HornedToad

You guys up north of the Mason-Dixon line probably only snowbird in Texas during the winter.
In the summer it's HOT, and you gotta have an AC generator to run your ACs.
Solar with an inverter is great, but it won't run an AC for long.

It's only spring time and and the West Texas forecast this week is for high temps pushing 90 degrees.
This weekend I'll fire up my generator Friday when I set up, and run my ACs until Sunday when I head home.

My camping buddy has a Sundance and he bought a 7000 watt Honda generator to run both (two) of his ACs.
He had a welder build him a custom detachable bumper rack, similar to the one available on an Elkridge, to tote it around for boon-docking.