Damage, Driver side rear on Oakmont

crussian

Well, I've really messed things up now. After 10 years of hauling a 5th wheel (25 ft Keystone Cougar), we traded for an Oakmont and couldn't be happier. Pulling out of our backyard a couple of weeks ago and BAM!, I hit the fence/gate where I pull in and out of the backyard. Hardly felt it but man, the damage I did. Not happy with myself. Now I have to repair the Oakmont AND repair my fence. Apparently the "swing out" on a 38ft. unit is far more than a 25ft unit. Lesson learned.

I obviously need to get it repaired and done by professionals. I will probably call the dealer where I bought the unit and ask where do they recommend. I have full coverage so I am sure my insurance company will want 2 or 3 estimates. I live in a small town and have only seen car paint and body shops. I haven't searched google yet but thought I would ask the group of Arizona RV'ers if they have had to have their unit repaired and if there were any recommendations out there.

I have taken steps to move where I park the Oakmont but that will be several weeks away. I have also swapped out the Power King TowMax tires for S637 Sailuns. I drive a bit more at ease. Although my wife and I both work full time, I want to purchase items I feel will be needed once we start RV'ing with a bit more frequency. I believe a TPMS is next. After that I'm not sure.

Thanks for letting me bend your ears.

SilverRhino

Sorry about your accident.......Don't beat yourself up, it can and does happen to all of us!

Good luck with your repairs.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Cary & Janet;

Oh NO! So sorry to hear about the damage. I know someone will chime in that have contacts for repairs. I know there is a very good RV Repair shop down the road from you in Sierra Vista. As you come into town from Herford it will be on the right side and close to Country Kitchen....I have purchased a few things there in the past and he was very reasonable. I can't remember the name of the shop however. Hope you get it fixed fast...
By the way you missed a great time at the Wine Festival....we all missed you.

Trailer Trash

I did the same thing, damage wasn't too bad, we went to the Heartland factory for frame work and they repaired the scratched side, you can't tell it ever hit my fence.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I pulled horses for years and years with a goose neck trailer and learned way back then that there's a big tail back there that likes to whip outwards on turns. Did it with the horse trailer and that's no fun with live animals on board. Sorry for your oopsy.

Az_Ernie

Well, I've really messed things up now. After 10 years of hauling a 5th wheel (25 ft Keystone Cougar), we traded for an Oakmont and couldn't be happier. Pulling out of our backyard a couple of weeks ago and BAM!, I hit the fence/gate where I pull in and out of the backyard. Hardly felt it but man, the damage I did. Not happy with myself. Now I have to repair the Oakmont AND repair my fence. Apparently the "swing out" on a 38ft. unit is far more than a 25ft unit. Lesson learned.

I obviously need to get it repaired and done by professionals. I will probably call the dealer where I bought the unit and ask where do they recommend. I have full coverage so I am sure my insurance company will want 2 or 3 estimates. I live in a small town and have only seen car paint and body shops. I haven't searched google yet but thought I would ask the group of Arizona RV'ers if they have had to have their unit repaired and if there were any recommendations out there.

I have taken steps to move where I park the Oakmont but that will be several weeks away. I have also swapped out the Power King TowMax tires for S637 Sailuns. I drive a bit more at ease. Although my wife and I both work full time, I want to purchase items I feel will be needed once we start RV'ing with a bit more frequency. I believe a TPMS is next. After that I'm not sure.

Thanks for letting me bend your ears.

I know exactly how you feel. Our 2015 Bighorn 3160EL is in the repair shop as I type. We were pulling away from the fuel pump having just fueled up and I did exactly the same thing. Was very carefully watching the right side of rig to keep from hitting a truck refueling beside us when we hear this terrible screeching noise. Stopped the truck and went back to investigate and saw that the left rear corner of our BH had stripped the fuel nozzles off the pump! The damage could have been much worse, fortunately we just scraped off a clearance light and knocked a quarter size chunk of fiberglass off the left rear corner of the rear cap. The dealership where we bought our trailer will be doing the repairs. Won't know until next week how much the repairs will cost. Luckily we have full coverage insurance with a $250 deductible. Learned a very expensive lesson on the rear swing radius of our rig!

UPDATE: Total cost for BH repairs $838 (my part will be $250 deductible). Again, could have been much worse!

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Been there, done that. 2nd trip, rig barely 2 months in our possession, in an RV park late at night, had an "encounter" with a pole. :-/

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430013415.233653.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlsoAlso had an unpleasant encounter with a gas pump in a rig a few weeks old so you are not alone. Had a 50gal transfer flow axillary tank installed in the back of truck soon after .... Gave me a total of 79 gal and peace of mind. Able to top off without the rig ... Bob

Geodude

Sorry to hear. I can say too that we're in the same club, back when we had a 32' TT. From that point on if there's any doubt when pulling away from gas pumps, campsite, etc., DW gets out and watches and hollers if tail swing is going to be a problem.

I read somewhere that for every three feet of trailer behind the trailer axles you get a foot of tail swing. I haven't verified that but intend to do so on our street or in a parking lost, the next time we go out.

crussian

Update: Got our unit back last week and it looks wonderful. La Mesa had to order a decal and it will be in within the week. So relieved. Again, La Mesa did an awesome job and made $2700 dollars in damage disappear. Whew! Wife is happy again.