Delam on not only our Sundance but another in storage...coincidence??

caissiel

I have a 2009 BC 3500RL. Last week I observed delaminating under the top fridge vent also.
But it don't stop there the other slides on the same driver side also is showing delaminating.
We have been parked in florida in 90 deg weather and think moisture got introduced in the wall to cause it. It just happened since I washed and waxed it last month while at Florida Resort before my departure 1st of April.
I am going home and will surely investigate.
One very important work I had to do this winter.
I removed the rear laminated cover sheet of the rear wall and the plywood was rotten from the window to the corner. The wood structure was also rotten and nothing was holding the 2 side walls at the rear.
But There was no sign of delamination. Just a soft wall.
The only way water got in was through the screw holes of the strips in the corners which according to my neighbor (an RV retired plant worker) there was no mastic tape sealing the screw holes.
My unit has none everywhere and I feel I have a serious problem with a very badly build unit.
Going home and doing some serious thinking, maybe call my insurance company and see if I can total it.
Also my front frame has been deflecting an inch. Much more then when new.
My 15 year old unit I traded with was in much better shape then our 6 year old unit. The unit has been taken care and we loved it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sounds to me that if a number of the same brand, made at the same plant at the same approximate time have the same delamination issues that would be a major manufacturing defect. I'm just saying...

branson4020

Icantre Member
Sounds to me that if a number of the same brand, made at the same plant at the same approximate time have the same delamination issues that would be a major manufacturing defect. I'm just saying...

Yes indeed Jim, it is an obvious major manufacturing defect, which is warranteed for ONE YEAR from the date of purchase. What am I missing here?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The problem may have started before the one year warranty expired and should be covered.

Our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner was built three years ago (April, 2012) . . . we purchased it on September 11, 2012 brand new . . . and to this date (today) we have put 4000 miles on it.

It is going in tomorrow to get both axles replaced, as well as the spring sets, which Lippert just recently decided to upgrade to a heavier duty axle and springs after ours failed.

Ironically, when I got the license plate, the first plate they tried to give me had the numbers '666' . . . and I asked for the next plate in the stack!

Kinda wish now I had taken the '666' plate! :p

Anywayz . . .

It took a lot (months) of leg work, emails and phone calls, but after getting our trailer weighed and showing that the trailer was over the stated dry weight by 1000+ pounds, Heartland and Lippert agreed to the replacement parts at no charge.

I have to pay the labor charges for the work, plus for the new wheel bearings, wheels and new tires, but it shows that Heartland and Lippert will step up to the plate if you can show that the issues were there all along!

When you call Heartland customer service . . . ask to speak to a supervisor or manager . . . don't waste your time with whomever answers the phone, because they can't help you since your warranty is up.

Good luck and hope all works out!

We've been thinking about upgrading our trailer after this work is done, and have been looking at Heartland Sundance, Elkridge and Prowler 5th-wheel models (all the same floor plan), so now I will look closely at the kitchen slideout!

We are still considering a bigger and nicer bumper-pull as well . . . or maybe we'll just keep our Trail Runner!

After all . . . we did love it when we picked it out 2 1/2 years ago!

Last edited:

caissiel

My policy is to fix it right and keep it because it becomes the best one. Will see about this one. I can repair it to last an other 10 years. Not to sure about a new one though.

Tundra2084

Re: Delam on not only ours but another in storage...coincidence??

Just an a little update on our problem. Today someone from Heartland called and spoke to me in regards to the delamination on the slideout behind the fridge. We are impressed that we received the call from the company and will be sending them the pictures already taken along with more pictures, taken of the top vent as they requested. We are attending the National Rally in Goshen and I told the person from Heartland that, we will wait to have the problem fixed until after the rally so they can visually see the problem first hand and if need be show us how if any water did intrude into our unit. We will keep this post updated as soon as we have more information.
We also want to thank everyone who responded with replies, even the one's who seemed to be blaming us for being out of warranty. Everyone has an opinion and everyone's is valid no matter if we like it or not. Thanks again Heartland for being willing to look at our problem and calling us. Its not often a company reaches out to their customers and they did.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would suggest that you tape a measuring tape (soft, fabric seamstress type) across the bulges at several points and photograph it for reference in case it grows between now and then.