Road Warrior fuel station gauge not registering levels

Luner

Just picked up a lightly used 2013 400RW, can't wait to get it out camping! We have owned RV's since '03, but this is our first toy hauler.

I filled up the fuel station tank and the auxiliary generator fuel tank, but the fuel gauge in the coach will not register a level in either tank. There is power to the pump (used it to fill my quad and the gen works too), and all the fuses in the interior panel appear to be working. Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

2005 Ford F-350 4x4 C/C DRW Lariat 6.0L PSD Auto 3.73
2013 Heartland Road Warrior 400RW
2007 Honda TRX 680FGA
2009 Honda TRX 420AT
2008 Honda TRX 90X

danemayer

Hi Luner,

Congratulations on the new-to-you Road Warrior and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Hopefully another toy hauler owner has experience with this and can give you advice.

OEFVET

The gauge only shows the reading when you push and hold it in the up position for generator tank or down and hold for the fueling tank. Same gauge for both.

Luner

Yes, I should have mentioned that I was aware of that and that it doesn't work. I've held the switch in each position for 5-10 seconds with no result. Puzzling!

OEFVET

I recommend you check with the former owner (if possible) to determine if it ever worked. If not it may not have been wired correctly from the factory. Start by taking the control panel screws off and determine if wires are actually going to the switch and gauge. Then you could use a continuity tester from the switch to the tanks sending units to verify no open is present.

Luner

No chance of checking with former owner, unit is from out-of-province. I removed the control panel and the switch is connected, so I may have to return the unit to the dealership (I just picked up a tester, I'll try it first). Thanks for the suggestions!

sbtgdh

I too purchased a used toyhauler this spring... a 2012 cyclone 4014.....very nice well looked after unit....bought it from a dealer as is...when we were looking at it I mentioned that the fuel gauge didn't work and the dealers comment was most don't work....normal problem.....so I just left it as is for the time being and added a bunch of fuel to make sure it just wasn't empty.....but to no avail still read empty.....I checked wiring for power and ground and tried grounding gauge from sense wire to ground to see if would read...still nothing. i was reading some posts and someone mentioned a good wiring schematic for these gauges on faria website so I pulled it up and right away noticed the power on my gauge was on the opposite side. I rechecked and sure enough mine appears to be wired backwards from the factory since new.....hard to believe no one ever checked it out or complained about it.... I swapped the 2 wires power and signal and low and behold I have a gauge reading now.....I have read other posts saying there gauges were wired incorrectly.....can't believe heartland hasn't issued a recall or bulletin advising of this wiring error.

Imurphy

I just picked up a new 420. I filled up both fuel tanks. Filling them can be another thread. But I burned almost all the fuel out of the generators tank. Then used the fuel station to refill the gen tank. I ran the fuel station dry. When I check the fuel level it still reads 3/4 of a tank. Will fill it again soon and see if the float stuck. Both gages were on E when I took delivery.

BruteForce

I know this is an old thread, but my fuel gauge also stopped working. I bought a replacement gauge (exact same unit), but nothing changed. I suspect that the sending unit (in or on the tank) has gone bad or has a wiring issue. Where to start?

kickinbar

I had the same issue with my 3210. Finally ended up dropping the tank and found that a mouse had chewed thru the wires. Spliced back together and gauge works great. Good luck.

ram_1955

I have one tank that works and one that doesn't. Generator/front tank reads but fuel station tank/rear tank doesn't.
Since one works and one doesn't I suspect wiring at the tank. I looked to see if I could reach the top of tank but no luck so I have the tank empty and when time permits I will drop the tank and check it out. Not looking forward to dropping a 30 gallon metal tank that is at least 5 feet wide.

Since my unit is new if I have other issues for dealer I may have them check it. Only thing is I trust my work over others.