Planning a trip from Kentucky to Yellowstone and beyond need input please

drsasser

We are planning a trip west and I want to go up to I-90 and west to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons Nat. park,
I'm not sure where after that but we would love to go to the west coast,
One of my concerns is the weather, I'm thinking about starting sometime in August but we want to end up coming back either I-10 or I-40,
I don't want to start our trip too early because of the hot weather in southern states but starting too late may cause us problems with snow and ice.

I know some of you guys are experienced travelers and will have some valuable input that will help us to decide the best time to start.
Thanks in advance
Denvis

Gaffer

After Labor Day is a great time to visit the Oregon coast. Beautiful weather and the kids are back in school so no crowds.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
The most scenic route by far is to exit at buffalo and take RT 16 over the Bighorns to Cody and on to the east entrance gate to Yellowstone. If your wanting to see Yellowstone on the way back (Sept is one of the two best times to tour the park) make you way to West Yellowstone and make the trip through Cody and back to buffalo that way. Make sure to leave time to visit us at our rally in West Yellowstone too.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...0-2015-to-9-13-2015/page2?p=407792#post407792

If we can be of any help drop me an email or PM

drsasser

Thanks guys
Very good information
I was wondering about diesel fuel, is there enough places to refill my fuel tank?
I'm sure I'll have lot's more questions in the future
Thanks again
Denvis
Edit: I noticed going west on 16 out of Buffalo the Big Horn mountains at one point are close to 10,000ft elevation
U think I'll have any problem going up or down with my rig?
Our elevation here is 1,200 ft so I'm concerned about the mountains

jimtoo

You should be fine with your Chev. But I would recommend that you try to plan on at least 3 days in Cody, Wy. They have restored and moved in some of the old cabins and shacks. There is also the most AWESOME Museum I have ever seen. If you like cowboys, the West, guns and art, you will need two days to tour the museum and then you probably wont see it all. Your entry fee gives you 2 day access. Take your time and enjoy.

Jim M

MCTalley

I was wondering about diesel fuel, is there enough places to refill my fuel tank?

We've taken I-90 through to Washington state twice and had no problems finding fuel along the way. We run with a stock 38 gallon tank.

Edit: I noticed going west on 16 out of Buffalo the Big Horn mountains at one point are close to 10,000ft elevation

You're probably lighter than we are with a similar tow setup. We had no problems over I-70 (max elevation 11,158) last summer coming back. 10k ft. will be a snap. It's not the total height, but how you get there (i.e. the climb/descent).

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
drsasser,

If your going to be out toward the West Coast in July we have the Oregon Rally and Washington Rally back to back and would love to have you guys join us. We are doing a large caravan from the Washington to the Oregon Rally and will have around 15 Heartland rigs in the caravan and another would be welcome. The details to that are in the Washington Rally thread.

Rod

codycarver

We travel over them regularly with our Bighorn. Not that big of a deal. The road is in excellent shape all the way over the mountain. There's a short stretch of road construction in Ten Sleep right now that may even be done by the time you get there. Definitely worth the trip compared to the interstate.

drsasser

I've been looking at the campgrounds in Yellowstone and noticed some the bathrooms don't have showers,
Is is possible to use the shower in the camper?
Which campground would you recommend to a first time visitor to the park
Thanks for you're very informative replies, I really appreciate the input.
Denvis
Edit: I just noticed that fishing village is the only campground with water/electric and sewer so that is where we want to stay if they have any sites available

codycarver

I've been looking at the campgrounds in Yellowstone and noticed some the bathrooms don't have showers,
Is is possible to use the shower in the camper?
Which campground would you recommend to a first time visitor to the park
Thanks for you're very informative replies, I really appreciate the input.
Denvis
Edit: I just noticed that fishing village is the only campground with water/electric and sewer so that is where we want to stay if they have any sites available

Getting anything in the park will require planning way ahead. Better book quickly if you want to stay at fishing bridge, it fills up very fast. If you can't stay in the park West Yellowstone has Grizzly RV park. It is very nice and West is literally a five minute drive to the west gate. You can make day trips in the park and still have all the convinces of full service RV park. Cody is about 50 miles from the east gate and also offers some nice day trips. Just depends on what you want to do. If you get to West I highly recommend the mac&cheese at the Wild West Saloon. Seven cheese's....it is out of this world good!