Not getting exactly what Heartland offered in our new Landmark

DirtyMax88

Good afternoon Everyone. Ordered a Landmark Newport back in January and took delivery at the beginning of May. We have to say we are completely in love with this trailer. Everything about it really is great, absolutely top of the line. We are not full timers, but wanted a nice travel trailer/5th wheel, so we went with the Landmark. As we took delivery (2016 model, not a 2015, btw) and started going through everything on the trailer we started noticing little things, that were in the trailer at the dealership, as well as on Heartland's website, but not in our trailer. The dual access trash cans that pull out on both sides of the island, the docking station over beside the dining table, and the bed mattress setup (we upgraded to the king) to name a few. When talking to the dealership, they said that Heartland can change things without notice, and that we needed to take it up with them. We contacted Heartland Customer service and they pretty much said that they made some "product change decisions" and that we were basically not getting what we thought and wanted. My biggest complaint or problem is that we just spent all this money (more then we wanted, to but fell in love with it at the dealership), and didn't get exactly what we wanted or picked out at the time of order, Especially in the bed! It is one memory foam mattress, and is very uncomfortable. Advertisement says or said, "“Queen size pillow top, memory foam mattress, RV style base mattress” (even pictured with 3 mattresses). So now we need to spend even more money to get a different set up so we can actually get a good nights rest in our trailer. I guess my question for all of you is what, if anything, can we do or do we just suck it up, forget about the things we wanted, buy a new bed and go on down the road. Don't get me wrong, we love love love the trailer, but in my mind when you spend this kind of money, you should get EXACTLY what you want, and not have to spend more, here and there to fix what they decided to just not put in the trailer. I feel like Heartland should make good on this...am I wrong?

danemayer

Hi DirtyMax88,

Complaints about RV mattresses are pretty common, and many of us have replaced the OEM mattress within the first year. RV Sleep Number mattresses are popular and sometimes Camping World puts them on sale. RV King-size 12" memory foam mattresses are also popular and can be had in the $600 price range from places like LastingImpressionsFoam.com. Ours is from Lasting Impressions.

I'm sure you know that when shopping for mattresses, the best way is to go to a mattress store and try them out until you find one you like. With RV king size mattresses, which are a bit narrower, you'll be shopping without having a chance to try it out until it's in the RV.

DirtyMax88

Hey danemayer!

I apprecaite the info on the new mattresses. Thank you! We will look into those.

I think I beat that to death, maybe a little more then I should. I guess what I was getting at was it seems more of a principle then anything else, at least for me anyway. I apologize for the rant....

scottyb

We added a 4 inch Serta Memory Foam topper to ours, and it is SO comfy.

Yes. Try a good quality topper before spending money on a new mattress. we added a latex foam topper and it transformed it from a hard board-like bed to a luxury bed, for a couple hundred $$$.

osims

bsims
We also added a 4" Serta memory foam topper and it really works great. Best price we found was Overstock.com

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I took this from the Heartlandrvs web site online brochure.

Due to Heartlands commitment to continuous product improvement - floorplans, materials, components,features, measurements, specifications, options, etc. are subject to change at any time without notice
or obligation. In certain conditions some additional equipment may be needed. Photos may show
optional equipment or props used for photography purposes only.

Peace
Dave

TxCowboy

Don't these memory foam toppers make the bed extra warm, as in they don't breathe well? I'd like to add something to make our bed more comfortable but if I turn the AC down one more degree my wife is going to skin me. She says she's already too cold at night. :)

jjriker

I have never found the memory foam topper to be more warm than another kind of mattress (and I'm the one in our family that needs cool temps for sleeping).

Greengas

Here is my input FWIW. They ordered exactly what they wanted. They signed a contract for that unit. They should have received what the contract called for. I understand that changes are made during a production run but they should not, repeat should not, impact a unit that was already ordered. If in fact the changes to the production line were made before the unit was ordered, then it is a simple case of false advertising because what was listed on the contract and agreed upon was already not available at the time the contract was signed and the buyer was not made aware of the changes. Can you imagine ordering an expensive car, expecting specific equipment, and then when you went to pick it up what you got was different from what you ordered.

When oh when will the RV community wake up and stop accepting being treated like not even a second class citizen by the manufacturers and dealers? *****

Now, all that said, I do like my Landmark and the service from Heartland has been good. But knowing the kind of hot head I am, if I picked up my new unit and it had the changes that DirtyMax88 described for his rig, I would have left it right there and demanded any money I had already given be returned since it was not what I ordered.

But then again, I am a known hot head. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We got the 4 inch topper like a lot of others we got ours at overstock.com very very comfy. I have also added a goose down cover to the topper and it makes it cool and even more comfy. We have had it for 9 years and still sleep good on it.

Chippendale

Don't these memory foam toppers make the bed extra warm, as in they don't breathe well? I'd like to add something to make our bed more comfortable but if I turn the AC down one more degree my wife is going to skin me. She says she's already too cold at night. :)

I solved this problem with a dual control electric blanket. Made everyone happy.

Chippendale

It is not just RV manufacturers, I ordered a custom built house boat one time, we flew up to the factory in Indiana and spent the day with them picking out furniture, colors, appliances etc. When it came in, not even close. They called me one day and asked what type of air conditioner did I want. I told them I didn't care, what ever was the best, assuming a standard marine AC unit. They told me it would have a compressor on the back of the boat, and individual units in each room similar to a motel room, but that it was the best, meaning cheapest for them. It worked great all summer, but as the weather got colder, my gut fear started to kick in, the system I thought would maintain constant inside temp no matter the outside temp, did not have a heating unit in it. These people were in Indiana and did not include a heater in the boat, nor did they tell me that it would not have one. I deducted the cost of the electric heat strips from the final payment, and it took over a year to finally get it to our satisfaction. If they were still in business, I would not buy a row boat from them, but we ended up enjoying it for 9 great years, memories I wouldn't trade for anything.

Garypowell

We custom ordered our first unit (SOB) in 1995. They even wanted the dimmensions of our TV so they could build the cabinet correctly. It was a wonderful experience.

Since then then we have always ordered off of dealer stock. This way you know exactly what you are getting.

I do understand the frustration and believe HL could keep a changes log.....something like you see in software when they list what this upgrade has included. Sometimes I don't upgrade unless they are fixing something I want fixed.

I dont think HL or most companies do this to upset their customers it is just called progress but do believe they could set up a system where customers were informed of what has changed.

In in my sales career I have never lost a sales because the product was going to be different than the description. You explain it and everyone accepts it (at least so far) with no hard feelings if they cancel the order.