What's your fav smoker recipe?

ManDak

Bought an electric upright smoker awhile back and have done a bit of meat on it this spring but am excited to get it out to the campsite this summer. What everyone's fav things to do on smoker? Looking for recipes and suggestion. Saw the smoked mac n cheese and can't wait to try it.

jbeletti

I don't smoke very often and don't have any recipes, but something I learned from watching the BBQ shows on TV and use now when making ribs is the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours on the smoke, 2 hours wrapped (with apple juice) and an hour unwrapped (back on the smoker or grill).

The 2 hour wrapped part braises the ribs with moisture (apple juice - diluted) and helps get them real tender. The final hour (I've went less when they were already super-tender), I like to do on the grill and brush the ribs with sauce, then let the heat caramelize the sauce on the ribs - MM good!

Something I made up myself 2 years ago was to smoke a beef chuck roast, bell peppers and jalapeno pepper for about 2 hours for use in making a pot of Chili. While a two hour smoke will not fully cook or tenderize the roast, it adds a whole lot of flavor and makes a GREAT Chili. I then hand-trim the roast and cut into bite size pieces and simmer in water and Chili seasonings for a couple hours until tender before tossing the Chili together. MM good!

DocFather

Bagels, Lox (SMOKED salmon), Cream Cheese and Tomato & Onion and a good Cuban! :p

images

cuban-cigars.jpg

justafordguy

I don't smoke very often and don't have any recipes, but something I learned from watching the BBQ shows on TV and use now when making ribs is the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours on the smoke, 2 hours wrapped (with apple juice) and an hour unwrapped (back on the smoker or grill).

The 2 hour wrapped part braises the ribs with moisture (apple juice - diluted) and helps get them real tender. The final hour (I've went less when they were already super-tender), I like to do on the grill and brush the ribs with sauce, then let the heat caramelize the sauce on the ribs - MM good!

Something I made up myself 2 years ago was to smoke a beef chuck roast, bell peppers and jalapeno pepper for about 2 hours for use in making a pot of Chili. While a two hour smoke will not fully cook or tenderize the roast, it adds a whole lot of flavor and makes a GREAT Chili. I then hand-trim the roast and cut into bite size pieces and simmer in water and Chili seasonings for a couple hours until tender before tossing the Chili together. MM good!

Dang Jim , that smoked Chili idea sounds awesome.:D

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I have had my smoker for about 18 months. It is a RecTec and I love it. My favorite and easy recipe are chicken thighs seasoned with Plowboys Yardbird Rub, put on a frog mat and smoked at 325 degrees for one hour and 10 minutes or until internal temperature is around 170 degrees. Second favorite are baby back ribs using Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. After rub let sit for one hour, cook for 1.5 hours at 225 degrees spraying apple juice on them about every fifteen minute. Wrap in foil adding the BBQ sauce you like to use (we like Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce) but only a small amount one line of sauce on top of the ribs. Put back on smoker and cook another 1.5 hours at 225 Degrees. Take them off and let them sit for about 20 minutes so they cool off but are still warm enough to serve and you are done.[h=1][/h]

jbeletti

Fred - I have this one (Walmart link). Got it from Gander Mountain for $100 but I see it's sold-out there now. It fits upright in the storage bag of the rig. Great little traveling smoker.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Second what others have said about http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

This recipe kills. I smoke it when I'm going to have at least 6-8 people over and need something for one of my racks. Also for potlucks when I have the time (and weather) to smoke something.

Smoked Mac n Cheese

Ingredients:
2 tablespoon butter
2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 onion chopped
1 lb. CoJack cheese
1 lb of Velveeta cheese
8 oz. cream cheese
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup yellow cheddar cheese
2 cups dry elbow macaroni
½ – ¾ sleeve of Ritz Crackers

chicken stock, optional
¼ cup Parmesan optional
6 – 8 slices of cooked chopped bacon, or crumbled

Cook bacon until crispy, set aside. Can also substitute ground chicken.
Boil macaroni 10 minutes in salted water. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter then add milk slowly add the rest of the ingredients with the exception of the Ritz Crackers, Mozzarella cheese and Cheddar Cheese. Cook on very low heat constantly stirring until everything is smooth.
Remove cheese sauce from flame, remove elbow macaroni and drain, transfer to a greased 9” x 13” dish. Stir in the cheese sauce.
Sprinkle a small amount of Bacon on top followed by some cheddar then the Ritz crackers then rest of the cheddar and and mozzarella.
Smoke at 250 for approximately 2 hours or until golden brown and bubbly
To prevent this dish from becoming too brown and crusty, cover with foil if needed.

Directions:

Cook bacon until crispy, set aside. Can also substitute ground chicken.
Boil macaroni 10 minutes in salted water. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter then add milk slowly add the rest of the ingredients with the exception of the Ritz Crackers, Mozzarella cheese and Cheddar Cheese. Cook on very low heat constantly stirring until everything is smooth.
Remove cheese sauce from flame, remove elbow macaroni and drain, transfer to a greased 9” x 13” dish. Stir in the cheese sauce.
Sprinkle a small amount of Bacon on top followed by some cheddar then the Ritz crackers then rest of the cheddar and and mozzarella.
Smoke at 250 for approximately 2 hours or until golden brown and bubbly
To prevent this dish from becoming too brown and crusty, cover with foil if needed.

ManDak

Everything sounds so good and can't wait to try. Anyone do wings or drumsticks? Husbands loves hot wings but wondered how they would turn out in the smoker? Smoke them for a bit, toss in some hot sauce and then return to the smoker - maybe in foil?? Kids love drumsticks so thinking maybe smoke and then finish in BBQ sauce?

ManDak

Winner, winner chicken dinner! Smoked breasts and Sriracha hot wings! Just checked out that smoked meat forum and found the Sriracha hot wings. Going to give them a try next!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is about 1½ years old so I thought it time to resurrect it since lately I have been doing a lot of cooking in my Rec Tec pellet smoker.

Right now I have a bunch of chicken wings and drumsticks seasoned with Rec Tec Greek Rub soaking in buttermilk for the night.
Tomorrow afternoon they will go in the smoker at 225° for about 2 hours then I will crank the heat to 350° and smoke till the internal temp is 190°.

Anybody have a favorite smoker recipe they are willing to share?

Peace
Dave

ALF

Former Georgia Chapter Leaders
This thread is about 1½ years old so I thought it time to resurrect it since lately I have been doing a lot of cooking in my Rec Tec pellet smoker.

Right now I have a bunch of chicken wings and drumsticks seasoned with Rec Tec Greek Rub soaking in buttermilk for the night.
Tomorrow afternoon they will go in the smoker at 225° for about 2 hours then I will crank the heat to 350° and smoke till the internal temp is 190°.

Peace
Dave

248.jpg251.jpg
Hi Dave - smoke your favorite pizza recipe. We smoke our pizza in a wood fired oven. Try it on your rec tec and let me know how it works so when I get mine later this year I will know what to expect.

jbeletti

Peace
Dave

Looking forward to hearing how these came out Dave.