ATF: Edge - driver's side rear tire too close to wheel well molding on M21

tybecca

We have a perplexing issue. We just purchased a used 2010 M21 and love it! The problem is that all of the tires are the same size but the rear tire on the driver's side is almost rouching the side wheel well molding. So much so that I can't get the tire covers on that tire. Just got back from the dealership and they put a new tire on it to replace it. The tire is still WAY close to the molding. A tech came out and measured all of it front to back and side to side and said he felt that that rear axle is about 1/8" longer. They also surmised that it must be that the slide and water heater are on that side so it weighs more and makes the body ride closer to the tire...I asked, "If that's the case, wouldn't it be on BOTH tires and not just the rear?" He said no. That this is the way the factory designed it so it must be right...something is not right but I don't know how to address it. All of the tires are new and I just hope that any bouncing of the camper going down the road doesn't either tear up the molding or tire and cause a blow out. (originally they had a radial installed and I took it back and had them install a bias-ply to match the other 3 tires. The #s match in size and rating...but this rear tire is just too close to the edging.) What should I do? You can see in the photos how close it is. These photos were taken prior to taking it back to the dealership to have them put the bias-ply on in place of the radial...it didn't change anything as far as clearance of the tire and the wheel well.

Attachments

• 2015-05-04 17.25.16.jpg
    2015-05-04 17.25.16.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2015-05-04 17.25.42.jpg
    2015-05-04 17.25.42.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 2015-05-04 17.25.28.jpg
    2015-05-04 17.25.28.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 50
Take a look at the springs. Do the springs on both axles appear to have about the same arc? Also, look at the axles, do they appear to have the same amount of arc (the axles should not be straight).

justafordguy

X3, looks like a spring problem to me. With the trailer level, measure between the axle tube and frame on the front and rear axles and see if the distance is different.

danemayer

Agree you need to check the springs.

I don't remember the details, but I think I remember seeing something about it being a bad idea to have a mix of radial and bias tires.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes Dan, mixing the 2 types of tires can cause screwy things to happen. On cars it can cause front end wobble but dont know what it can cause on a 2 axle trailer.

tybecca

Thanks to all of you who responded. All of the tires are now bia-ply and same size. When I get it on a level surface, I'll check the axles and springs...although the tech at the RV shop did that, measured and said everything "looked fine". I'll check it out for myself next time we go out. Thanks again for your help.

Chumbly

We've had the exact same problem with ours...the axle actually appears to be a fraction of an inch longer. Our dealer was absolutely no help. Their solution was to cut off more of the skirt. The tires eventually did wear off a piece of the skirt. With exacting leveling we were able to barely make it work, but never were completely able to fix the problem.

Rgill

Our M 21 was designed for 205/75/14 width tires that have rubbed the skirts and wore the skirts some. I wanted to change to 225 width but decided not due to the extra width.
Ray

Rgill

Our M 21 was designed for 205/75/14 width tires that have rubbed the skirts and wore the skirts some. I wanted to change to 225 width but decided not due to the extra width.
Ray
Where can I get replacement springs? Perhaps some stronger ones or some way to mount them for more lift?
Thanks,
Ray

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Where can I get replacement springs? Perhaps some stronger ones or some way to mount them for more lift?
Thanks,
Ray

Find a local trailer repair shop . . . they should be able to set you up!

If you were here in Denver I could give you the name of a great shop to do this for you!