Another Blowmax victim

Travis798

Well I wasn't going to post because there are already enough stories out there, but I figure every new thread out there might help someone to decide to not trust these tires and get them changed.

I was 970 miles into an 1050 mile trip, with about 3k total on my towmax tires when one popped on the interstate. I was going downhill, so my speed had picked up to about 62. I had been keeping an eagle eye on them, checking them with every stop I made. I had just left a rest area about 20 miles before the blowout. No bulges, air pressure good, tires were warm like you would expect from highway driving in 85 degree weather but not hot. I was about 80 miles from my destination but all the stories of 2nd blowouts convinced me to limp into the nearest rv park and give the tires a night to calm down. Now it's time to hit the road to finish the last 60 miles and hope the other tires hold out since my spare is in use.

I think I got lucky and the damage is limited to one piece of skirting, but I can't be sure until I have someone that knows what to look for look at it.

danemayer

If "limp" means you drove 20 miles before putting on a spare, the other tire on that side is probably damaged from carrying all the weight. It's very likely to blow in the near future.

justafordguy

Sorry to hear about your blowout, be careful getting to camp. I know I don't need to tell you this now but get those tires off there ASAP.;)

Mullins

Well, I'M also another "Blowmaxx victim, (STR 235/80/r16 Power King) coming back from our camping trip this past Sunday, going about 40 MPH entering an on ramp onto I-80 East and about 45 miles from home. The tire,what's left of it is still on the highway, and not sure if the wheel is reusable (yet TBD) and some damage to kitchen slide out. Contacted Towmax, no reply as of yet, contacted Heartland, they put me in contact with Dynamic tire for possible recourse, again, no reply, big surprise there!! When I spoke with the Heartland Rep. regarding the dicontinuing of the tomaxx, he politely, the best he could said that he has not heard any bad reports that the tomaxx is a crappy tire, go figure! and that Heartland will not be discontinuing the tomaxx on any of their RVs. I'll be looking at the Sailun or the GY 614. pricey, yes, overkill; maybe, but my RV will not leave my property with crap tires it currently has!

Jimsryker

After having experienced blow outs on my old 5er, I decided to go straight to quality tires when I bought my Cyclone. It doesn't take long to see the danger of Blowmaxx tires when you read this forum. I quickly put 5 Goodyear G614's on my 3010. What I noted was the weight of the Goodyears vs. the Powermaxx. You can really feel that cheap quality in the light, floppy feel of those Blowmaxx tires. I knew then I'd made the right decision. Repairs from a blow out negate the cost of good tires.

DocFather

After having experienced blow outs on my old 5er, I decided to go straight to quality tires when I bought my Cyclone. It doesn't take long to see the danger of Blowmaxx tires when you read this forum. I quickly put 5 Goodyear G614's on my 3010. What I noted was the weight of the Goodyears vs. the Powermaxx. You can really feel that cheap quality in the light, floppy feel of those Blowmaxx tires. I knew then I'd made the right decision. Repairs from a blow out negate the cost of good tires.

Excellent post. Thanks

scottyb

Travis, sorry you had to endure this. I guess it goes without saying, to get those tires off as soon as possible. Sell them to a contractor for his utility trailer. I was another lucky one that discovered their reputation, from this website, and made the change when we brought the Cyclone home.

Miltp920

Based on what I have read on this forum, you might need what is left of that tire to get any refund that might be out there. see what others think, but you may want to go get the"remains".

Well, I'M also another "Blowmaxx victim, (STR 235/80/r16 Power King) coming back from our camping trip this past Sunday, going about 40 MPH entering an on ramp onto I-80 East and about 45 miles from home. The tire,what's left of it is still on the highway, and not sure if the wheel is reusable (yet TBD) and some damage to kitchen slide out. Contacted Towmax, no reply as of yet, contacted Heartland, they put me in contact with Dynamic tire for possible recourse, again, no reply, big surprise there!! When I spoke with the Heartland Rep. regarding the dicontinuing of the tomaxx, he politely, the best he could said that he has not heard any bad reports that the tomaxx is a crappy tire, go figure! and that Heartland will not be discontinuing the tomaxx on any of their RVs. I'll be looking at the Sailun or the GY 614. pricey, yes, overkill; maybe, but my RV will not leave my property with crap tires it currently has!

ADIRKS30

Another towmax victim here. Lot of posts on here saying there is a problem, you would think Heartland would catch on. I check tire pressure before every trip and inspect tires at every stop they checked out fine every time. Was just stopping for a break, pulled into a parking lot, and, boom!

danemayer

Another towmax victim here. Lot of posts on here saying there is a problem, you would think Heartland would catch on.

Heartland is shipping Sailuns in place of Towmax on some models now, so it looks like they've heard owners.

The part we don't know is what the schedule might be for the rest of the product line. It's just my guess, but I suspect there might be contractual issues constraining how fast they can change.

Last edited:

Mullins

Shock! Towmaxx Contacted me and ask for information regarding the blowout. She let me know that Dynamic Tire, (The Heartbeat of the Towmaxx) will be in touch, they will ask for photos, etc.. and they will request the tire be sent back to them(what's left of it); (their expense) I am also told to keep all receipts and that I will be reimbursed; yet to be seen, but keeping positive. My insurance will make it good, but if I am compensated through Dynamic Tire, I will payback the insurance Co. And the Saga continues.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our new 2015 Heartland Prowler P292 that we will be picking up next week has the BlowMax tires on it.

I've already told the dealership that it will not be leaving with those tires on it.

I just put new tires and wheels on our current 2013 Heartland trailer last week and they will be swapped out and the BlowMax's put on the current trailer for the trade in.

ProwlerOnLot-P5160719.jpg ProwlerOnLot-P5160728.jpg

Travis798

I just wanted to take a minute to update. I don't think there is a lot of damage but I won't know until I get back home to Oklahoma, which could be a while. It doesn't look like there was really any damage to the floor, minus some coating that been scraped off part of it. Heartland had apparently planned for blowouts and added a thin sheet of metal above the tires to the floor, which probably helped a lot, except the metal doesn't go back quite far enough.

It's interesting to me that the electric part of my hot water heater quit working after the blowout, but it has to be coincidence as the water tank is on the other side of the trailer.

At any rate, the trailer is now riding on Goodyear G614 tires. Hopefully I won't have to worry about tires for a while now, but my brakes may be a different story after the 11% grade I went down the other day before parking the camper.....

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just wanted to take a minute to update. I don't think there is a lot of damage but I won't know until I get back home to Oklahoma, which could be a while. It doesn't look like there was really any damage to the floor, minus some coating that been scraped off part of it. Heartland had apparently planned for blowouts and added a thin sheet of metal above the tires to the floor, which probably helped a lot, except the metal doesn't go back quite far enough.

It's interesting to me that the electric part of my hot water heater quit working after the blowout, but it has to be coincidence as the water tank is on the other side of the trailer.

At any rate, the trailer is now riding on Goodyear G614 tires. Hopefully I won't have to worry about tires for a while now, but my brakes may be a different story after the 11% grade I went down the other day before parking the camper.....

Glad you got fixed up. What rig do you have? Did you verify the wheels can handle the upgraded 110psi tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullins

Shock! Towmaxx Contacted me and ask for information regarding the blowout. She let me know that Dynamic Tire, (The Heartbeat of the Towmaxx) will be in touch, they will ask for photos, etc.. and they will request the tire be sent back to them(what's left of it); (their expense) I am also told to keep all receipts and that I will be reimbursed; yet to be seen, but keeping positive. My insurance will make it good, but if I am compensated through Dynamic Tire, I will payback the insurance Co. And the Saga continues.

Well, Dynamic Tire contacted me yesterday, with a claim number and said that they will send UPS out on Tuesday to pick up the tire and send it back to Canada. He did not want any photos. just the tire. He said that Engineers will examine the tire to determine what happened, when I ask if the folks that are inspecting the tire; are they independent; unfortunately, they are not, they are in-house, employees of Dynamic Tire; here is my shocked face:mad:!! Go figure, right!. It takes about 6 weeks to get back to me with their findings and recommendations. Can't wait!! Not losing sleep over it either.. My new tires are GY614, just put them on this morning. Again, the saga continues.