Potential BC buyer

65aircooled

Hi all,
we just sold our 30' bumper pull. We bought the largest trailer we could pull with the TV we had then, but then work needs changed and we had to upgrade the TV (dual function work/play) so now we have decided to upgrade to a 5er for better towability and room.
We have looked at two 33 and 34' BH trailers, 2007 Sikverback and a 2008 Everest. But I found a similar price 2008 Heartland Big Country about 100 miles from home. I have made an offer on it and am waiting on a response from the owner to come see it. Privately owned, it has been on a seasonal lot it's entire life which is one of my concerns.
Being new to the brand, I'd like to know what common issues are and what you as owners would advice to pay special attention to during the inspection, as well as any other advice you may have.

The pictures I got look great, but I know pictures can lie and deceive.
Thank you all in advance for your help!!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello 65aircooled and welcome to this great forum.
Since you already own an RV you will probably know most things to look for.
If this rig has been on a seasonal site for its entire life the main things I would be looking at is the running gear.
Tires, even though they have good thread, should be replaced.
The brake drums may be very rusty and may be fused to the shoes.
Bearings inspected, cleaned and repacked.
Those are the things I would be most concerned about.

Peace
Dave

65aircooled

Thanks Dave,
I figured the tires will need to be replaced to be safe, good call on bearings. I believe the trailer is no longer on a site, it is at a storage place. The offer has been accepted, but I probably won't be taking a trip there until next week due to the holidays.
One thing my wife and I are not liking and just realized is that there is no door dividing the master bedroom... guess not a deal breaker but it is something we definitely want, and may be able to alter as well. I realize that if the privacy curtain is replaced by a door, the swing of the door will block the two narrow windows on the hallway which to me would be ok. I'd still rather have the door.
I have read on here that these trailers tow well with short bed trucks due to the design of the front cap and the turning radius is great. I am still inclined to buy an Andresen Ultimate hitch to work with my existing turnover ball (goose neck) I don't want to deal with the weight of the 5th wheel hitches, so I'd rather not have one if I don't need it.

Hopefully by next week I'll have the Big Country parked on our property:cool:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
X 2 on all the caulking. Any water intrusion can do real damage. Before you lay down any $$$$. Get on the roof and look for any open areas in the caulking, look down the sides for a delamination of the side walls. This coach is at least 7 or 8 years old. JMHO

65aircooled

Thank you all for the replies. We finally agreed on a price and it looks like we'll be picking it up next Saturday (a week from today) We are very excited about it and hope to keep and enjoy this new to us trailer for years to come. I will post pictures when we get it.

caissiel

Remove a few screws on the trim pieces. If they show rust there is water going in. I had to rebuild my back and front of my 09 this year. But I did find rusted screws earlier at around 2 year old and could not see any exterior damage. But after striping to repair I found out that strip putty was seldom used and moisture got in by the screw holes.