Lug nut replacement

MTPockets

The lug nuts on our 2012 Big Horn, 7000 lb Dexter axles, have been removed to replace a flat tire, replaced two valve stems, and on occasion re-torqued. The original nuts are steel but have a thin, sheet metal chromed cover. A couple months ago when Discount Tire replaced a couple valve stems, the tech pointed out the nut covers we're starting to deform from the air drivers used to remove and a couple had cracked covers. He recommended replacing with solid lug nuts. I found the correct size on Amazon.com and ordered 32 nuts for a total cost including shipping, for about $38. These appear to be good quality and had good reviews. Not all brands had good reviews regarding rust and chrome chipping off. Here is a picture of the old and new: notice the crack in the old nut... FYI.
attachment.php

JanAndBill

FYI there is a torque requirement on aluminum rims that is way under what most good air impact wrenches are capable of. Over tightening lug nuts can cause the aluminum wheel to fail.

MTPockets

FYI there is a torque requirement on aluminum rims that is way under what most good air impact wrenches are capable of. Over tightening lug nuts can cause the aluminum wheel to fail.
Yep, I always make sure any shop uses a torque wrench when installing, then I re-torque soon after... I've found Discount Tire to be a responsible installer and pretty good at proper torque and installation.

MagnoliaTom

The lug nuts on our 2012 Big Horn, 7000 lb Dexter axles, have been removed to replace a flat tire, replaced two valve stems, and on occasion re-torqued. The original nuts are steel but have a thin, sheet metal chromed cover. A couple months ago when Discount Tire replaced a couple valve stems, the tech pointed out the nut covers we're starting to deform from the air drivers used to remove and a couple had cracked covers. He recommended replacing with solid lug nuts. I found the correct size on Amazon.com and ordered 32 nuts for a total cost including shipping, for about $38. These appear to be good quality and had good reviews. Not all brands had good reviews regarding rust and chrome chipping off. Here is a picture of the old and new: notice the crack in the old nut... FYI.
attachment.php
How did you find out which size to order? I need to do the same for my Elkridge. Just uncertain as to the size of the lug nuts. I have eight lugs on Dexter 7K axles.

MTPockets

How did you find out which size to order? I need to do the same for my Elkridge. Just uncertain as to the size of the lug nuts. I have eight lugs on Dexter 7K axles.
I stopped at an O'Rileys auto parts store first and took with me one of the lug nuts. They had a lug nut stud display so I could determine my thread size. Mine was 9/16-18 threads. They didn't have the nuts, nor could they find my size in their catalog, so I left. I then measured the hex nut size (7/8") and overall length (1.9"). With the thread size, hex nut, and length, I searched Amazon and found a supplier with my size.

MagnoliaTom

I stopped at an O'Rileys auto parts store first and took with me one of the lug nuts. They had a lug nut stud display so I could determine my thread size. Mine was 9/16-18 threads. They didn't have the nuts, nor could they find my size in their catalog, so I left. I then measured the hex nut size (7/8") and overall length (1.9"). With the thread size, hex nut, and length, I searched Amazon and found a supplier with my size.

Thanks. I'll do the same

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I bought 32 solid chrome replacements from NAPA. Just took one in and we determined the correct size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk