Roof-Mounted Kayaks on 5er

brlr2000

We have 2 Kayaks (about 10 ft long) and I'm considering mounting them on the roof of our Fifth Wheel (2014 Gateway 3500RE). I plan on putting them near the rear of the roof, as it is lower. I'm thinking of mounting a couple of aluminum rails (1-1/2" sq tubing) horizontally across the roof. Since the roof is somewhat rounded, I need to mount some shorter 'spacers' at each end of the rail. Similar to this article http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23960600/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm
I believe my roof uses aluminum trusses and studs. What is the best way to secure something to these aluminum trusses? SS Screws, Tapped threads and SS bolts,??

Owenfamily

I would not mount anything on top of the roof. You can buy yourself some Yakima bars for the top of your truck. I have this setup and it works great. I carry a small three foot ladder to help me load them by myself and to unload them as well. It does not mess with the fifth at any point and I can keep in eye on them. I carry 2 10 f long kayaks as well.

Oregon_Camper

I would not mount anything on top of the roof. You can buy yourself some Yakima bars for the top of your truck. I have this setup and it works great. I carry a small three foot ladder to help me load them by myself and to unload them as well. It does not mess with the fifth at any point and I can keep in eye on them. I carry 2 10 f long kayaks as well.

Picture?

brlr2000

There is quite a bit of stuff already mounted on top (A/C, Vents, Antenna, etc.), so I'm not really concerned about leaks. I will be using Dicor to seal all the screw holes. As far as weight on the roof, I'm not concerned about that because it will be spread over a large area. I know that lots of folks mount solar panel arrays on the roof, and they are large and flat. If the wind doesn't bother them, I don't suspect the wind would bother the kayaks. They're pretty streamlined. I spent less than $500 for both kayaks, but I really don't want to spend $1,000+ on a rack for the truck. From what I've read they need to have a rack for the roof of the truck...and a T-bar upright in the front of the truck. As we are full-time RVers, I would rather have the kayaks out of the way (on the 5er). Is there any reason(s) WHY I shouldn't consider mounting them on the RV Roof?

SilverRhino

I am assuming that you have carefully measured the height of your rig when attached to truck and the extra that the kayaks will add. :confused:

brlr2000

It's only about an inch higher than the rear a/c cover. And I have a front A/C unit, which is higher. So,I think I'm ok. It looks like the roof trusses are aluminum, covered with 3/8" OSB, so I think I can secure it nicely with 1" or 1-1/2" screws. What do you think about that?

scottyb

I don't think there would be any harm in mounting some rails on the roof, if done so properly and w/o raising the overall height. We know the roof is strong enough to walk on, and support AC units. Be sure to post pictures when you are done.

ucwinters

I used Thule roof racks on my truck when we were pulling our 5th wheel (and still using them w/ the travel trailer) - probably spent <$350 for the set-up. Like David said, easy to keep an eye on the kayaks since they're mounted on the truck's roof. My yaks are 14 ft long and as long as the racks were mounted on the cab in the most forward position, no issue w/ clearance when pulling the 5th wheel.

Oregon_Camper

I used Thule roof racks on my truck when we were pulling our 5th wheel (and still using them w/ the travel trailer) - probably spent <$350 for the set-up. Like David said, easy to keep an eye on the kayaks since they're mounted on the truck's roof. My yaks are 14 ft long and as long as the racks were mounted on the cab in the most forward position, no issue w/ clearance when pulling the 5th wheel.

did you have a bar supporting them from the front of the truck or just the 2 bars on the cab? Any chance you have a picture?

JanAndBill

I had the bright idea to put a satellite dish mount on the top of the rear ladder. Good idea, but impractical when I went to aim the dish, as I had to hold on with one arm and try to adjust, and tighten bolts with the other hand. While the Kayaks are light, they are bulky and trying to get them on and off the roof I would think would be a pain. I've wondered if it would be possible to somehow mount them vertically on the back.

brlr2000

I already practiced getting them on the roof. It really wasn't much of a problem. I did it on a windy day...just to see. I clipped a strap to the top handle, then stood it upright. The wife balanced it, while I climbed to the roof. Then I pulled it straight up the ladder, and over onto the roof. Easy. I did see pictures of vertical mounts, but I already have two bicycles back there. I don't think I want an extra hundred pounds bouncing on the back bumper, so I think I'm going to stick with the roof mount idea.

JanAndBill

I already practiced getting them on the roof. It really wasn't much of a problem. I did it on a windy day...just to see. I clipped a strap to the top handle, then stood it upright. The wife balanced it, while I climbed to the roof. Then I pulled it straight up the ladder, and over onto the roof. Easy. I did see pictures of vertical mounts, but I already have two bicycles back there. I don't think I want an extra hundred pounds bouncing on the back bumper, so I think I'm going to stick with the roof mount idea.

The other thing, I forgot to mention about the access ladder, is the ladder mounting brackets/standoffs are not very good. I'm a little over 200# and mine are already pulling away. I have to block up under the ladder now for fear it will fail completely. I've looked at several others, including a new Landmark and it appears they all have the same problem. Would highly suggest you use a step ladder as opposed to the coach ladder, if you do this.

brlr2000

I found many of the screws were loose shortly after purchase, so I tightened them. So far, they area all holding OK.

Mrsfish

I'm stealing this picture from my friends bob and Kim Dance (Bkdance). This is how they travel everywhere as they are full timers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 127

caissiel

I had a 16ft and a 8ft kayaks on the last SOB unit. Used it for over 5 years. Present unit is to tall and now the 16ft fits on the truck and is a great air deflector saving on fuel.
The 8 ft fits sideways under the frame just behind the trailer wheels.

It worked well on the roof, but still needed a carrier for the truck. So now the 16ft kayaks is forward to the front bumper when towing and further back when not towing and easier to load. I do use a single poll up front that does not interfere with vision. Shorter units to me would not be the same and need some planning.
When well planned anything is possible.

brlr2000

Here is what I came up with. I used Strut Channel for the framing members. Less than $200 for all parts.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• kayaks on roof2.jpg
    kayaks on roof2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 177
  • kayaks on roof.jpg
    kayaks on roof.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 178