Fuel transfer pump issues

captpfd

Fuel pump refuses to work when it gets hot outside. Works fine in the cooler mornings. Any ideas.

scottyb

I'm not sure what your issue is or how old your pump is. There was an issue with the impeller swelling and binding, causing it to blow fuses, due to methanol content in fuel. The pump manufacturer sent me a new set, free of charge. That was the last problem I had with it.

captpfd

Graco fuel transfer pump issue

My Heartland toyhauler uses a Graco brand fuel transfer pump. I have made lots of calls so far but no real help from Graco. Here's the problem. The pump works fine in the mornings when the temps outside are cooler, but when it gets hot outside, say 85> the pump won't turn on. I think it is an electrical issue. Maybe someone out their has had a similar issue and can give some input. BTW, the local Dallas distributor says they will sell me a new one for $412.00 How convenient!

KAB

Re: Graco fuel transfer pump issue

I had the same problem on my previous Eclipse Toy Hauler. The plastic impellers swell up in the heat and binds the pump where you don't think it is turning on. That happened to me in the Borrego desert in summer. When I got home to the coast and tried it in the morning it worked. So I thought it was fine. Went back out again in the heat, nothing. Tried to remove the impellers and sand them down but that is a delicate process to get it right. So, had to buy a new pump. That one went down to. The third pump seemed to last, but I started to add fuel stabilizer so I think that may have helped. Do a google search on toy hauler fuel transfer pumps and you'll see it is a common problem. I have only used the pump on my new cyclone and it is a different design so we'll see what happens.

captpfd

Thanks for the information. Sounds like a bad design. I guess those engineers forgot about heat when they were doing their testing. Maybe I can find a solution as I am not buying a new one at $375.oo.

ray587

I have the same problem. I just use a wrench and back the bolts off a little on the impeller case and it works just fine. it only takes a little bit and doesn't leak.just remember to tighten back up.