Need help buying a new hitch.

ZNK

Its been awhile since I posted here... But I just traded in my old North Trail for a Road Warrior :) I need a fifth wheel hitch now. My dad (2psnapod2) swears by Reese or Curt. But how do I know which one I need? I bought the 2015 Road Warrior 415. Thanks for any help.

Kosanko

What type of truck are you using as a TV? Because most new trucks have a 5th wheel prep kit from the factory and I know Reese is Fords preferred hitch

EPaulikonis

GVWR at 20K....if you're looking to Reese, I'd go with the Reese Elite in the 25K range or higher. Buying something right at the 20K limit isn't wise despite the engineering margin that's already designed into the product. Same for Curt, but I'm not familiar with the specific models they carry.

I have a PullRite ISR Pro Series 20K and love it. Sturdy and simple to operate. A Reese owner towing a 43' TH mentioned how much beefier the ISR series hitch appeared to be compared to his Reese. PullRite also carries a 24K Pro Series hitch that would be appropriate for your application.

mmomega

AnyTimer
1st you want to identify the GVWR which should be the MAX amount your trailer should ever weigh fully loaded.
Then you want a hitch rated for a higher weight rating.

Example my trailer has a GVWR of just over 16,000lbs so my hitch is rated for 18,000lbs.

I currently have Reese in my truck now and I like the fact that it can't be removed fairly easy by one person as it breaks down into 2 pieces.
I also have a PullRite SuperGlide 24k (I bought this when I was towing a 46' ToyHauler prior to my Landmark) which doesn't break down and it weighs over 240 lbs and one person isn't going to move this beast without help from some kind of lift.
The SuperGlide is great for a shortbed truck because when you make a turn the hitch will slide back somewhere between a foot to 18 inches to insure the front cap of the trailer does not hit the back of your truck cab.
You don't need a sliding hitch if you have a long bed truck because you already have an extra 18 inches of bed space in front of where the hitch mounts to the truck so you wouldn't 'need' a sliding hitch.
The SuperGlide also have to have a specialized plate installed on to the pin box of the trailer to make the hitch work. If you decide to go that route just google search 'PullRite Capture Plate' and that should give you the info you need to figure out which plate you would need for the particular inbox on your trailer.

If your truck came prepped for a 5th wheel hitch then the Reese Elite Series Hitches install directly into the mount holes, these are the hitches Ford would sell you if you bought the 5th wheel prep and a hitch straight from them.
There are also a few other brand that have fitted their hitches to this mount as well, I'm not as familiar with them but I'm sure others may chime in with some info.

Reese also makes an Elite Series hitch rated up to 26.5k

ZNK

I have a 2014 Ford F350 Long bed with the ford prep package. Im leaning towards the Reese Elite. Now my question is on the weight. As I understand the weight rating is based off of the total weight of the camper. Dry it is about 14,000k pounds. Shouldnt an 18K hitch suffice? Am I going to add 4,000 pounds to it?

EPaulikonis

Brochure dry weight is 14K...the one you actually buy will probably be much heavier as the factory always quotes bare bones rig for marketing dry weight. GVWR for the rig you mentioned is 20K and it will have a pin weight somewhere in the 4K range. If you don't go with the GVWR and add some margin, you'll be back at the store in no time buying a new hitch.

I have a 2014 Ford F350 Long bed with the ford prep package. Im leaning towards the Reese Elite. Now my question is on the weight. As I understand the weight rating is based off of the total weight of the camper. Dry it is about 14,000k pounds. Shouldnt an 18K hitch suffice? Am I going to add 4,000 pounds to it?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Get a hitch rated for more than 20K. You did not say if your 350 is a DRW or not. I would recommend a DRW with that heavy of a 5er. All the weight rating should figured at the GVWR not the empty weight. That's the biggest mistake people make when buying a truck and heavy 5er.

Suggest anyone with a Ford or Dodge factory hitch package consider a B & W Companion. These hitches are a little cheaper and, in my opinion, better built than alternatives (Reese). Etrailer.com is a good place to shop for any of these brands. Also, you might wish to search for B&W Companion hitch on this website for other comments concerning hitches.

mmomega

AnyTimer

Typically you'll want a hitch rated about the GVWR of the trailer. This is more for the " just in case " moments.
It is surprising how quickly you can add weight to an RV.
If all water and holding tanks are full, if you have a generator added + fuel. Clothes, chairs, satellite, etc etc the list goes on and everything contributes weight so getting a hitch just above your GVWR would be the smartest place to go.

IMHO, it's better to plan for a worst case scenario. You don't want to have an accident and your hitch isn't rated for your trailer.

ZNK

I have decided on a Reese 25K Elite that just drops in. Main reason I went for it, the dealer had it used and I got 80% of it included in my deal. Cant beat it for $250 cash. Thanks for all the input.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have decided on a Reese 25K Elite that just drops in. Main reason I went for it, the dealer had it used and I got 80% of it included in my deal. Cant beat it for $250 cash. Thanks for all the input.

We got a Reese 16K Pro Slider hitch thrown in with the deal on our new Prowler three weeks ago . . .

Our Prowler is not as big and heavy as the Road Warriors or Big Horns, and the 16K is more than enough hitch for it.

Attachments

• NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg
    NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 30

rayk4e

We have the Road Warrior 415 and a 2013 Ford F-350 DRW 8' bed with factory hitch prep kit. I went with the Curt Q24 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch with Ford OEM Legs (part# C16545-16017) hitch and LOVE it. Easy to install/remove, ultra strong (24K), and very easy to use and maintain. Best of all I don't really experience the chucking everyone else with the standard Lippert pinbox (no airbags, shocks, etc.) seems to complain about. I was ready to buy a Lippert FlexAir similar pinbox at the same time but decided to wait to see how the setup I have works. Glad I did!

Kosanko

I've been thinking about the new 20K goosebox by Reese. Keeps the bed clear when you need it for work.

http://www.reeseprod.com/products/pin-boxes/goose-box/goose-box/Jsbr87GrqXnapVUQgaaYyqOMivlF4Kt9

[Jeff,,let me know how you like the goosebox!! I am considering one when I upgrade to a new Sundance.....]

Garry, I installed the Reese Goosebox with the upgraded twin shocks and air bag, and so far so good it really smoothes the ride out on rough highway transitions where I previously had chucking

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you have a turnover ball already, I recommend the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. It has a shaft that drops into the turnover ball location. Does take two folks to lift the frame out to remove it cause it's a 20k hitch, but leaves a nice clean bed. Takes about 10 min to reinstall. It's been a lifesaver for our move out of the house... Making fully loaded trips to storage and the auction barn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Garry, I installed the Reese Goosebox with the upgraded twin shocks and air bag, and so far so good it really smoothes the ride out on rough highway transitions where I previously had chucking
Mark, Michelle said you put the goosebox on...Happy it's working out. I am about 80% heading that way as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

[Mark, Michelle said you put the goosebox on...Happy it's working out. I am about 80% heading that way as well.]

Hey Garry . . . looks like I'll need to do another tutoral on the 'quote' system! :eek:

Kosanko

Garry, did you order the 3500 with the bed delete option so you can put a hauler bed on the truck? I will say I have lots more usable bed space without the big 5th Wheel hitch occupying the bed. The only pain was swapping the standard pin box out for the Reese Goose Box, it weight around 180# and needed tongues to 210# of torque.