What type of dishes, glass or plastic?

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
I got a question for you. We had a rear kitchen 5er, and now we are going to buy the 3055 5er. What type of dishes do you recommend? I'm not used to a rear LR, so I always packed plastic. If you say Corelle is good, how do you pack it in the cabinets? Can I expect breakage?:confused:

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
I have stoneware,,, pack it with rubber sheeting and loose in between the dishes in the cupboards and never had anything break. I also use that rubber stuff to leave all my appliances on the counter when we move around and nothing ever moves,,, watch for top heavy stuff though,,, Lizzy

sjrellis

I use Correlle. I just packed it up for our 1st move (with breakable dishes). I did not leave any glass stuff in the cabinets.

ct0218

We also use Corelle, with a mix of glass and plastic for other items. Over the years we have pretty much eliminated heavy glass items such as mixing bowls, measuring cups, etc., except for a Corning dish. Less weight to haul around, less stress on cabinets bouncing down the road. We cleared out even more last week--if it hasn't been used in the last year, it's no longer there. We gained some space, and the Landmark lost some weight.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Glass or plastic?

Thanks everyone. Looks like it will be Corelle. I've already purchased some plastic glasses. Just need new flatware and I was hoping I didn't have to buy any coffee cups with the set, but I think that's the way the set comes. Appreciate your advice. Getting excited.........:D

sjrellis

I didn't want the cups with my Correlle, either, but that was the best value. I saw one set that had lids for the cereal/salad bowls. I didn't think too much about it, but I have used those lids so many times on the bowls. So, you might look for them. I was at a factory store a few weeks ago and bought a few additional pieces. I compared the price of seperate plates to the cost at Walmart, and Walmart is cheaper! But you can get matching serving pieces at the factory stores.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
"Attention K-Mart Shoppers"...kinda says it all, don't it?

Whatever is the cheapest. I lose to many.

Princess Kathleen

We have a mixture of Corell, plastic, tin, and that new rubber stuff.....I gave up my cast iron...and stoneware...but I do have baking dishes, bowls, and measuring cups I have not packed or wrapped anything to travel....nothing has broken in travel, but DH has dropped several coffee cups, but they were all replaceable.

PK

Paul & Nan

I have kept Corelle in the rig for years, never a problem, except when I dropped some on cement. Made divided box things from plastic canvas for the cups and glasses, they ride well and stay better organized. Be glad to show anyone at the rally in June. Nan

snuffy

We use Corelle plates and cups but use plastic cups and paper bowls. We only use the Corelle plates for steaks, pork chops, and ribs, then paper plates for everything else. We just stack the plates in the cabinets and have never had anything to break.

racermom

I love my corelle. Our set came with the glass coffee mugs as well. All I have put down is the thick gripping shelving liners and everything stays in place, nothing in between. For the coffee mugs, I keep a small gap between them just so they don't touch.

Many of our trips take us off roading (dirt bike racing family) so we are always going over rough terrain, and never once has anything ever shifted in my cabinets. (I am knocking on wood as I type this) :)

sidney dreyfus

Securing glasses and dishes while traveling?

Interested in hearing everyones idea on how to secure dishes, glasses, and mugs while underway.

kognito

We have a set of nice, wineglasses that we wanted to keep with us while we travel.

When we are on the move we put a glass inside an old (clean!) sock.

Haven't lost one yet!

Our regular stuff is corelle

Muddy

We use Corelle and store on non slip material and turn the cups upside down for a wider base. Never had anything move. We leave the coffee pot on a pot holder and it doesn't move either (center kitchen). We repack our wine glasses in the box they came in.

Draco Dog

We also use Corelle. There are so many pretty designs today. I keep the coffee cups, but only use them for company. Hubby and I have our special coffee mugs. I also have extra small bowls and serving bowls. They are light weight and they are happy in the micro-wave. I have never had any breakage. We use the rubber non-skid on the bottom of the shelves. I also have 4 juice glasses and 4 water glasses, all glass, and have never had any breakage. I have always put things away b4 traveling; such as the toaster, coffee pot, etc. Do you think I don't need to be doing that????? You are all so helpful. Thanks.

phranc

Yes, we also use the rubber non slip shelf liners..We have melamine plates and bowls. Almost nonbreakable so we just stack one plate on top of another..Nothing shifts.