ATF: Gateway - 2015 3750PT Plumbing Question

sonoftwo

Is our kitchen sink supposed to drain into our rear black tank? We have two gray tanks but the the second one is never full and we are having to empty our rear black tank every other day due to the kitchen sink filling it up. Just wondering if this was how it was designed or is there a fix to make the kitchen sink drain into the second gray tank. Thanks for your help.

jimtoo

Hi sonoftwo,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm some of our other members will jump in soon with some info for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi sonoftwo,

Looking at your floorplan, I would expect the front shower and sink to drain into gray #1 and the main galley sink would drain into gray #2. The front toilet would drain into the front black tank. The rear toilet and sink probably both drain into the rear black tank.

If you get a twist-on clear adapter to put on the end of your sewer outlet, you could open just the gray #2 valve and run the kitchen sink faucet to see if water comes out. If no water, and the rear black tank is clean, you could open that valve and run the kitchen sink to see if water comes out.

If you find that the kitchen sink is actually draining into the rear black tank, I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

justafordguy

On our Gateway the kitchen sink goes into the 2nd gray tank. Have you used the second toilet? Does it come out of the 2nd gray? I wonder if the back two tank handles are labeled backwards.

Along

My husband and I are new owners of the 2015 3750PT. We are having the same issue with our kitchen sink filling up our rear black tank as well. Another issue we are dealing with is the fact that we have a sensor to check the gray tank #2 but are unable to locate the valve to open the gray tank # 2. The only valves that we see are for the Gray tank # 1 and two waste water tanks. Can someone please tell me where the gray tank # 2 valve is located?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My husband and I are new owners of the 2015 3750PT. We are having the same issue with our kitchen sink filling up our rear black tank as well. Another issue we are dealing with is the fact that we have a sensor to check the gray tank #2 but are unable to locate the valve to open the gray tank # 2. The only valves that we see are for the Gray tank # 1 and two waste water tanks. Can someone please tell me where the gray tank # 2 valve is located?

Not sure where the gray 2 lever is located but I am just wondering why the dealer did not show you where that was when you did the pre-delivery walk-through.

Hello! I clicked on this thread because I was having the same issue or question rather. I'm beginning to think the kitchen sink, rear restroom sink, and rear toilet empty into one tank and have one valve that drains it which is in the rear of the RV. However, there are two indicators. A #2 gray tank indicator on the main panel and a waste indicator in the rear restroom (for convenience I'm guessing). Can anyone confirm this? Thank you for your help, I'm new to fulltime RV living!

coram8

Our 2015 3750PT has the same set up. It has the gauge for Gray tank #1 and Gray Tank #2, and black tank on the front panel and a separate gauge in the rear bathroom that is just the rear black tank. We do not actually have a gray tank #2. (I guess the gauge that says Gray tank #2 is simply because they use the same gauge panel for different models.) Outside we have the gray and black tank valves in the front and only a black tank valve on the rear.

Bones

The 3750PT is basically a version of the 3650 BH. The bathrooms are all in the same places. You should have two tanks up front and two tanks in the back. The rear bathroom sink and kitchen sink should drain into the rear gray tank. The toilet should drain to the black tank. The rear gray tank is the tank that hangs down underneath the belly and a smaller pipe about 1.5 inches PVC is your gray tank line. These two lines should be connected together at one point where black is on the left and gray is on the right when you are looking at the outlet.

IMG_20150913_125054.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

On second thought I checked the specs and the BH is listed as having 80 gallons of Gray and the PT is only listed as having 40. If this is the case it is quite possible that the sink would drain into the rear black tank.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The toilet should drain to the black tank. The rear gray tank is the tank that hangs down underneath the belly and a smaller pipe about 1.5 inches PVC is your gray tank line. These two lines should be connected together at one point where black is on the left and gray is on the right when you are looking at the outlet.

This might show the two different size pipe coming together to the drain valves:

ProwlerDrainCap-P3290012.jpg

Black tank is the bigger pipe coming in from the left, gray tank coming from the right.

I've added a Valterra Safety Gate (drain handle in the middle) as I almost got the 'Stinky Shoe' once . . .

BoriLoco

Hello! I clicked on this thread because I was having the same issue or question rather. I'm beginning to think the kitchen sink, rear restroom sink, and rear toilet empty into one tank and have one valve that drains it which is in the rear of the RV. However, there are two indicators. A #2 gray tank indicator on the main panel and a waste indicator in the rear restroom (for convenience I'm guessing). Can anyone confirm this? Thank you for your help, I'm new to fulltime RV living!

Our 2015 3750PT has the same set up. It has the gauge for Gray tank #1 and Gray Tank #2, and black tank on the front panel and a separate gauge in the rear bathroom that is just the rear black tank. We do not actually have a gray tank #2. (I guess the gauge that says Gray tank #2 is simply because they use the same gauge panel for different models.) Outside we have the gray and black tank valves in the front and only a black tank valve on the rear.
Just had my 2017 Gateway 3700 PTB delivered last week and am realizing the same thing today. The top two quotes describe the issue perfectly. Kitchen sink and rear BR sink (grey) dump into my rear black tank. Fills up daily. The last quote describes the situation perfectly. Grey tank #2 missing, obvious by the lack of a second grey valve, but indicator is working, though always empty.

My conclusion from reading threads in this forum are 1) this happens frequently by heartland, 2) it's as if they wanted to skimp and short me a NEEDED second grey tank and left me dealing with a plumbing nightmare. What do I do? Get in the habit of having to dump it every night? Or leave it open and remember to flush it out every night?

Really Heartland???

With this floor plan there should have been a second grey tank for the rear sinks installed. I have never heard of plumbing grey (kitchen no less) water into a 'smaller' black tank. With 3 people living in the unit the sink gets used throughout the day. Now what? We have full-timed numerous times for many months at a time. This trailer is supposed to be our home for an unknown period of time. I feel I have been shorted. One grey tank to be exact.

We just got a 3700PTB and have ran into the same problem. The best I can figure out is that the kitchen sink drains into the rear black tank. Since I am stationary at this time I keep it open and draining into the septic. We have a no using the back toilet policy. This is unfortunate and would love to figure out a way to fix this situation .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Not really a good idea to leave the system open as you could get sewer gasses up through the drain pipe from the septic tank.

GWRam

Not really a good idea to leave the system open as you could get sewer gasses up through the drain pipe from the septic tank.

Agreed,
I have found you can make/ shape a P trap in your sewer hose between camper and ground drain. Works well.

I am new to the forum and look forward to get and giving help about our 3700 PTB. I have the same issue/ question.
I have 2 grey tank indicators on main panel, but grey #2 seems not to work. I have an indicator in back bathroom. I have determined that shower, sink and washer flows into grey (#1). Kitchen sink, back bath sink flows into grey #2 (or I thought it was grey #2). Now I believe I have 2 black tanks and one grey ( that doesn't hold water). We have not used the back toilet yet (thank goodness) because I have been flushing the hose with back hookup since my front hookup (grey) does not hold water.
I do not see a second valve or hose hookup for back tank. I am not sure how I would flush back black tank, especially since my grey does not hold water. We are sending it in for warranty work next week, so I hope they fix it.

Sherman Roberts

jimtoo

HI livingthedream6117,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other Gateway owners will jump in soon with some help for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M