ford f350 superduty deisel 2004 4x4 short bed pulling 18k fiver

HowHow many pull 15.5k 5th wheel with above? Would air bags help? Don't want to change trucks and do not want a dually but do want to be safe. Your lnput would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Edit 15.5 is the gvwr and not 18k

Bought 2015 3500 RAM long bed dually - we love to go west and would feel much more secure up and especially down those mountains with the dually as opposed to my short bed

Last edited:

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
How many pull 18k 5th wheel with above? Would air bags help? Don't want to change trucks and do not want a dually but do want to be safe. Your lnput would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Not enough information. What is your rear end gear ratio? What is the pin weight of the RV? What is the bed payload capacity of the truck? Has the truck been setup for towing options like transmission cooler, heavy duty springs, etc. Based on your description you are at best on the hairy edge of towing a 18K 5th wheel. Also air bags do nothing to increase towing weight. All they will do is help level the truck to the RV and might improve the ride. As far as safety in my opinion you would be a lot safer with a dually.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would not trust our 2004 GMC dually to tow 16k, much less 18!! Check out fifthwheelst.com to learn about how to tow safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jam20ster

Not trying to be the safety police, but I have to agree that when you start pulling that kind of weight a dually is a must. Also, 2004 is a 6.0 and we all know the problems associated with those engines. Hopefully you have all the engine mods done to eliminate those issues.

avvidclif

How many pull 18k 5th wheel with above? Would air bags help? Don't want to change trucks and do not want a dually but do want to be safe. Your lnput would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Long story short, it's not capable of it, safely. You will be over on every category, GVWR, RAWR, GCVWR.

Bighurt

I completely agree with fifthwheelst as a reference good info.

However to each there own and each truck has it's niche. My SRW F350 hauled our Sundance ok but it was temperamental, now we are picking up a Cyclone 4100 King the weight is well over the max on the Sundance. However having hauled a 15.8k goose-neck across the country I can tell you the pin weight on the Sundance didn't put my pinion angle and driveline at it's prime. So I can imagine hauling the 14.6k cyclone with a pin weight of 3k will put me back in the sweet spot. I'm satisfied my unit will perform where I want it.

That being said we are primed to replace The F350 as the TV in the future, in the mean time I have a semi that can haul it as we need.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just saw the edit to 15.5, is that GVWR of the trailer, or dry weight? Your coach will never by "dry" or unloaded, so always calculate based on the max GVWR. (Gross vehicle weight)

I still wouldn't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justafordguy

You need to weigh the rig and truck but I bet you will be fine as long as your pin weight isn't to high. My Gateway has a very low pin weight so I'm under on everything except payload which is a joke on an f250.;)

bbear43

New to the forum and do not currently have an RV. Looking to get a Heartland Bighorn 3270RS 35 foot​
(
GVWR 15,500). Any suggestions as what tow vehicle is desirable? Diesel versus gas? Short bed versus long bed? Dually? .Any and all input appreciated. - Terry, Connie, & Rover currently in a Hyundai Elantra but looking for much more.

Bighurt

Diesel = More BTU of energy per volume than Gasoline
Bed length is personal preference, I prefer long bed.
Dually = More stability and increased safety factor over a single rear wheel truck.

danemayer

You'll definitely want a diesel. A gasoline engine will be screaming at high RPM and very poor gas mileage pulling that size of trailer.

Long bed will be more stable than a short bed. Dually will be even more stable and will be better able to handle to pin weight.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
BBEAR, you will need at least a 250-2500 (350-3500 would be better) and newer that a 2010 year model. You would kill a gas motor with a 3270. Any of the the BIG 3 trucks will work but a diesel is a must. I agree with Dan about a long bed and DRW's are the best. 2WD or 4WD depending on what you are going to do. My best advise to you is...buy more truck than you need now, because you never know if you will up grade in a few years to a heavier 5er. BTW, sent you a PM