Water Pump Stops for no Reason

CindyB

Trying to figure out if my problem is the water pump or if it's the switch that turns it on. I have a 2012 Big Country 32' fifth wheel and I'm currently cruising. Two times now, we've been "off the grid" needing to use the water pump. It seems to work fine the first day, then for no obvious reason will quit working. If I shut off the switch for a while or overnight, it'll work fine again . . . . for a while and then quit again. Toggling the switch MAY make it work again, but not necessarily. I'm thinking the problem must be the switch and not the pump. What's the solution? Check for loose wiring? Replace the switch? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. Of note is that the weather has been VERY hot! High 90's and low 100's. Surely it's not set to shut off that easily. Good thing I'm not heading to Arizona! I also noted when I shut off the switch that it was pretty hot to the touch. That's a concern. :confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If that switch is hot to the touch then for sure I would pull it out and check it.
Look for a loose wire or connector.
The switch itself may be bad so changing it out might be another avenue.

Peace
Dave

Lou_and_Bette

we've been "off the grid" needing to use the water pump. It seems to work fine the first day, then for no obvious reason will quit working. If I shut off the switch for a while or overnight, it'll work fine again . . . I also noted when I shut off the switch that it was pretty hot to the touch.. :confused:

Could this be one of the "purple monkies" the Texas RV Doctor spoke about? In other words, a battery problem. Works well " first day." Battery would self charge some over night and work again for awhile...hot switch may be due to " low voltage, increased amps"

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Could this be one of the "purple monkies" the Texas RV Doctor spoke about? In other words, a battery problem. Works well " first day." Battery would self charge some over night and work again for awhile...hot switch may be due to " low voltage, increased amps"

Good point, how are you charging/recharging the batteries? A warm/hot switch means there is a high amp draw. A loose connection will cause this. I would remove the switch and look to see if you have a loose connector or melted wires.

CindyB

Thanks, guys for such a prompt reply. Battery recharge occurs when I'm hooked up to the truck and going down the road - no extraordinary means are involved.

The switch is part of a KIB monitor panel that includes switches to the hot water heater and the gauges to all of the water and holding tanks. Pulling that looks like it's way above my pay grade, but I think you're right, that that is where the problem is. As long as I stay with full hookups, I should be fine. I'll have a professional check it out when I get home in a couple of weeks. Thanks again.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If all other 12V systems are working fine, then the battery is not the problem. To work on that KIB panel assembly, I believe you need to first pry off the cover bezel to reveal the mounting screws. If the pump switch is defective (other than a loose wire), replacing the entire panel may be the easiest route unless you can find a replacement switch at an electrical supply house.

danemayer

Do you have a 2nd switch in the UDC? If so, turn off the KIB Panel Switch and turn on the UDC switch. If the problem goes away, it's very likely the inside switch.

SGeohagan

Pulling that panel is not rocket science. I did it when our pump quit.It's a matter of taking out a few screws. Some of the wire nuts had fallen off. I checked all the wire nuts while I was at it. Haven't had a problem since.
Suzy