ATF: Bighorn - Furnace Operation while towing

DougD

Is it okay to run the furnace while towing? This would enable us to fully load the unit in the Winter and not worry about freezing items while getting to the next stopping point.

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi DougD,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I can't help you there since I live in South Texas and don't usually need to worry about towing in the cold. But some of our other members will jump in soon I'm sure with their opinions. We have lots of winter Texans come when it gets cold up North.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have never done it but I have talked to a number of people that have done it. Now Mac The Fireguy would tell you that is a bad idea to have your propane on while traveling. The danger is the wind blowing out the flame.

danemayer

If you have the temp inside at 72 (F) when you start towing, unless it's extremely cold, you won't have to worry too much about interior temps dropping below freezing during the day. Check at lunch. If interior temps drop close to freezing, you might run the furnace to warm up the trailer while eating lunch.

If it's extremely cold, before towing you can use compressed air to blow out the water lines, faucets and toilet to keep them from freezing.

You can run the furnace while towing, but just like running the refrigerator, it adds some risk. At fuel stops, always assume the guy on the other side of the pump is going to spill some gasoline (even if you're pumping less explosive diesel). Gasoline vapor and open flame --> BOOM!