Frameless Window - Water Leak

Rhyph

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to stop a water leak at the top of our frameless windows? We are on the road with it now and cannot get it in for service for a couple months. It's the largest rear window in our Big Horn 3610RE.

Thanks!

rod_s

We found the exact same issue on our 2015 BH3610 about 2 weeks after we took delivery. Water came in around the top of the rear window and was puddling on top of the entertainment center. I called the dealer immediately and after the owner talked me down off of the window ledge, the solution was very simple. First he told me to get up on a ladder and apply a wide tape (2" masking or duct) across the top and part way down the sides to stop water intrusion until I could get it to them to work on. Upon arrival at the dealership the tech invited me to watch as they worked on it so I saw first hand what happened. The window unit had dropped down in the opening to a point where the weather seal was not making contact with the fiberglass skin. They loosened the screwes that compress the window frame and raised the window in the opening to where the seal made contact and tightened screws. I could see where through traveling this could happen again so I had them apply clear caulk to the top of the frameless window and part way down each side. That was 14 months ago and no sign of water since. I did have to drop the underbelly and allow it to dry out as some water had made it that far.

If it were me I would just fill the top and side void with clear caulk, light a campfire and let the good times roll.

Gook luck.

Harry1

I had the same problem on my 2015 3010 RE Bighorn. The problem is when they installed the window it went past the seal and the seal got pinched inside. Result was hard rain/washing left water on the rear counter inside. The solution from the factory was to take it in and have that large rear window reset. My leak was occurring across the top right side. Like you I was travelling so what I did was to go to an auto parts store like Auto Zone or any auto store for that matter and bought a roll of rubber weather stripping. I used a razor knife and cut the weather stripping down the middle because it was too wide. I then pushed the rubber stripping down on the top side of the frameless window and pushed it in to fill the gap across the top of the window using a plastic putty knife. Even something like a credit card would work. I only ran it across the top where rain would sit or come in. You cannot see the rubber weather stripping once you install it. It's been a year and solved the problem 100% without the hassel of taking the rig in and having to reset that large window even with it under warranty. It worked better than trying to caulk the top of that window from the roof with black caulk and the rubber weather stripping should last a lot longer than caulking. After you do this you'll wonder why the factory didn't do the same. Takes about 30 minutes. Good luck with your choice of repair. Run some water across the top of that window and you'll see it's likely coming from the top.

Rhyph

Thanks for the suggestions and fix ideas! I'm going to try and stuff a gasket down across the top of the window. Our first opportunity off the trips we're currently on isn't until November to get it back into the dealer for it and the many other issues we're having. Seems like we all have a common problem with that window our 3610's. I was getting water initially coming in at the top of the frame and it was dripping onto the center cross member in the window divider. Later I suppose it worsened and is now travelling around the inside of the frame and it is coming out at the bottom of the window where it meets with wood wall panel above the counter top.

2e221f8eb982f429564c5cd729ac0a4a.png

aab9b9b085fd170300cf18ee5dab8bcf.jpg

a0e6d28690e16b57f213c3c5a6232e58.jpg

I'm going to point this out to my contact at Heartland as he had no suggestions on how to handle this. If you haven't seen my ownership story, I posted it in another thread recently which you can probably find via my profile if you're interested.

Thanks again!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had a some water coming in during very hard rains. Thought it was the window leaking and it turns out it was the roof where it joins the rear cap needing to be recaulked. The caulking solved the problem. I would start there.

sjandbj

ON my 2015 3150 Bug Country I am seeing the same leaks. On this model there is a large window in the curb side slide out. I did not see any leaks before we took the rig on a 2000 mile trip. During the clean up and wash and re-waxing I saw it...leaking water running down the inside of the window. While i can take it to the dealer to fix the leak I am thinking that i would be better to fix it myself. In my past rig , an Alfa, that had a large rear window there was a bead of silicon on the top adjust a few inches down the sides. I also see one post that did the same. Is there anyone else having trouble with these windows leaking. I am not sure I want to seal them if readjusting might solve the problem permanently. Any thought would be helpful.

Regards,
Steve

Roller4tan

Check the screws around the perimeter on the inside of the window. You may have to remove the valance to get to the top screws. If they are tight and it still leaks add some clear caulk along the top like I did. The clear caulk is unnoticeable from the ground.