Kitchen drawer rant

sdwelling

Bottom blew out of my large kitchen drawer, under the oven in the 4014 Cyclone. Fixed it with angle brackets that I had on the workbench. It seemed strange to me that these magical Amish carpenters are using luaun for drawer bottoms - when the bottom of the drawer is doing all the work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Simple fix, I took mine out and turned it over. I added a cross brace of moulding to the underside. Glued all along all seams with yellow wood glue. Let it dry for two days. Put it back and it is solid as a rock. No other problems after 4 years. Trace

justafordguy

Simple fix, I took mine out and turned it over. I added a cross brace of moulding to the underside. Glued all along all seams with yellow wood glue. Let it dry for two days. Put it back and it is solid as a rock. No other problems after 4 years. Trace

Sounds easy, so why didn't heartland do it that way?:confused:

ICamel

Had the same thing happen to a couple drawers in the 5r. Decided to reinforce the bottom of all the drawers with pieces of aluminum angle bar screwed into the heavier wood along the sides, front and back. No more problem.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The only drawer issues we've had is with them sliding open while on the road.

pegmikef

I have just used short wood screws on the bottom to replace the staples . . . works fine in this and also worked well in my North Trail which had the same malady.

sdwelling

We're on the same page, TandT! If I had the moulding at home that's the direction I would've gone.

Bones

I do have to wonder who is actually making the wood cabinets. Everything is press-board with a lamination on top except the door faces.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I do have to wonder who is actually making the wood cabinets. Everything is press-board with a lamination on top except the door faces.
Only on some models.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bones

Dave,
I remember very vividly while at the hershey show being showed the cabinets that were in our specific model and the Heartland rep touting that the cabinets in our unit were real wood. During that time our unit was in the line up of the luxury models. After only a month they dropped our unit from the luxury lineup and we have press-board with a sticker like wood stain lamination cabinets. All I could think of is what happened to our real wood from the hershey show.

ILH

Bottom blew out of my large kitchen drawer, under the oven in the 4014 Cyclone. Fixed it with angle brackets that I had on the workbench. It seemed strange to me that these magical Amish carpenters are using luaun for drawer bottoms - when the bottom of the drawer is doing all the work.

We had the same issue. Additionally we are having a problem with the finish chipping off. Is anybody else experiencing this?