Where to place the jack

Djknick

I recently had a blow out with the tow king tires and found myself at the side of the road wishing I had a jack with me. I just recently got this used 37QB and haven't gotten everything together for it yet. Since I got it used I don't have any manual that says where to put the jack when changing a tire. The manual I got online (2015) says to let someone else handle it. Given that may not always be possible, or that I just don't want to pay someone else to do something I can quickly do myself, where does the jack go and what would be a recommended lift capacity for the jack? Will a 3 1/2 ton jack do? I think the 37 QB is around 12,000 lbs dry weight. Thanks in advance.

danemayer

From page 32 of the 2013 Heartland Trailer Manual.

Tire Changing
1. Use emergency flares when near a road or highway.
2. Block wheels on the opposite side from the tire you
wish to change to prevent a ccidental movement.
3. Position a hydraulic jack on the frame close to the
spring hanger.
4. Raise the trailer until the tire clears the ground.

(emphasis added)

Get a 20 Ton Hydraulic Jack from Northern Tool for around $40. A smaller jack may do the job but will take a lot more effort. You'll also want a few blocks of wood above and below the jack to spread the load and shorten the amount of extension needed.

Djknick

Finally! A concrete answer. I was looking everywhere online before I remembered this forum. Should have come here first.

Thank a bunch.

ptwymer

A few months late but this worked for me. Positioned my bottle jack on 10 Lynx levelers and a wood board and on the frame next to the spring support. Lifted both wheels off the ground on one side.IMG_20160228_150639_410.jpg

JanAndBill

You'll also want a few blocks of wood above and below the jack to spread the load and shorten the amount of extension needed.

Dan I'd have to disagree with part of your statement. I was taught to never put blocks above the jack unless it's a jack pad that slips down over the ram. Jack pads can be purchased in many different configurations. Cribbing should always be stacked from the bottom up. Preferably cribbing should be of a hardwood, like oak. I know it's against conventional instruction, but I fabricated a saddle that fits over the ram on the jack, and fits to the axle. I then raise it up via the axle enough for the tire to clear. The picture is of a commercial version. Mine is more rounded to conform to the axle.
download.jpg

farside291

I was told by an RV repair facility to never place the jack under the axle because the axle tubes are very thin wall and the weight of our fifth wheels can cause the jack to crush the axle tube. Always place the jack under the frame or if that is not possible to use the spring hanger.

JanAndBill

I was told by an RV repair facility to never place the jack under the axle because the axle tubes are very thin wall and the weight of our fifth wheels can cause the jack to crush the axle tube. Always place the jack under the frame or if that is not possible to use the spring hanger.

The pressure exerted on the axle tube by the jack pad/saddle is actually less than the u-bolts and pads. Wouldn't advise placing a jack under the equalizer or the hanger.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

For me I never use a jack. I'll loosen the lug nuts first the pull the good tire up on a block or blocks of wood, what ever it takes to get the flat tire high enough off the ground to replace it. I've been doing this for years on My big 40' tayhauler, A fully loaded stock trailer, car trailer, quad trailer, You name it. And ones it's up in the air it cant fall.

Djknick

Thank you all for the advice. Since I posted this thread a few months ago i purchased a double ram bottle jack. When I was looking under the rig it seemed a long way from the ground to the frame where I intend to put the jack. Rather than carrying around lots of extra wood (although I do carry some) I opted for this jack. It will extend to something like 25" and should work well for my rig and my truck.