How do you carry Kayaks ?

oldfitter

I am looking for a good system for carrying kayaks either on roof of truck or anywhere. The back of trailer wont do as Kayaks are 13 ft. 6 in. long. I found a front mount hitch and Thule goal post with one roof rack. I wanted to use Thule hullavators but they dont make a rack for my my truck. And I am not about to drill holes in the roof of a new truck. Any body else carrying Kayaks.

z06

I have a Hobie Pro Angler 14. Recently sold toy hauler and bought a fifth wheel. Going to make a rack this weekend to load Hobie on truck. mounting rack to tow hooks and forward stake holes in bed.

Mrsfish

I am taking advantage of some chapter members and posting their truck. I think this is a really cool set up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 140

Geodude

We carry two Necky Manitou kayaks that are 14'4" long. I have a Thule Goalpost (modified) and a front hitch, and use Thule saddles. Here's a picture:

2015-07-13 13.17.42.jpg

z06

Z06, pictures when finished, please.
Finished up my rack to carry my Hobie Pro Angler. Since this kayak weighs 140 lbs I made the front fold down a little to get back of kayak started and then push it up onto rack from front of truck. Cross bars have PVC rollers. All aluminum and removes from truck with two quick pins and two bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_3160.jpg
    IMG_3160.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3161.jpg
    IMG_3161.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3162.jpg
    IMG_3162.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 110

Bohemian

Finished up my rack to carry my Hobie Pro Angler. Since this kayak weighs 140 lbs I made the front fold down a little to get back of kayak started and then push it up onto rack from front of truck. Cross bars have PVC rollers. All aluminum and removes from truck with two quick pins and two bolts.

When are you going into production? You have a unique high quality solution. The only thing I have seen that looks both safe and good for canoes and other long boats.

sjandbj

Very nice. The pictures look wonderful. Do you have any drawings with dimensions. This rack has so many potential uses.
Steve

Diamondjim

Great solution to a thorny problem.
Did you do the welding yourself? Not sure my welding skills would be up for doing aluminum.
Enjoy your design!

Oregon_Camper

Looks great. Question....how loud is the wind noise as you go down the road at 65mph??

z06

Looks great. Question....how loud is the wind noise as you go down the road at 65mph??

Not bad, but you do hear it above 50mph.

- - - Updated - - -

When are you going into production? You have a unique high quality solution. The only thing I have seen that looks both safe and good for canoes and other long boats.

Probably would be more than most would want to spend considering the time involved. It is a really well made rack. Doesn't show up in pictures, but there are a lot of machined parts as well as the bending and welding.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice. The pictures look wonderful. Do you have any drawings with dimensions. This rack has so many potential uses.
Steve

Have no drawings. Would be happy to get you dimensions if you want them along with detailed pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Great solution to a thorny problem.
Did you do the welding yourself? Not sure my welding skills would be up for doing aluminum.
Enjoy your design!

Welding done by friend. Beyond my skills also.

Flyerone

When using a front Thule goalpost and one roof rack, how do you load a heavier kayak by yourself? I'm not getting any younger and just the thought of trying to muscle that thing up there makes me tired. I have a Cobra tandem kayak.

Geodude

It's a two person job, loading the boats. If I had to do it alone I think I'd look at the fancy shmancy Hull-a-vator.