Cb radio

ACEB36TC

Hi all!

This is my first post on the board.

I need some advice on which is the BEST set up for a CB on our rig. We have a 2013 Cyclone 4000 with an `11 Ram 3500 dually. What I`m wondering is actually about the antenna setup more than the radio aspect. I am considering a "bendover" mount for my truck bed so that I can get the height required to get ABOVE the coach profile and at the same time fold the antenna down or backwards so that it does not hit the ceiling in my carport where I park the truck at night. I could use a front bumper mount however that would substantially increase the length of the antenna. Another possibility would be to mount a semi-permanent antenna on the roof of the coach and simply plug into the antenna when I hook up the trailer.

Thanks in Advance!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
IMO you should not need to do all of that. I have a stainless steel under the hood mount and a 4 ft steel whip antenna on my F350. The bracket bolts in under the edge of the hood and is L shaped. We have had this set up during the ownership of a slide in, 2 5 ers and our TT. I have never had an issue receiving or transmitting. I had a cb shop do my set up and calibrate the antenna.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've been wanting to dig out my old Uniden CB radio and hook it up.

Can't help but think that I might have been alerted much sooner by a passing trucker when we had our wheel bearing burnout on our previous Heartland Trail Runner last January.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Haven't used our CB for a long long time ... used to be KYA1388 ... one of the few that had a FCC license for the CB. Hey Good Buddy...You Gotcha Ears On? How bout a west bound Smokey report...

jimtoo

40roger there JG.... got tha Texas Rebel here... clean to xit 101... letr roll.

Wish the language was that clean now... I took my CB out last year... to much cussin.

Jim M

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
During our campout two weeks ago in Williams AZ they had a CB Fest going on at the fairgrounds. A 5th wheeler next to my site had a CB in his truck, not sure about his RV, but had a small antenna on his truck and another small one on his rear ladder...Not sure if it was a repeater or what but He was on his CB in his truck for hours late in the evenings....Never used one but I would think they are great for traveling around the country.

I usually leave mine turned down real low or off because of the language, but it is nice to have when a traffic issue comes up and you wonder what lane to be in or what is happening ahead --- not real necessary to have real special set-up, if you just need information.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Believe it or not, I used to use one when I was in College! To go home was about 90min on interstate, so I'd talk to the truckers, checking on traffic and highway patrol. "breaker breaker one nine, for a radio check! Ladybug here, got my ears on." (I drove a VW Beetle.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Erika:

You know I can see the picture in my mind right now, you driving like Smokey and the Bandit, flying down the highway in your Bug!!!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

As a truck diver here in California, I can't handle 2 minutes of that thing. The only ones that talk on it all day long are the guys with the big units at home that talk smack to every one trying to get under there skin. The few truckers that still use it are guys that run together and we are always on a higher channel away from the BS. Also there is no buddy system out here anymore, with the variety of drivers on the road these days. Maybe it's better back East.

Last edited:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Not nearly as much "chatter" as there was back in the day. I got my CB out of storage and set it back up. It was checked by a professional and everything is working, but there isn't anything going on it any more. Apparently many drivers now use their cell phone for info (MHO).