I told my self, "Self, don't arc the battery"...then my "self" did ;)

myla296

I was removing the battery to troubleshoot why it's not holding charge (took it home to charge it tonight), and when I was swinging that socket wrench, I made contact between the two poles and sparks flew, until I knocked it away. I'll be going back to the RV tomorrow. Since I don't have direct electricity and am depending on the generator, I am limited on my troubleshooting in terms of testing what may have happened to my 50amp stuff (hopefully nothing since it was the battery?). Anybody know what I can expect? I do have an extensive circuit breaker box at least, but I think I need to find a fuse from the battery to the other stuff...and I'm worried about the generator itself. Thoughts? Thanks in advance! (oh, and I'm not under warranty but I'm pretty sure I would have violated it anyway by touching the RV in the first place!)

bighorn3370

You should be fine with your 50 amp. You my have tripped a resettable breaker. Also may have blown a fuse. To help you find any of these, we would need to know which Heartland product you have.

myla296

You should be fine with your 50 amp. You my have tripped a resettable breaker. Also may have blown a fuse. To help you find any of these, we would need to know which Heartland product you have.
Thanks for the reassurance! It's a 2010 Road Warrior

danemayer

The arc may have blown the fuses on the Power Converter which converts 110V AC into 12V DC to keep the battery charged and run the lights and some of your appliance control boards. On Road Warriors and most larger 5th wheels, the converter is probably behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage.

When you put the battery back in, check with a volt meter to see what the voltage is with generator running. If the converter is working, voltage will be around 13.5V DC. If the converter is not working, voltage will be 12.4 or lower.

myla296

The arc may have blown the fuses on the Power Converter which converts 110V AC into 12V DC to keep the battery charged and run the lights and some of your appliance control boards. On Road Warriors and most larger 5th wheels, the converter is probably behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage.

When you put the battery back in, check with a volt meter to see what the voltage is with generator running. If the converter is working, voltage will be around 13.5V DC. If the converter is not working, voltage will be 12.4 or lower.

What is the amperage of the fuse? (blade type, right?) I'd like to purchase it before I visit the RV tomorrow, and hope to have AC while I work on it :)

And thanks for the voltage info, that will be helpful always and forever!!! (and probably helpful for my other RV friends who are all still learning too :)